Recap: Gravity Falls S 1 E 2 The Legend Of The Gobblewonker
The second episode of Gravity Falls.Great-Uncle Stan wants to bond with the kids by taking them out fishing. Dipper and Mabel are bored already by the mere prospect of sitting in a boat for hours... and they jump when they hear rumors of a dreadful monster living at the bottom of the lake. Dipper's thirst to investigate and categorize the paranormal (possibly winning fame and lucre along the way) takes hold, and armed with over a dozen cameras, a boat to Scuttlebutt Island, and Soos, he and Mabel set out to track down... the mystical Gobblewonker!Meanwhile, Stan denies his disappointment and tries to have fun by himself. By telling awful jokes, at inappropriate times.
This Gravity Falls episode provides examples of:
- Art Shift: The animation of the boys in Mabel's Imagine Spot is decidedly different from how the show is animated.
- Attention Whore: Old Man McGucket made the monster to get attention.
- Awkward Father-Son Bonding Activity: Grunkle Stan takes Dipper and Mabel fishing. Needless to say the twins are happy to ditch him to go monster hunting with Soos.
- Brick Joke: Early in the episode, Dipper hides a camera under his hat as a backup. Later on, when he's frantically looking for a camera, Mabel simply takes his hat off.
- Continuity Nod: Dipper asks Mabel if they got any pictures of the gnomes they saw in "Tourist Trapped".
- Cool Boat: Averted with Grunkle Stan's dinghy, the Stan O War, but played straight with Soos' boat, the SS Cool Dude. Too bad it got wrecked when the Gobblewonker chased after Dipper, Mabel, and Soos.
- Counterfeit Cash: During their last family bonding day, Stan had the kids to make counterfeit money.
- Crazy-Prepared: Dipper brings 17 disposable cameras for a monster hunt. This is because he's Genre Savvy enough to realize that cameras keep getting destroyed or lost during monster hunts.
- Defensive "What?": Grunkle Stan lets out one of these after one of his jokes falls flat.
- Don't Explain the Joke: Grunkle Stan tells a joke to a couple.Stan: My ex-wife still misses me...but her aim is gettin' better! ... Her aim is gettin' better! ... Y'see, it's funny because marriage is terrible.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Old Man McGucket. He's the one who made the mechanical Gobblewonker and it turns out it's not the first time he's built something like this to get attention from family members and friends.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- "Who wants to put on some blindfolds and get into my car?!"
- Not to mention Old Man McGucket admitting that he'd gone on homicidal rampages before without being caught.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: While Dipper has good reason to be suspicious of Grunkle Stan in general, Stan had no ulterior motive in this episode. He just wanted someone to go fishing with him for once (the guys at the fishing lodge don't like or trust him).
- Moment Killer: Grunkle Stan unwittingly interrupts a man who is about to propose to his girlfriend, and proceeds to tell a joke about how awful marriage is.
- Prehensile Hair: Old Man McGucket can operate a stick-shift with his beard.
- Real After All: At the end of the episode, Dipper's camera falls overboard and we get a shot of the real Gobblewonker.
- Running Gag: This episode's end-of-credits cryptogram read "QHAW ZHHN: UHWXUQ WR EXWW LVODQG." Once decoded, it reads "NEXT WEEK: RETURN TO BUTT ISLAND."
- Secret Handshake: Mabel and Soos have one.
- Scooby-Doo Hoax: The Gobblewonker turns out to be a mechanical monster that Old Man McGucket built to get attention from his son... at least until the ending.
- Sheet of Glass: Parodied when Soos, Dipper and Mabel crash through said glass in the middle of a lake, not unlike the trope's image.
- So Unfunny It's Funny: Stan, Soos and Mabel all have their moments of this. Which of course means that Dipper is the odd one out, being The Comically Serious.
- Stock Ness Monster: The Gravity Falls Gobblewonker.
- Thirteen Is Unlucky: Dipper breaks the 13th camera himself by accident.