Recap: South Park S 16 E 12 A Nightmare On Face Time
Airdate: October 24, 2012In this parody of The Shining, Randy buys an abandoned Blockbuster video in a failed attempt at reviving the video rental business (which is going downhill thanks to Internet and streaming programs like Netflix) and goes insane trying to upkeep it. Meanwhile, Stan uses his iPad to go trick-or-treating with Cartman, Kenny, and Kyle.
"A Nightmare on Face Time" contains examples of:
- Brick Joke: Randy walks by Shelley pouring gasoline all over the store and later, the Blockbuster is burnt down.
- Continuity Nod: At one point, Cartman is mistaken for Honey Boo-Boo, a reference to "Raising the Bar".
- Cartman is also mistaken for Bruce Vilanch, a reference to "The Coon" and "Coon vs. Coon and Friends."
- At one point, you can see a video cover for a film called The Moose Who Wouln't Die with a picture of Sarah Jessica Parker in a moose suit. This is a reference to "The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs".
- Idiot Ball: Everyone in this episode who treated the Ipad Stan was face timing on as if he were really there, but special regards to the cop who played the body for Stans's costume at the party who, once a crazed Randy took over went on a destructive rampage breaking into houses and terrorising the town as if there wasn't an entirely separate person in the costume apart from the Ipad. One cop even lampshades this, but another shushes him in front of the sergeant.
- On both sides of the Blockbuster argument in this episode. Randy is holding it indefinitely when he believes customers will come. Whilst the rest of the town that has moved on to rental sites such as Netflix exaggerates how old and boring Blockbuster is by treating it like it's a haunted house.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: The robbers "torture" Stan (who is on an iPad screen) by scratching the screen he's on.
- Kubrick Stare: Randy gives off a couple of these.
- Sanity Slippage: Randy
- Take That
- The Unintelligible: Averted for once, Kenny has understandable, albeit distorted, lines while in costume.
- Whole Plot Reference: Randy's story is a reference to The Shining.