Playing With: Straw Feminist
: A character identified as a feminist expresses extremist, misandrist ideology.
- Straight: Alice often discusses men as being inherently inferior to women.
- Downplayed: Alice only brings up her anti-men views when it's appropriate to the conversation, and can interact with non-Straw Misogynist men normally.
- Alice is a troll who opposes feminism and purposely tries to annoy men and true feminists with her strawman performances.
- Alternatively, Alice had an upbringing in which she was treated horribly by her Straw Misogynist family (even her mother was a Female Misogynist), which made her opinion of men in general very negative.
- Alice grew up in a No Woman's Land where Straw Misogyny was rampant and just as extreme. She felt that to fight the oppressive, extremist world she lived in, she had to subscribe to oppressive, extremist values.
- Alice has been conditioned (either by upbringing or later radicalization) by other Straw Feminists to believe that all men oppress women For the Evulz and/or are literally subhuman and only necessary for reproduction purposes.
- Alice has a mental disorder that results in Black and White Insanity, with women being white and men being black.
- Bob assumes that Alice is going to be like this upon hearing that she's a feminist, only to learn that she's a moderate.
- Alice expresses some pretty hateful views of men... And then goes on to attack her fellow women with equal vitriol, and turns out to just be misanthropic in general.
- Then Carol and Dave show up and presented as moderate reasonable feminists in contrast to Alice's extremism and irrationality.
- Double Subverted:
- Alice only pretends to be a moderate for her own reasons; her views are actually more extreme than she lets on.
- But she still thinks men are worse.
- That's just a facade they put on to get people on their side. They're really a man-hating prudish lesbian couple.
- Carol and Dave are presented as reasonable and moderate at first. But when asked about men's rights issues such as Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male, Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male, custody battles, etc.; they are presented as ignorant and not realizing that equality goes both ways.
- Zig Zagged: Bob assumes that Alice is going to be like this upon hearing that she's a feminist complete with Imagine Spot, only to learn that she's a moderate. Then they come to one issue in particular that sets her off and her friend Carol tells her to Stop Being Stereotypical, which she does.
- Alice is presented as a reasonable, intelligent and moderate woman.
- Alice is never identified as a feminist.
- Alice is used to explore the more extremist and nonsensical ideologies of feminism, but it's made clear that she is not meant to represent feminism as a whole or even the majority of feminists.
- Enforced: "Feminists are crazy! How can I lampoon them to best effect?"
- Lampshaded: "You'll have to excuse Alice — she's one of those crazy feminists..."
- Invoked: "You can't be a feminist without wanting to completely crush all men, honey!"
- Exploited: Patriarch Evulz covertly funds Alice's misandric crusade in order to discredit real feminists.
- Defied: "Being a feminist doesn't mean you have to subscribe to extremism; men and women are equal, after all..."
- Discussed: "Surely all feminists can't be as bad as Alice..."
- Conversed: "What a ridiculous stereotype!"
- Alice's vicious and extreme opinions alienate her and ensure she remains friendless and unloved.
- Alice's views result in most people assuming that all feminists are insane man-haters.
- Alice finds The Mentor in Carol who helps her chuck the straw.
- Alice works with genuine moderate feminists as a foil to show what is a stereotype and what is the real deal.
- Played For Laughs: Alice complains about women being oppressed and treated like slaves while ordering Bob to Stay in the Kitchen.
- Played For Drama: Alice gets a What the Hell, Hero? speech by other feminists for being making the rest look bad.
Back to Straw Feminist
but ONLY WOMEN check your privilege
, you disgusting pig!