- Bait-and-Switch Comment: When Gabriel claims to have earned his wings, Homer takes it for further evidence that Gabriel is an angel but Gabriel means a CD titled "The Best of Wings".
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: A lot of Simpsons fans have claimed this episode is an allegory of how Mike Scully's reign as Simpsons showrunner has ruined the show (represented by the Republican Club's decision to pollute the environment, causing acid rain to destroy the town and The Simpsons' fighting during a game of Monopoly) and Al Jean (represented as the allegedly angelic social worker) is brought in to fix the show's past mistakes (represented by the social worker observing the family's behavior and calling them out on their unhealthy actions and the Vegas wives from season 10's "Viva Ned Flanders" returning)note
- Hope Spot: The Simpsons seemingly have resolved their issues...Then Homer's Vegas wife shows up. Later, Homer says he'll get his second marriage annulled. The next scene shows Judge Harm ruling both marriages valid based on the fact that bigamy is legal in Nevada.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: As the Simpsons are going home, having seemingly settled their conflicts, Lisa wonders "Will this be the end of our series... of adventures?"
- Magical Negro: Homer is convinced Gabriel is one, much to his annoyance.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gabriel gives a very succinct, powerful one after telling Homer he has a lot of problems. It's also the only time he raises his voice:Homer: Which is society's fault because-Gabriel: It's your fault!
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The social worker when he sees Homer's Vegas wife.
- Homer's Vegas wife's reaction to her marriage to Grampa Abe, nullifying Homer's own Vegas marriage.