Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 08 E 22 Overdrawn At The Memory Bank
Film watched: Overdrawn at the Memory BankThis episode was hard to do, as the Brains explained that Raul Julia died three years prior. Nevertheless, they did the episode anyway due to the film's incoherent Technobabble.
- Crow has boxes of T-shirts with his classic catchphrase "You Know You Want Me, Baby!" around the bridge, which confuses Mike.
- Mike tries his hand at catchphrases, but all his choices are lame. Pearl starts Public Pearl TV as a way to suck money from gullible liberal donors. Servo is convinced and calls for the free tote bag from Public Pearl. "The Nature of Bobo" is played, with Brain Guy running commentary while Bobo eats.
- Crow and Servo get a monkey, which they named Henry Kissinger, from "instant monkeys online". Henry, loose on the SOL, throws stuff on Mike's "threatening" stances. He calls Henry down, but the two Bots ditch Mike by Commercial Sign, leading to more thrown stuff.
- Mike still has stuff thrown from Henry. Meanwhile, Public Pearl previews Pearl's program, "Pearl! Pearl! Pearl! Pearl! Pearl!" She sings "When Loving Lovers Love" with Brain Guy.
- Servo dopples himself into the Nanite world, but ends up in a bad part of town. Nano-Servo then gets beat up by two Nanite mooks.
- Bobo is brought aboard to help with Henry throwing problems. Mike then uses a blowgun on the simians, much to Crow and Servo's objections. The Public Pearl TV scam is successful for Pearl, with her rolling in the dough.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation has examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: "Public Pearl" is either this or a Take That (or perhaps both) to PBS.
- Catch Phrase: Crow suddenly declares his is "You know you want me, baby!" to justify a huge T-shirt order. Mike tries to pick one out for himself, and fails.
- Mike: "We're all out of toner!" "Don't run on my wet floor!" "Secretary please read the minutes, uh..." "Let go of it slappy!note "
- Forced Meme: The sketch was based on the official fan club having problems selling those shirts, because they used the line instead of one of Crow's actual catch phrases.
- Call Back:
- "Hey, it's TV's Frank!"
- One of Pearl's network's shows is "Mike Nelson: Lord Of The Dance" based on the opening host segment of the Jack Frost episode, complete with footage.
- The song that plays before Pearl's show starts is the MST Hour theme.
- Department of Redundancy Department:Pearl: And now, a very special preview of a special pledge week special.
- And, of course, the name of the song that follows: "When Loving Lovers Love".
Servo: Get your monkeys - instantly - with instant monkeys online!
- The instant monkeys online jingle. Mike is humming it while looking around to locate Daisy.
- The music played in the early scenes with Fingal walking around his workplace also seems to be this; Mike hums along the first time it's played, and when it gets played the second time he and the 'bots start singing "So Happy Together" over the surprisingly fitting bass track.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Inspired by Daisy the Baboon, the 'bots order a monkey they name Henry Kissinger ("because of his scowl/scalp"). Mike gets to spend the remaining host segments trying to placate the off-screen ape as it hurls objects at him.
- Things get worse when Bobo, who was originally brought up to talk her down, thinks hurling objects from the rafters is a good idea.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: During the movie, Fingal observes some monkeys cartwheeling down a hill and remarks that it looks like fun. Crow responds "Actually, that does look like fun, Mike. If I could do that, I'd basically never stop."
- Fantastic Racism: Some of Mike and the bots' riffs suggest that this movie really seems to have something against anteaters.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:Fingal: I'm interfaced!Servo: BFD!
- Gigantic Gulp: Bobo drinks from one during the Wildlife Commentary Spoof "The Nature of Bobo".
- Hilarious in Hindsight: MST3K is heading to public television.
- And, Mike, Kevin and Bill did later get to tackle Casablanca by itself.
- Inherently Funny Words: "Fingal."
- "You want to tinkle, Fingal? How 'bout some Pringles, Fingal?"
- "You make me tingle, Fingal. Fingal, are you single? Give me a jingle."
- "I've got spurs that Jingle Jangle Jingle."
