The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation has examples of:
- Becoming the Mask: Crow once again decides he's a character from the movie (a Solarite in this case.)
- Excessive Steam Syndrome: Tom Servo explains this: "Look, there's the problem, their dryer's leaking."
- Flashback Effects: After Frank returns to his spacesuit, the movie kicks off a flashback sequence with some swirling effects, which continue throughout. Mike and the 'bots were not impressed:Crow: Come on, we didn't like these scenes the first time!
Mike: What if these flashbacks lap themselves?
Servo: (as a Solarite) Can I go out, please?
Crow: No fair! You can't flash back to stuff we saw ten seconds ago!
- Flashback... Back... Back...: Parodied, as Frank drifts through space early in the movie.Servo: Congratulations, Mrs. Astronaut, it's a boy... boy... boy...
Mike: Wake up, Frank. You wet the bed... bed... bed...
Crow: Frank, you'll have to take third grade again... gain... gain...
Mike: Mr. Chapman, this is Western Financial Collections. Do you value your credit rating... rating... rating...
Crow: I'm afraid you're just not 7-11 timber, Frank... Frank... Frank...
Servo: You're the worst party clown we've ever had... had... had...
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:Servo: It's an adult rocketship. Heh heh heh...
Crow: Oh! The guy who did Interplanetary Sound was named Walter Dick! See? Walter Dick!Mike: So, how is that significant?Crow: Nothing. It's just his name is Walter Dick.Mike: (Chuckling) Well, thanks, Crow...
- Crow takes advantage of an unfortunate name in the credits.
- It also sounds like Crow was trying to make a Ghostbusters reference, but botched it, badly.
- Lampshade Hanging: The nature of these lovely 1960s sci-fi films.Crow: Somehow, the answer to all [the movie's] questions is "big white guys in jumpsuits."Mike: Hey...
- When the aliens say breathing a different atmosphere will cause people to shrink or expand:Crow: "So... people are just balloons?"
- AlsoMike: "Good thing there's so much gravity in space, huh?"
- Also:Crow: "So you can just take a sharp left in space."
- Also:Crow: "Ahh, remember when you could fix your rocket ship with just a crescent wrench?"
- Crow pointing out how he will see a movie, snap, think he's a character from the movie and dress himself up accordingly.Mike: I don't know if you do that any more than the rest of us, really.
- When the aliens say breathing a different atmosphere will cause people to shrink or expand:
- Running Gag: Mockery of the aforementioned "good and the beautiful" line.
- Mocking the Special Effects Failure, often comparing the Phantom Planet to chicken nuggets, or similar products.
- Associating the Solarites with dogs.
- Ship Tease: Pearl and Observer cling to each other when they think they hear a ghost (which turns out to just be Bobo).
- Soundtrack Dissonance:Mike: Does this tepid little scene really deserve a TA-DAH! TA-DAH-dah-DAH-ta-DAH!!!
- Split Personality: After the movie, Crow appears dressed as a Solarite. He's rather baffled by his "sick, amnesic psychotic blackout."Crow: And you know what's weird? I don't even remember doing this, and it's a very good costume!
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Mike finally gets one over on Crow and Servo when he casually bests them at wine glass music.
- Zeerust: Invoked.Ray: March 16, 1980.
Crow: Oh, our old future.
"You know, Captain, every year of my life, I grow more and more convinced that the wisest and best is to fix our attention on the good and the beautiful... if you just take the time to look at it." "You're some guy, Makonnen."