The MST3K presentation of this movie contains examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Joel and the Bots mishear Bix Dugan's name as "Big Stupid", and keep referring to him as such.
- Alternate Ending/Fix Fic: The final host segment consists of Joel and the Bots rewriting the ending to remove Carrie's death from the plot. The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide explains that this really was very therapeutic for everyone involved with the show.
- Canon Discontinuity: Crow and Servo, upset at the ending, come up with their own instead, which involves Carrie living, Jesse getting abducted by aliens, Danny and Bix taming dinosaurs in a post-apocalyptic world, and a kingdom of pygmies. Caught up in the general enthusiasm, TV's Frank comes up with his own, which involves Bix as a being of pure energy.
- Contemplate Our Navels: Literally — Crow and Tom each drill themselves a bellybutton. Upon getting his, Crow starts contemplating it.
- Continuity Nod: "To live like the E-lam, to be like the E-lam..."
- Joel and the Bots compare Jesse to Torgo.
- Cutting the Knot: When Crow and Tom's attempt at recreating the alley beating scene with Joel keeps failing, they opt to just beat him up while he's playing pinball.
- Ho Yay: "And once again, Bix saves Danny from a heterosexual experience."
- In-Name-Only: The Bots' Alternate Ending for this movie.
- Mondegreen: Joel and the 'bots mishear Bix Dugan as "Big Stupid" and continue to call him this. They're not far off.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Crow and Servo's alternate ending is just full of this.
- Spoof Aesop: In Crow and Servo's bizarre alternate ending to the movie.Servo: And the moral is "Never love a pygmy!"Crow: Because... they're immortal!Servo: Yeah!Crow: And they can fly!Servo: Mm-hm!Crow: And you can't fly!
- They Killed Kenny Again: TV's Frank gets nailed through the skull with a railroad spike.
- Train Song: "The Train Song" a.k.a. "What a Pleasant Journey".
- Painful Rhyme: "Circle Pines" and "magazines" (Joel changed the latter's pronunciation from "maga-zeens" to "maga-zeyens").
- With Lyrics: Joel and the Bots make lyrics up for the movie's theme tune. See Crowning Moment of Funny.Joel: (singing) The Girl In Lovers' Lane...
Crow: With Jack Elam, not Jack La-Lanne. (Servo: Not La-La-a-ane...)
Joel: And lots of actors, there's no time to name...
Crow: A screenplay by Jo Heims that's pretty lame. (Servo: Pretty lame...)
Servo: The entire crew, feels a sense of shame. (Crow: Shame.) If only they'd had / half a brain / they could attain / a measure of fame / from a film like Shane! / But no. To their disdain, / The Girl In Lov-ers Lane!
Joel: (Makes Rawhide whip crack noise.)