Only Echoes Remain is an Urban Fantasy novella by A.J. Kalliver.Set 20 Minutes into the Future (but in a world which is still reeling from the sudden appearance of magic and magical creatures), the story is told from the point of view of Isa; a somewhat fierce girl living on the streets of Chicago. Being a homeless person is a challenge for Isa, but she has other issues too. For example, there's the thing where she's not actually human....
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Isa fits this to a tee.
- Dark Action Girl
- Dark is Not Evil: Isa's true form is a dark and monstrous thing, but she is actually a kind and generous person who tries her best to be good... or at least civil.
- Good Is Not Nice: This is what our heroine aspires to be. When she manages it, those who cross her live to regret it. When she doesn't... they don't.
- I Know Your True Name: A sorcerer who learns of Isa's existence attempts to control her via her true name. While it is possible for a skilled practitioner of magic to determine the name, the trick is to keep the spirit contained for the requisite period of time.
- Perky Goth: In her lighter moments Isa lands here, though she does occasionally spend time in a slightly darker place.
- Rapunzel Hair: Isa certainly qualifies, with her gorgeous mane of inky hair that falls past her knees. It's also worth noting that she sometimes wishes she could cut it to a less conspicuous length, but cannot do so without causing herself intense pain—and the hair would quickly regenerate itself anyway.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: Isa does whine a bit about how being stunningly beautiful makes her day-to-day life more difficult, although in her defense we see that this is indeed sometimes true.