Recap: Gravity Falls S 1 E 6 Dipper Vs Manliness
The sixth episode of Gravity Falls
After being made fun of for his wimpiness, Dipper finds a hidden tribe of "manotaurs" in the forest, and asks them to teach him to be manly. Meanwhile, Mabel tries to teach Grunkle Stan how to be attractive to women, particularly the waitress in the local diner, Lazy Susan.
This Gravity Falls episode provides examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: In The Stinger, Stan is ignoring Susan's calls. She leaves him 36 messages.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Multibear for liking bubblegum pop.
- An Aesop: Being a man isn't about being macho, but standing up for yourself.
- Bad with the Bone: The spear given to Dipper consists of the blade and 2 bones tied with rope.
- Bears Are Bad News: Subverted; it turns out the Multi-Bear isn't really a bad guy.
- Carpet of Virility: Throughout the episode, Dipper's complete lack of chest hair is taken as a sign of unmanliness. He finally manages to grow one at the end, but then Mabel pulls it out to put in a scrapbook. Stan also has a huge amount of chest hair which instantly regrows the second Mabel tries to shave it, and he show off to Dipper to let him know body hair is something everyone gets eventually.
- Continuity Nod: Mabel has a picture of a beheaded Wax Stan in her scrapbook.
- Crazy Cat Lady: Lazy Susan has at least three.
- Cry Cute: Much at the cost of his masculinity, Dipper◊.
Woman: *bumped into by Dipper* Oh, I'm sorry. I was looking for the mailman.
Dipper: Oh, what? Are you saying I'm not a male man? Is that what you're trying to say? I'm not male, I'm- I'm not a man? Is that- is that what you're getting at?
Woman: Are you crying?
- The Dreaded: The Multibear amongst the Manotaurs, because he likes bubblegum pop.
- Elderly Blue-Haired Lady: Lazy Susan.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- One of the Manotaurs is named Pubeator.
- "Alright Dipper. Time to manhandle this Man-handle!"
- When taking Grunkle Stan to ask out Lazy Susan, Mabel suggests that he leave his pants at home. And he's the one who doesn't get it.
- Guilty Pleasures: Dipper loves bubblegum pop, like ABBA ("Disco Girl"), but doesn't admit it to the Manotaurs until the end of the episode.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Dipper doesn't realize the Manotaurs are bad after their leader eats an elderly member of the tribe.
- Impact Silhouette: Chutzpar leaves one when he and Dipper pass through the Man Cave.
- I Want to Be a Real Man: The point of the episode for Dipper.
- Jerk Jocks: The Manotaurs again.
- A Load of Bull: The Manotaurs.
- Loincloth: Dipper dons one during the latter half of his manliness training.
- The Makeover: Mabel tries to teach Grunkle Stan how to be a gentleman so he can court Lazy Susan.
- Misplaced Wildlife: The Training Montage has Dipper dealing with alligators. In Oregon.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: The Multibear. He's not The Dreaded amongst the Manotaurs because he's evil (which he's not), but because he likes bubblegum pop music. Because of this, Dipper refuses to kill him.
- Nobody Calls Me Chicken: The Manotaurs initially decide against training Dipper. He calls them chickens for supposedly being scared of the challenge. They realize this is a trick, but change their minds anyway.
"I feel all weird." "He's using some sort of brain magic"
- Our Monsters Are Weird: The Multi-Bear. A bear that looks like it consists entirely of bear heads.
- Our Slogan Is Terrible: "Greasy's Diner: We Have Food"
- The Power of Love: Stan guesses this is what Mabel thinks will get him a date with Susan. Mabel denies this, saying it's she's actually talking about "The Power Of Mabel".
- Punny Name: Lazy Susan.
- Real Men Eat Meat: To the point where a bag of jerky tells Dipper he's inadequate.
- Scream Discretion Shot: After Dipper puts his fist into the "Pain Hole".
- Shirtless Scene: Dipper has this during his final test.
- Suspiciously Apropos Music: Parodied with the Training Montage, which is kicked off by Mabel saying, "This is going to take some really great training music," and putting on a CD labeled "Training Mix." The lyrics end up getting...oddly specific.
When the tiger roars and the mountain cries
You gotta dream the dream, you gotta win the prize
You gotta go the miles, you gotta face the trials
Never lose sight of the sights you see You gotta believe your beliefs are real
Now you're drinking from a fire hydrant
Teach your uncle how to wear a cummerbund
Now you're gonna jump a crazy gorge
Keep on shavin' that hairy uncle
Uh...I don't really know what's happenin' in this part
Your heart's on fire and the fire is in your HEEEAAAAARRRT!!''
- Testosterone Poisoning: The Manotaurs, and Dipper wants to invoke it on himself.
- Training Montage: Of Mabel trying make Stan classier and Dipper doing the manotaur's trials.
- Took a Level in Badass: You could definitely say this for Dipper.
- The Unsmile: While learning how to be a gentleman from Mabel, Grunkle Stan pulls off one that manages to send Soos running in terror.