To Be Continued Right Now
TO BE CONTINUED
As Alice and Bob
take their Wiki Walk
, they find something... new
. What could it be?
You'll find that out and more On the Next
... I mean, on this very page.
or plot resolution is set up to be explained in the next episode or following a commercial break, but is then immediately explained. As you probably can guess; this trope is always Played for Laughs
, To Be Continued
. Compare The Reveal
, Find Out Next Time
Anime and Manga
- One episode of Cromartie High School, two plots to it, one of which was that no one ever cares to know "Hokuto's Lackey"'s name. The other plot was resolved in the next episode. the teaser for the next episode plays with this by informing in advance that Hokuto's Lackey will never be named.
- When the Straw Hats meet Brook in One Piece, he explains that the reason he's a skeleton and the reason he has no shadow or reflection are two different things.
Brook: To be continued.
Sanji: TELL US NOW!!
- The Simpsons Movie did this around the start of Act IV, with "To Be Continued" appearing on screen, and then followed by "Immediately" not long after.
- A go-to Running Gag in The Stinger of Arrested Development episodes. They would all be set up with The Narrator saying "on the next Arrested Development..." followed by the resolution of a gag in the current episode, and the next episode having nothing to do with that gag. Particularly noticeable in the episode "The Ocean Walker", where the stinger is the next couple seconds of the same scene, and the next episode is set days later.
- Before the 2005 revival, Doctor Who was repackaged in the US (and other places too?) as "movies" with a full story - or leastwise four or five episodes - all put together in one presentation, cutting out the opening/closing credits for all but the opening of the first and closing of the last episode. So the cliffhanger of any given episode tends to be resolved immediately.
- Penn & Teller Tell A Lie: During the "Linen Armor" sequence, they appear to cut to commercial, featuring an American Chopper ad, only for Penn and Teller to interrupt, saying they're in charge here, and they're not going to make you wait 3 minutes to see what happens.
- The Gift Shop Sketch from That Mitchell and Webb Look consists entirely of Previously On and On the Next segments, meaning that it does a lot of this.
- Eternal Darkness has an insanity effect that tells the player the game is to be continued in the sequel, then the effect ends and the game continues.
- Arfenhouse the movie has a scene where the animation stops and the words "to be continued..." are displayed on the screen. After a short pause, the words disappear and the animation resumes.
- The 13th episode of Dragon Ball Abridged ends with this, as the narrator talks about the appearance of Frieza and his lieutenants, Zarbon and Dodoria.
[Dramatic music stars playing] A new evil has revealed its face. Who are these mysterious enemies? And do Gohan
stand a chance? The answer to these questions will be revealed... [Music swells] right now! [Closeup of each villain] Zarbon, Dodoria, Frieza, and oh my
- Parodied in the low-budget stop-motion animation short, Attack of the Zombie Cupcakes, in which the introductory comic leads into this phrase.
- Also parodied in theThe Nostalgia Critic's review of Captain America (1990), to the tune of the the '60s Batman show tune
How will Captain America get out of this one???? Will he turn the White House into rubble? Or will he escape to have his American ass beaten once more???? Tune in next time... which is... Right now!
- The Strong Bad Email "Cliffhangers" does this a lot, with Strong Bad calling up "cliffhangers" (That had not been seen in any of the shorts before that email) and showing the resolutions right after the cliffhanging "To be continued". Best example would probably be the one with Srong Bad as Space Captainface.
Narrator: Will Cap and Strap make it out of this one? Tune in next time to-
Strong Bad: Yeah, no. Just cut to the resolution.
Will this page have a stinger...?
Find out!... Three seconds ago.