The fourth episode of Gravity Falls
An alleged psychic called Li'l Gideon has come to town and Soos, Dipper, and Mabel go to see his show against Grunkle Stan's wishes. The psychic turns out to be a little kid who fails to demonstrate any actual powers in his show, leaving Dipper unimpressed. Li'l Gideon and Mabel start hanging out, and soon Gideon is asking Mabel out for a real date. Mabel is reluctant, wanting to remain friends, but agrees to one date so her new friend won't be sad. She keeps getting pressured into more dates and becomes increasingly distressed by her inability to return to just being friends until Dipper offers to break things off with Gideon for her. Dipper breaks the news to Gideon, who claims not to be upset. Later, Li'l Gideon lures Dipper into a trap and reveals that his lucky bolo tie amulet grants him supernatural powers. He tries to eliminate Dipper, whom he sees as being in the way of him and Mabel being together. Mabel arrives just in time to save her brother, smashing Gideon's power source. Li'l Gideon vows revenge and leaves. As the Pines family mock Gideon, the child looks through a journal like Dipper's, marked 2, for ideas.
This Gravity Falls episode provides examples of:
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Lil' Gideon.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: During Gideon's song, he faces the camera and winks, saying, "And thanks for visiting."
- Captain Obvious: The 'predictions' Gideon makes during his show;
Gideon: You wish your son would call you more
Old lady with a cat: I'm leaving everything to my cats!
Gideon: I sense that you've been here before
Sheriff Blubs, covered in Gideon merch: What gave it away?
Gideon: I'll read your mind if I'm able / Somethin' tells me your name's Mabel
Mabel, wearing a sweater with MABEL stitched on: How did he do that?
- Chair Reveal
- Continuity Nod: Dipper apologizes to Toby Determined for accusing him of murder in "Headhunters".
- Mabel is seen wearing the llama sweater that Wax Larry King suggested she wear in the previous episode.
- The S on the Mystery Shack is still detached from the previous episode.
- Creepy Doll: Gideon has a whole toy line of them.
- Dartboard of Hate: A photograph of Stan riddled with darts hangs in L'il Gideon's house.
- Disproportionate Retribution: When Dipper breaks up with Gideon in Mabel's stead, Gideon's response was to try to kill Dipper.
- Distressed Dude: Dipper.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Gideon tries to cut out Dipper's tongue for keeping Mabel away from him.
- Noodle Incident: Stan apparently wound up in a Colombian jail at some point.
- No Plans, No Prototype, No Backup: Subverted. While twins and Stan are mocking Gideon for being harmless after he losing his amulet, Gideon is revealed to have instructions for rebuilding it. It's not yet clear if he will use them or settle for something else.
- Not-So-Phony Psychic: Li'l Gideon uses obvious tricks in his shows, but actually does have telekinetic powers thanks to his magic amulet, and more occult knowledge from the second journal.
- Old-Fashioned Rowboat Date: Gideon takes Mabel on one.
- One Scene, Two Monologues: The conversation between Wendy and Mabel.
- Puppy Love: Li'l Gideon's crush on Mabel.
- Psychic Powers: Gideon
- Right-Hand Cat: Parodied during Gideon's Chair Reveal, as He's holding a stuffed doll of himself.
- Security Blanket/Happy Place: When Mabel buries her face into her sweater and escapes into "Sweatertown."
- Shipper on Deck: Everybody save Dipper wants Mabel and Gideon together.
- Shout-Out: The inside of "The Club" looks identical to the Black Lodge on Twin Peaks, another show dealing with unusual and supernatural occurrences in a small town in the Pacific Northwest. The naming would also imply a nod to "One-Eyed Jacks" a club/casino/brothel on that show.
- Shoot the Messenger: When Dipper tells Gideon that Mabel no longer wishes to "date" him, he assumes that Dipper is the one who is keeping them apart and attempts to kill him.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Apparently, Gideon is Stan's "mortal enemy."
- The Exit Is That Way: Soos expects this when Stan storms out of the room. He's disappointed when it turns out Stan did not walk into a closet.
Soos: Nope. Real door.
- Wham Shot: Gideon has the second volume of the journal that Dipper found.
- Yandere: Gideon.