Film watched: Morozko aka Jack FrostThe last of the four Russo-Finnish films featured on the show. This is notable for being the Trope Namer for The Freelance Shame Squad, coined by Crow to describe a group of villagers in the movie.
- Mike, as Lord of the Dance, performs alongside with Crow and Servo to an audience of Gypsy.
- Bobo and Brain Guy contact the SOL, as Pearl's dropping off the Space Children. The two disagree on who is the leader and the list of tasks Pearl left, which leads Mike brought down as mediator. He tricks Brain Guy into taking his place in today's experiment, but sees through it by Movie Sign.
- Crow brings in Yakov Smirnoff to help them on today's movie, but he's no expert.
- Crow announces to Mike and Servo that he's a bear. Meanwhile, Bobo and Brian Guy bond with each other by complaining about Pearl. Crow keeps being a bear in the theater, but changes back.
- Crow hires a better expert for the film than Yakov Smirnoff, Earl Torgeson, after several associations between him and Rocky IV, but he's no help.
- Servo is "adowable and pwecious", which confuses Mike and Crow. Over beer, Bobo and Brain Guy drunkenly argue about the best ape movie, forcing Mike to come down to the planet to pick. Pearl returns and ends the argument.
The MST3K presentation contains examples of:
- Alan Smithee: Mike posits that every name in the credits is Russian for this.
- All the Good Men Are Gay:Mike: Every time I meet a man he's either gay or a bear.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: In-Universe, Servo dubs Nastenka as, "One of the greatest criminal masterminds of the 20th century," but doesn't really elaborate. He also referred to her having a "conniving face" and being "maliciously cute."
- Bait and Switch: In the last host segment, Pearl arrives and says, "What the hell...?!" You think she's going to berate Bobo and Brain Guy for drinking on the job (not to mention bringing Mike down), but all she's objecting to is their argument that either Any Which Way You Can or Every Which Way But Loose is the best ape movie.
- Becoming the Mask: Crow puts on his bear costume and insists he's a bear. He then eats half of Servo and buries the other half for later. Servo's not pleased.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment / Tastes Like Diabetes: The bear cubs picking up and running off with gigantic mushrooms are never explained, but Mike and the bots quit riffing and just chuckle at the overly cute sight.
- Call Back
- "Am I Kirok?"
- "I thought I was Dale."
- Call Forward: Possibly unintentionally, but Mike chides Crow for taking his bear simulations too far and mentions that it happens with some frequency. Three episodes later, we see it again.
- Cavemen vs. Astronauts Debate / Fandom Rivalry: Bobo argues with Observer with which is the better ape movie: Every Which Way But Loose (Observer's choice) or its sequel Any Which Way You Can (Bobo's preference). Pearl settles matters with Dunston Checks In.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:Crow: (as Ivan is loaded into Baba Yaga's oven) Uh-oh, roasted nuts.
Ivan: Well, I've never been pushed into an oven, and that's the first time I've ever sat on a shovel!Mike: The flat part, anyways.
- And this, from the same scene:
- Happy Ever AfterMike: Yeah, until the Mushroom Guy moved in...
- Incredibly Lame PunBear Ivan: Nastenka! What's the matter?Crow: (as Ivan) Am I un-bear-able?
- Later:Crow: (As a cat sits next to a spider web) How do you like my web site?Mike: (Groans)
- Logical Fallacies: Crow's reasoning for getting a butcher named Earl Torgeson to talk about Russian folklore.
- Lolicon:Ivan: Nastenka, darling, will you marry me?Servo: (as Nastenka) Um, I'm nine.
- Mind Screw: Since they didn't have any knowledge of the original Russian stories blended together to form the plot, this was what Mike and the Bots' considered the film to be. Not that the scripters of the dub seemed to have any greater clue. (Calling Baba Yaga "The Hunchback Fairy"? Really?)
- No Pronunciation GuideCrow: [during the credits] Oh, N-hykhnekh!
- Poor Man's Substitute: Invoked in one of the host segments; Crow wanted to get insight about the film, but the only person available is a sausage wholesaler who doesn't seem to be aware of their presence.
- Right Behind Me: Except Pearl is so evil she isn't even put off by it.
- Russian Reversal: Well, naturally, since Yakov Smirnoff (okay, a Smirnoff look-alike, but whatever) makes an appearance in one of the host segments.
- Shirtless Scene: Mike as the Lord of the Dance.
Crow: Now, back into Harpo's chest!
- One to Duck Soup when the dog comes barking out of its kennel:
Mike: (as Father Mushroom) Hey-oh, day-oh, Tom Bombadil-o!
- When a murder of crows fly from the sled, Mike quips, "Counting US!"
- A bunch of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings jokes.
Mike: (as Father Mushroom keeps popping in and out of invisibility) Frodo gets drunk and screws with the neighbors.
Mike: This Fin's Life!
- After Wicked Stepmother slaps Mafusha.
Crow: It's Mrs. Creosote!
- As Marfushka gobbles down food.
Tom Servo: I didn't know there were that many land mines left in Narnia.
- A quick reference to The Chronicles of Narnia appears when Father Mushroom disappears in a puff of smoke:
- At the start of one scene, a roasted pig is shown on the table. Tom immediately laments: "Babe!! (sobbing)"
- Later when Marfushka is in a sled pulled by pigs:
Ivan!Crow: Dammit Puck, this time you've gone too far!.
- Oklahoma!: "Oh what a beautiful (gibberish Russian), oh what a beautiful (gibberish Russian)..."
- Grateful Dead: "I thought Jerry Garcia was 'Father Mushroom'."
- "Paul Williams!"
- When Ivan is turned into a bear:
- This Is Gonna SuckMike: ...So the first plot point involves knitting socks. I think we're in for quite a ride, guys!
- Viewers Are Geniuses: (When a rooster crows several times) Tom: "Boy, Peter must be going around denying everybody today!"
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: The crew has quite a lot of fun with these jokes when Father Mushroom shows up.
- What the Hell, Hero?: This is Servo's reaction after Nastenka convinces the Rosy Fingered Dawn to go back below the horizon so she can finish knitting her stockings and avoid punishment from her stepmother.Servo: And so the world is thrown into chaos, earthquakes, floods... but that's okay, you knit your sock.
- Wicked Stepmother: Servo joins in on the Lampshade Hanging.Ivan: You must have a very wicked stepmother.Servo: (as Nastenka) Yep, standard issue.
Marfusha: Bring on my fiancé.