Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 20 The Human Duplicators
Film watched: The Human Duplicators
The episode provides examples of the following tropes:
- Call Back: "S-A-N-T-A-C-L-A-U-S, hooray for Santy Claus!"
- Coming-Out Story:Servo: Joel, we're robots and we want the world to know.
- Transparent Closet:Servo: How did you know?Joel: Tom, it was more than a little obvious.
- Transparent Closet:
- Continuity Nod: Michael J. Nelson reprises his Hugh Beaumont character from the Lost Continent episode, and his job in that episode (member of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse) is mentioned.
- Corpsing: In-universe. Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank cannot make it through the Invention Exchange, due to the absolute absurdity of their invention - the William Conrad Fridge Alert.
- Then William Conrad really does show up.Dr. Forrester: Frank! It's the big one - literally!
- Then William Conrad really does show up.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The final host segment. Servo and Crow come out to Joel as robots, and Joel tells them "it's more than a little obvious."
- Don't Explain the Joke: Parodied. Forrester and Frank's giggling about the William Conrad Fridge Alert Crosses the Line Twice that it comes around to being funny.
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-universe.Crow: Oh I get it! She's blind! That explains the decorating.
Tom Servo: D'oh!
- Hat of Flight: Joel's invention, the Beanie-Chopper, only looks like one of these, to the 'Bots' great disappointment.Crow: (dejectedly) I thought you were gonna go through the roof.
- Hello, Nurse!: The trio who appear a few minutes into Lisa's introduction.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Crow's spaceship is a model of the Satellite of Love - the actual model used for exterior shots. He dismisses it as cheap and plans to put lighter fluid on it and burning it to a crisp - which is what happens to the model a few years later in an episode.
- Laughing At Your Own Jokes: TV's Frank and Dr. Forrester can't help guffawing at the concept of a refrigerator alarm that only sounds when William Conrad is stealing the food. Most of the segment they can't even explain the invention because they can't stop laughing in advance.TV's Frank: Who's going to need this? Maybe Quinn Martin – and he's dead!
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: In the first break Joel and the bots create model spaceships as an art project. The parts used for Joel's golden spaceship (a lacrosse mask, a bowling pin and food trays) looks a tad familiar...
- Me's a Crowd: Servo orders a whole bunch of copies of himself about midway through the film. They end up sticking around for the rest of the series for jokes requiring additional Servos.
- Sdrawkcab Name: Invoked by Crow because the film's title card is mirrored at first.Crow: Eht, Namuh, Srotacilpud! [title flips around to become legible] ...Oh.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 12 Hercules And The Captive Women Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Turkey Day 93 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 05 E 12 Mitchell
Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 19 The Rebel Set Recap/Mystery Science Theater 3000 Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 04 E 21 Monster A Go Go