Recap: Gravity Falls S 1 E 19 Dreamscaperers
Dipper: Get ready, guys. We're about to journey into the most horrifying, disturbing place any of us have ever been... our uncle's mind.One night, Stan catches Lil' Gideon trying to crack his safe where the Mystery Shack's deed is kept. Stan chases Gideon out, confident that the combination to the safe is secure in his head. Gideon decides to call upon his journal 2's greatest secret...a cycloptic 'triangle guy' called Bill Cipher. Gideon summons Bill, and orders him to find the safe combo in Stan's mind. Upon hearing the name Stan Pines, Bill agrees, stating that in return Gideon can help Bill out with his own plans. With the deal made, Bill goes off to invade Stan's mind. All this was witnessed by Mabel and Soos, who heard Gideon's summoning spell. The two report this to Dipper, who reads in his own journal 3 that Bill is the most dangerous creature in Gravity Falls. However, there is a spell that can be used to enter the mind Bill invades to prevent his chaos. With Stan showing signs of nightmares, the trio go in.They find themselves in a spooky area similar to the Mystery Shack. Bill appears, and as a display of power zaps a (Non-fatal) hole in Dipper and summons Xyler and Kraz, two fictional characters from the movie Dreamy Boy High. Bill explains that the Shack of Stan's mind has doors leading to different memories; one of which has the memory of Stan entering his safe's code. Bill flies off, and the gang goes to searching. Dipper gets separated from the others and finds a door leading to Stan's 'Dipper memories'. Interested on what his uncle truly thinks of him, and why he always gives Dipper the hard chores, the boy enters. there, he finds a memory of Stan and Soos talking over the old man's treatment of his nephew. Stan says, "The kid's a loser. He's weak. He's an utter embarrassment. I just want to get rid of him." Heartbroken, Dipper leaves.Meanwhile, Mabel finds the memory of Stan's combination, and Soos offers to destroy it...levitating the door into the air! It's actually Bill, who took Soos' form while the real Soos was distracted. With the memory in hand, Bill races off. Mabel, Soos, and the dream boys give chase and bump into Dipper. But by this time Dipper is no longer interested in helping his great-uncle, and just wants to leave. Bill contacts Gideon, but before he can relay the combo, Mabel knocks the memory into another memory, this one of the Bottomless Pit. At this failure Gideon breaks off the deal, and an enraged Bill attacks Mabel and Soos, transporting them to a floating arena in space and tormenting them with nightmares.Dipper runs into the memory of Soos and Stan talking, and hears Stan add to his earlier comment, "...Those are things said about me when I was a boy." Stan used to be a wimp as a child, until his father made him take boxing lessons. This is why Stan is so hard on Dipper; he's trying to toughen his nephew up so that he can fight back against the world, and he's actually quite proud of him. At this point Dipper is pulled into the memory. Stan undoes the hole Bill made, and reveals that anything is possible in the mind. With this knowledge in hand, Dipper races off to help his sister and Soos fight Bill. The three do a great job, but before they can finish Bill off, the demon puts a halt to the battle. Impressed by the three, Bill decides that they will be useful in the future and leaves them with this warning; "A darkness approaches. A day will come in the future where everything you care about will change."The gang wakes up. And while Stan wonders why he dreamed of two impossibly handsome men, the twins and Soos celebrate.Then the wall explodes. After Bill's failure, Gideon reveals he used dynamite on the safe and now has the deed. Ordering the Pines family out, he has his father take a wrecking ball to the Shack.
This Gravity Falls episode provides examples of:
- Art Shift: Mabel's two dream boys.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Gideon gets his hands on the deed to the shack, and the episode closes with the Gleefuls destroying the Mystery Shack.
- Brick Joke: The Colombian prison memory. See Continuity Cavalcade...
- Care Bear Stare: Directly parodies Care Bears when Soos shoots a question mark shaped beam from his stomach at Bill:Soos: Soos love stomach beam staaare!!!
- Chekhov's Gun: The NYARF toy gun.
- The bottomless pit.
- Cliffhanger: The episode ends with Gideon destroying the Mystery Shack.
- Cue the Flying Pigs:Stan: Please, the only way Gideon's taking over the shack is by breaking in and stealing my deed.
Wendy: You mean like, right now?
- Continuity Cavalcade/Continuity Porn: Where does one begin?
- Cutting the Knot: Gideon after seeing Bill's failure, goes to Plan B: "dynamite".
- Darker and Edgier: Definitely the darkest episode in the series up to this point.
- Deal with the Devil: Gideon wanted Bill to go into Stan's mind and get him the combination to Stan's safe. Bill agreed, in return for Gideon's promise to help him with a currently unknown thing.
- Downer Ending: Gideon WON, and it ends with his dad destroying the Mystery Shack. Then, as if the audience couldn't recover already, The Stinger involves a lingering shot of a waterfall with the words "TO BE CONTINUED..." at the bottom of it, with an eerie remix of the show's theme song playing in the background.
- Dream Walker: Bill is this.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Gideon is horrified at Bill ripping a deer's teeth out.
- Evil Is Hammy: Bill is extremely cartoony and more or less insane.
- Impact Silhouette: Bill leaves one as he crashes into the shack.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: "Non-specific excuse!"
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: Dipper, Mabel, and Soos journey into Grunkle Stan's mind in order to confront Bill Cipher.
- The Mad Hatter: BillGideon: You're Insane!Bill: Sure I am. What's your point?
- Misery Builds Character: Why Stan is so tough on Dipper.
- It's also why Stan's father had him take boxing lessons.
- Reality Warper: You can do anything you can imagine while inside a dream.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Bill turns bright red when he gets angry.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Dipper, Mabel and Soos's efforts to stop Bill become moot when Gideon breaks the deal with the latter and uses dynamite to obtain the deed to the Shack.
- Shout-Out: The tag that plays over the end credits is an homage to the Twin Peaks intro.
- Sidetracked by the Analogy:Mabel: Remember, bats are more afraid of you than you are of them...Maybe I'm thinking of ducklings...Ducklings. Quack quack! Quack quack quack!
Soos: Dipper, Stan's personality is one of life's great mysteries. Like whether or not it's possible to lick your own elbow.
Mabel: I bet you can't!
Soos: I bet I can!
- Take That: "Inceptus Nolanus Overratus!"
- Torso with a View: Bill shoots a hole through Dipper's body. He later returns the favor.
- The Unreveal:
- Soos finds a memory in which Stan enters the secret passage behind the snack machine, but closes the door before he can reveal what’s behind it.
- Whatever Bill wanted Gideon to do for him since the latter canceled the deal.
- Vagueness Is ComingBill: A darkness approaches. (conjures an image of the six-fingered hand from the journals above him) A day will come in the future where everything you care about will change.
- Visual Pun: When Bill answer's Gideon's message with a greeting of "Y'ello?", he turns yellow.
- Wham Episode: Oh boy, was it ever! See Cliffhanger...
- What the Hell, Hero?: Soos giver one to Dipper, in his typical "Soos" fashion."Dipper, you're a cool dude, but this isn't cool, dude."
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Gideon performs this after seeing Mabel and Soos in Stan's mind and after Mabel causes Bill to lose the code to the safe; he goes for Cutting the Knot and dynamites Stan's safe.