Recap / South Park S 1 E 9 Mr Hankey The Christmas Poo
December 17, 1997
Kyle's mom protests against her son being in the Nativity play, due to being Jewish, which leads to the town abolishing anything that could be considered offensive during the holiday season.
This episode contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Gerald and Sheila are incredibly dismissive of Kyle and his beliefs in Mr. Hankey and allows him to be thrown into a mental asylum.
- Artistic License – Religion: Sheila complains about Kyle playing Joseph in the Christmas pageant because he's Jewish. Joseph of Aramathea was in fact Jewish, and the Joseph who was Jesus' mortal father wasn't Joseph of Aramathea.
- Christmas Episode
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: Chef encourages the other kids to believe in Mr. Hanky at the beginning of the fourth act. This causes Mr. Hanky to appear to them normal, not as an ordinary lump of poo.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Pip is seen with parents and a supposed sister (the red-haired girl), and his father even has a line in the ending song. In "Summer Sucks," it's revealed that Pip is an orphan who has to stay in summer school, as he has no parents. Knowing Pip, either those were his parents and they died between this episode and "Summer Sucks" or those were his adoptive parents and they either died or neglected him.
- Hypocrite: After complaining about the pageant's insensitivity to other religions, she suggests replacing the Christian theme with The Dreidel Song. Apparently it's more tolerant to have Jewish only themes in the play.
- Moral Guardians: Once again, Sheila.
Sheila: This is an offense to the Jewish community.
Mr. Garrison: You ARE the Jewish community.
- Musical Episode
- Never My Fault: After the pageant is ruined by their nitpicking, the various culture groups of South Park all blame each other.
Sheila Brovloski: What the hell is this? This is horrible!
Priest Maxi: This is the most god awful piece of crap I've ever seen.
Mr Garrison: Hey, you're the ones who made it this way.
Priest Maxi: Yes, because the Jews said it couldn't be Christian.
Gerald Brovloski: It wasn't our idea to take out Santa Claus.
Tree Protestor: All you bastards ruined Christmas!
- Parody Commercial: In the muddle of the religious groups' brawl, a commercial for a Mr. Hanky playset is aired in lieu of a real commercial.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: Mercilessly lampooned. Every subculture in town protests to get things removed from the Christmas, such as Christmas lights for epileptics and for some reason, mistletoe. The end result leads to a bland pageant with kids dancing in grey leotards (to music by Phillip Glass) which no one enjoys, leading to a violent, and very discriminate war.
- Real After All: Mr. Hankey
- Running Gag: Craig being forced to sit outside Mr. Mackey's office.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Cartman's reaction when Mr. Hanky comes to life in front of him and his friends.
Cartman: Talking poo is where I draw the line.
- Take That: The episode satirizes the "War on Christmas" and people wanting to tone down the religious elements so the holidays can cater to every religious group.
- The Villain Sucks Song: "Kyle's Mom is a Stupid Bitch (in D Minor)"
- They Killed Kenny Again: The episode threatened it a few times by placing Kenny in peril, but he survives to the end of the episode, with a huge lampshade hung on this fact.
- What the Hell, Hero?: After the town complains about the lackluster pageant, Mr Garrison is quick to point out they made it that way in the first place, leading them to all blame each other for escalating things.