November 19, 1997
The boys send money to an African charity to get a sports watch, but they instead get an Ethiopian orphan which they name “Starvin' Marvin”, while Cartman gets sent to Ethiopia. Meanwhile, mutant turkeys attack South Park and Chef rallies everyone to fight back.
"Starvin' Marvin" contains examples of:
- Aesop Amnesia: Mephesto didn't learn his lesson about leaving nature alone and tries to say the same aesop and Chef cuts him off.
- Bittersweet Ending: The turkeys are defeated, but Marvin's required to go back to Ethiopia, though he can take the turkeys with him to feed fellow Ethiopians. And even though Kenny's family got some canned food for Thanksgiving, Kenny was killed and they don't have a can opener.
- Borrowed Catchphrase: Starvin' Marvin borrows some of Cartman's while Cartman's been sent to Ethiopia.
- Jerkass: Mayor McDaniels, who chooses to ignore and mock Mephesto when he's trying to warn her about the turkeys.
- Cartman for stealing food from Starvin' Marvin's plate when they were at the All You Can Eat buffet.
- Pet the Dog: Cartman's exposing Sally Struthers' stealing food from the starving Ethiopians, even if it was partially due to his being hungry and pissed off.
- Shout-Out: The fight between the people of South Park and the turkeys had Chef doing the "They will never take our freedom." speech from Braveheart. A turkey then does it as well shortly afterwards.
- Take That: Sally Struthers was mocked in this episode and was reportedly saddened and offended by her portrayal in this episode. Trey Parker explained had some interesting things to say on the commentary for the episode:
"Dude, you're really setting yourself up if you're going to be that fat and go on the air talking about starving children. We don't think she's a bad person, she's probably nice to try to do this, but cut down on the Twinkies a little bit before going on the air."
- They Killed Kenny: Kenny is killed by the turkeys when they attack South Park.