Season 9, Episode 01The Projected Man
Film watched: The Projected Man
This episode introduces Castle Forrester as a permanent home for Pearl and her minions (and as a Suspiciously Similar Substitute
for Deep 13).
Tropes from the MST3K episode include:
- Actor Allusion/Continuity Nod: The guys recognize Bryant Haliday from Devil Doll and make a few jokes off his role in it.
- As another Continuity Nod, the characters have a bit of fun with the fact that one character is named Mitchell.
- British Teeth: Apparently, the most colorful thing besides the throw pillows.
- Eating the Eye Candy: Everybody starts enjoying the movie when Sheila strips down to her underwear.
Crow: "I declare this movie suddenly great!"
- For the Evulz: The Bots claim they're transporting Mike's most treasured possessions someplace else with their homemade projector, but they're likely just burning them all up for a laugh.
- Genre Savvy: Mike manages to realize this by the end, and then tricks the Bots into destroying something Servo loved.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Blanchard cuts Paul's funding and tells him to dismantle his equipment, a serious dick move considering Paul's demonstration was sabotaged. However, Mike and the bots agree with Blanchard around the time Paul tries to recklessly perform the experiment on himself.
- Later, Crow amends this — Blanchard should have held a proper hearing first. In fact, he thinks that was the whole movie's Aesop.
- Lame Pun Reaction: When the police are mystified by the inexplicable electrocution deaths of three crooks, Crow is quick to quip "Shocking, isn't it?" Mike, as usual, didn't appreciate the pun.
- Lieutenant Obvious: The police shoot at Paul.
Policeman: "Hey, careful! Be sure to hit him!"
Tom Servo: "Thanks, Lt. Obvious!"
- Running Gag:
- "I want you."
- Prof. Lembach, and whether or not he's staying much longer. There's even a host segment dedicated to this.
- Paul's flaming orange hair
- Paul's "panic" supposedly excusing his murder of 11 people and a cat.
- Trying to teleport a girl's knickers as part of an experiment.
- Secret Legacy: While searching the castle, Pearl discovers that she and Clayton weren't the first Forresters trying to drive people mad:
Pearl: Amathos Forachenta Forrester trapped a man in a cave and pushed in bad paintings of the hunt.
- Take That: At the very beginning upon learning they're finally back in the present day, Mike and the Bots rejoice over the fact that they can watch Ethan Hawke movies again, only to immediately take it back by stating that's actually a horrible fate.
- Theme Naming: Apparently all female Forresters are named for gems and precious stones.
- Touch of Death: Crow develops this. Mike thinks he's having another one of his 'episodes', but is electrocuted upon touching him and dies. Luckily, Crow is able to revive him by touching him again.
"Lembach is staying in London for another few days."