Recap: South Park S 1 E 7 Pinkeye
Airdate: October 29, 1997In the first Halloween episode, Kenny gets crushed by the MIR space station and comes back to life as a zombie (thanks to a morgue accident involving Worcestshire sauce), causing a Zombie Apocalypse, which the town thinks is a pinkeye epidemic. Meanwhile, Cartman gets in trouble for wearing a Hitler costume to school and Stan breaks up with Wendy after she goes to school dressed as Chewbacca rather than Raggedy Anne.
"Pinkeye" contains examples of:
- Badass: The boys (minus Kenny) when they're chainsawing zombies to buy Kyle time to call the Worcestshire Sauce hotline.
- Establishing Character Moment: Cartman's love of Hitler begins in this episode.
- I Was Young and Needed the Money: What Mrs. Cartman said to Cartman about being on the cover of Crack Whore Magazine. Stan and Kyle quickly say that it was this month's issue.
- No Ontological Inertia: Played gruesomely straight. Killing the zombified Kenny magically turns all of the other undead denizens of South Park back to normal. Too bad it doesn't bring them back to life.
- Really Gets Around: Mrs. Cartman's promiscuity was further established in this episode and it's also mentioned that she's on the cover of Crack Whore Magazine.
- Shout-Out: Zombie Chef's song and the dance routine is a parody of Thriller by Michael Jackson.
- Zombie Chef opening his jacket and going "OOOOOOOOH!" is from the music video of Michael Jackson's song "Black and White".
- Skewed Priorities: When the boys, save Kenny (who is a zombie) are told by Chef about the zombie attack on the town, they immediately come to the conclusion that if everyone's a zombie, there'll be no way for them to get candy from trick-or-treating.
- Stylistic Suck: The video about Adolf Hitler being a naughty man.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Kenny is crushed by the MIR space station and due to the morgue accident involving Worcestshire sauce, is revived as a zombie. At the end of the episode, he's killed to end the zombie attack since he was the start of it. And then after being buried, he rises from the dead only to be crushed by a statue and a plane.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Stan gives Wendy an earful after she doesn't go as Raggedy Ann when they were going to go as Raggedy Andy and Ann together but she decided to go for the Chewbacca costume. They make up after the zombie attack is over.
- Would Hurt a Child: Invoked when Chef says, "Remind me to whup your ass good next time I see you," to Cartman. Justified since Cartman was (unknowingly) dressed as a Klansman.