Recap: Gravity Falls S 1 E 3 Headhunters
After the kids find Stan's old collection of wax statues, Stan decides to exhibit them again, and Mabel makes a wax figure of him for the event. But when it is found beheaded, she and Dipper set out to find the culprit. Meanwhile, Stan mourns the loss of his wax doppelganger as if had been a real person.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: In the form of affectionate noogie-ing.
- An Axe to Grind: The weapon of choice for the wax statues.
- Ax-Crazy: The wax statues.
- Bad-Guy Bar: Skull Fracture.
- Brick Joke: Early on in the episode, Dipper gets called adorable and is told that he sneezes like a kitten. A melting wax Sherlock Holmes later tells him the same thing.
- Buffy Speak:
- "All the wax guys have [holes in their shoes]. It's where the pole-thingy attaches to their stand-dealies."
- "Hot-y melty things!"
- The Cake Is a Lie: Grunkle Stan attracts visitors to the re-opening of his wax museum by promising them free pizza. He then claims that this was a typo. Cue the angry mob.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Sun, if you think about it. It melted Wax Abraham Lincoln at the start of the episode and Wax Sherlock Holmes near the end.
- Detectives Follow Footprints: This is how Dipper and Mabel locate the axe.
- The End... Or Is It?: Hooray! Mabel get rid of all the Wax Figures... except Larry King's head who managed to escape into the vent.
- During the first Ducktective short, the case was apparently an axcident. This foreshadows the plot: the murder weapon was an axe and it really was an accident; the wax figures were gunning for the real Grunkle Stan.
- The first question that Mabel takes at the event is from Old Man McGucket, who asks if the wax figures are alive. He was Properly Paranoid.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- He Knows Too Much: The wax figures decide to kill the kids because they know about them.
- Hypocritical Humor: Toby Determined tells the twins "I'd be pretty embarrassed if I was you two." Meanwhile, there's a video playing of him making out with cardboard cutout.
- I'm Standing Right Here: In the flashback to Stan getting the cursed wax figures, he openly told the owner he was going to just steal them.Stan: Twenty dollars?! I'll just take 'em when you're not lookin'.
Stan: I said I was gonna rob ya.
- Insistent Terminology: Sherlock insists that he and the wax figures are not "magic" but "cursed", cursed to come to life whenever the moon is waxing!
- The Killer Was Left-Handed: It turns out the axe Dipper and Mabel found is a left-handed one. Manly Dan couldn't have used it because he's right-handed. Wax Holmes seems to be ambidextrous.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: After walking over what appears to be a dead body on the barroom floor, Mabel helpfully announces, "He's resting", possibly for the benefit of any concerned parents or network executives.
- Monster of the Week: Wax Sherlock Holmes.
- Never Say "Die": Averted. Not only does Grunkle Stan actually say that Wax Stan was "murdered", but wax Sherlock Holmes declares that Dipper and Mabel must die.
- No Smoking: Lampshaded by Wax Groucho Marx, who questions why there's nothing in his hand after making a Groucho-style witty comment.
- Police Are Useless: Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durland, who immediately deem the case unsolvable.
- Police Code for Everything: An officer getting ready to fit an entire cantaloupe in his mouth is a 23-16.
- Properly Paranoid: Old Man MacGucket was right to worry about the wax figures.
- Red Herring: Both Manly Dan and Toby Determined had very convincing evidence stacked up against them, but were not, in fact, the killers.
- Rooftop Confrontation: Wax Sherlock chases Dipper on the Roof.
- Sarcastic Clapping: Two people clap half-heartedly during the opening of the Wax Museum. Also invoked by Wax Sherlock Holmes.Wax Sherlock Holmes: Applaud everyone, applaud sarcastically! No, that sounds too sincere, slower... There we go, nice and condescending.
- Signs of Disrepair: Starting from this episode, the Sign says Mystery Hack considering that the second S of the sign gets knocked off.
- Skyward Scream: Grunkle Stan does this while encouraging Dipper and Mabel to investigate the "murder" of Wax Stan.Grunkle Stan: Avenge me, kids! Avenge me!!
- Special Guest: Larry King and Coolio as their wax figures.
- Spit Take: Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Edwin both spat hot coffee at each other.
- Stealth Pun: The statues only come to life when the moon waxes.
- Took a Level in Badass: Dipper and Mabel, and how!
- Would Hurt a Child: The statues have no qualms about killing the twins.