- "Please, I can see your little Fingal."
- "I wouldn't want to bungle or bobble the Fingal dopple."
- Last-Second Word Swap: "What was he doing in this piece of ssssurely very quality, quality program"
- Late to the Punchline: "Oh I get it, 'cause they're wearing hats!"
- Laugh Track: Servo tries to provide one for Crow's new Catch Phrase (see above). The tape player doesn't work very well.
- MondegreenFingal: Mom... 'm I nuts?Servo: "My nuts"?
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: According to the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, the crew consciously worked to avoid offending people by insulting the recently late Raul Julia, the only quality actor in the whole film. Even Pearl herself calls him "a very wonderful actor" before asking "what was he doing in this piece of ssssssurely very quality, quality program".
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: When Fingal enters "The Place"Crow: Hey, a midget rabbi cowboy!Servo: Libby I Oy vey!
- Notable Original Music / Silly Love Songs: Pearl and Brain Guy's wonderful duet, "Loving Lovers' Love".
- "And loving lovers love as loving lovers love..."Pearl: I really do like... pie...Observer: I know... a couple guys, I... (Observer looks frustrated and ready to give up the Lyrical Shoehorn)Pearl: They really do like pie.
- Shown Their Work: They basically nail those musical specials shown on PBS during the 80's.
- "And loving lovers love as loving lovers love..."
- Offhand Backhand: Bobo delivers one to Observer during the "Nature of Bobo" documentary.
Fingal: Here's looking at you kid.Crow: Here's looking at U Thant.Servo: Here's looking at ubiquitous.Mike: Here's looking at Ulysses.
- Mike groans in anticipation of Servo's "Cube-an" joke.
- Mike's one to talk; his "Figleaf of my imagination" gag went over just slightly better.
- Servo lets out a stilted, fake "Ha ha ha that is funny" in response to the movie's very title.
- Fingal to Apollonia,
- Product Placement: The aforementioned "You Know You Want Me Baby!" shirts, made by the fan club.
- Running Gag: Fingal's hatred of anteaters.
- A lot of fat and food jokes are made about the obese villain.
- Screw Yourself: Fingal encounters Rick!Fingal,Crow: I'm gonna score with me tonight!
- When Fingal tells his blonde coworker he's bored of sex with her, Crow remarks, "So that's why you kept shouting out William Hurt's name!", a reference to Kiss of the Spider Woman.
- "Doctor Who...the hell cares?" The line occurs during a shot of a spinning cube, referencing the season-long "Key of Time" story arc.
- During a shot of a similar multicolored cube, Servo says that it must be Christmas on the Borg ship.
- A shot of the rehab facility with NIRVANA visibly written on the floor immediately draws a riff of "Come, as you are, to my mall, to my atrium, yeah yeah!"
- "I'll see you on the dark side of Raul!"
- The bad part of the Nanite world has "Jodi" graffitied on the ground.
- When the villain enters a bar in the climax, they hum the theme to The Good The Bad And The Ugly... replacing the last three notes with belches and fart noises.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Crow - "Wanda Cannon? Now that's a porno name if I've ever heard one... not that I've ever heard one. I don't subscribe to lots of publications or anything."
- Take That:
Crow: Someone beat up George Will!Servo: Good!Mike: Yes.
- When Apollonia/Fingal's Mom avatar dies.
- Specifically averted with regards to the then recently deceased Raul Julia, as the Brains went out of their way to avoid anything that could seem like an attack on him and had Pearl specifically call him a "really wonderful actor."
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: When Fingal manages to make it snow.Mike: This is how much pure cocaine you would need to enjoy this movie.
- Wildlife Commentary Spoof: Brain Guy attempts to study Bobo in this manner during a clip from the Public Pearl TV program "The Nature of Bobo". The joke is that Bobo is doing some very urbane things.
- Wondrous Ladies Room: Invoked when Fingal opens a door and sudden finds himself in a sumptuous villa's courtyard, to talk to the Chairman's digital avatar. The 'Bots conclude he's in the Ladies' Room.
Fingal: "Mom...'m I nuts?"