Wesley Willis wrote some awesome fucking songs!
The music was very formulaic!
He used a Technics KN series keyboard's auto-harmony for the accompaniment!
He called his concerts "harmony joy rides"!Wesley Willis!
Wesley Willis!He suffered from paranoid schizophrenia!
He heard voices from demons named "Heartbreaker", "Nervewrecker", and "Meansucker"!
He had psychotic episodes on the Chicago CTA bus lines!
He called his psychotic episodes "war hell rides"!Wesley Willis!
Wesley Willis![long instrumental passage with Stock Sound Effects]He released more than fifty albums of music!
He liked to greet his fans by head butting them!
He died at the age of 40 of complications from leukemia!
His music will be remembered for all time!Wesley Willis!
Wesley Willis!Rock over London!
Rock on, Chicago!
TV Tropes! It will ruin your life!
This musician features examples of:
- '80s Hair: Wesley was not a fan of this, if his song "Cut the Mullet" is any indication.
- Affectionate Parody: By a Christian ska band, of all things. The W's had a Hidden Track on their first album that was a tribute to Five Iron Frenzy, done In the Style of... Wesley Willis. Presumably very few people got the joke.
- Anal Cunt did one of these to close the Howard Is Bald EP.
- Aluminum Christmas Trees:
- One of his better-known songs is "Rock N' Roll McDonald's" - people outside of Chicago may be surprised that such a place actually exists.
- In "Vampire Bat," Wesley Willis talks about how he was assaulted by vampire birds. There are actual vampire birds in the real world, known as vampire finches, but good luck finding one outside of the Galápagos Islands.
- Animals Hate Him: In his songs, at least, Wesley has been harassed or attacked by horses, vultures, termites, dogs, vampire bats and more.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: He wrote many songs about bestiality. Apparently, he believed he was being tormented by demons, and that writing these songs would gross them out enough to leave him alone.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: The demons that torment Wesley.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Catch Phrase: "Rock over London! Rock on, Chicago!"
- He was also fond of various permutations of "Rock Saddam Hussein's ass to Russia!"
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Was diagnosed as schizophrenic.
- He had an astounding gift for hyperbole, too. Check out his song for Alanis Morissette:"You are a rocking maniac! You are a singing hyena! You are a rock star in Jesus' name! You really rock Saddam Hussein's ass!"
- He had an astounding gift for hyperbole, too. Check out his song for Alanis Morissette:
- Cluster F-Bomb: "Fuck You". The chorus is simply "Fuck you" repeated five times.
- Concept Album: Sort of - Rock N' Roll Will Never Die consists entirely of songs about other musicians (such as Nirvana, The Rolling Stones, Alanis Morissette, and Jello Biafra), ending with a song about his own band, The Wesley Willis Fiasco.
- Couch Gag: Many (all?) of his songs end with the phrase "Rock over London, rock on Chicago..." after which he would then spout a line from a random commercial jingle or product slogan.
- Cover Version: Duran Duran's "Girls on Film." For obvious reasons.
- Cursed with Awesome: His schizophrenia caused huge problems in his life and made it difficult for him to go out to art stores and ride the bus as he loved to do, but everyone can agree his circumstances made him a unique musician.
- Darker and Edgier: His songs fronting The Wesley Willis Fiasco, a live rock/metal band. Though similar lyrically to his self-produced synthesizer songs, they sound *much* heavier.
- Documentary: The Daddy Of Rock N' Roll. Filmed in 2000, it was finally released in 2003, mere months before his passing.
- Department of Redundancy Department: In "Rock 'n Roll McDonald's'" he describes the titular establishment as "A restaurant where people buy food to eat".
- Even Evil Has Standards: Wesley's demons are apparently disgusted by bestiality, hence is why he wrote songs about it.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Songs like "Al Capone" and "They Threw Me Out of Church."
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Sometimes combined with Cluster F-Bomb, as he was prone to saying things like "Suck a pygmy marmoset's dick, you dad-blasted motherfucker!"
- Heroic Safe Mode: He deals with his demons' torments by telling them to suck animal genitalia.
- Little Known Facts: He could occasionally toss one out in a song, like when he claimed that Al Capone (who died in 1947) killed Wesley's brother.
- Lyrical Dissonance: He wrote songs like "Kill That Jerk" and "Fuck With Me And Find Out", using the often upbeat pre-programmed tracks on his synthesizer as back-up music.
- He also has a song called "Kill Whitey," which most people assume is racist before it becomes perfectly clear that it's just about one specific guy named Whitey who Wesley really hates.
- Madness Mantra: See Once an Episode. Also, the choruses in his songs consisted of the same phrase repeated over and over again.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Solo stuff is a 3. Stuff he did with the Wesley Willis Fiasco can be as hard as a 7.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Heartbreaker, Meansucker, and Nervewrecker.
- Once an Episode: Almost every one of his songs ended with the mantra, "Rock over London! Rock on Chicago!" followed by some kind of commercial slogan.
- Outsider Music: Identified by Irwin Chusid as a prime example.
- Product Placement: After reciting his Catch Phrase, he will sometimes mention a brand name along with its slogan. For example:"Pontiac: We build excitement!"
"Suck a golden lion tamarind's dick with Price Chopper imitation vanilla extract!"
- He'd occasionally include specific products in rather unflattering places, such as:
- Shout-Out: The Volume 1 DVD for Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law has his song "Birdman Kicked My Ass" playing over the title menu.
- Jick, creator of Kingdom of Loathing, was a huge fan of his, and the game is liberally studded with references to Willis - Heartbreaker, Meansucker, and Nervewrecker themselves even show up in Hey Deze.
- From "Fuck You:" "Take This Job and Shove It! I'm not working for you anymore!"
- From "Gingerbread Knocked Me Out:" "When I dialed 911 for help, it was a joke. I'm sorry that I couldn't get help at all."
- In the New 52 Wonder Woman comic, the character Milan is an Expy of Wesley, with his manners, speech pattern and even appareance been very close to the real person.
- From "Feel The Power Of Rock N Roll": "Rock the casbah like a hurricane".
- A couple of songs by The Wesley Willis Fiasco included musical quotations from other rock bands: "Casper the Homosexual Friendly Ghost" incorporates the signature riff to "Jamie's Cryin'", while "The Bar Is Closed" does much the same with "YYZ".
- Rock Over London was a syndicated radio show hosted by British DJ Graham Dene that aired on US radio in The '80s and The '90s.
- Smug Super: Pretty much every superhero Wesley ends up fighting. Spider-Man was kissing Wesley's girlfriend. Mighty Thor mugged his girlfriend with a baseball bat. Superman was "being such a roughneck."
- Subverted in "Birdman Kicked My Ass" - Birdman attacks Wesley for trespassing on his yard, and then comes after him again for throwing a brick through his window. For once it's not the superhero who's being the dick.
- Take That: "I Whupped Batman's Ass" and "I Whupped Superman's Ass." Oddly enough, Birdman is the only one who can kick Wesley's ass.
- Take That, Critics!: "Make Sure I'm Out Screwing Up"
- Take This Job and Shove It: From the song "Fuck You".Take this job and shove it!
I'm not working for you anymore! Stick it up your ass!
- Three Chords and the Truth
- Title Only Chorus: Of course.
- Unreliable Narrator: Goes without saying.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Most often to be found in his Cluster F-Bomb songs."The triangle car went off the road. It fell in the water. I was running the show."
- Word Salad Title: Most of his albums that aren't just named after one of the songs.
- Wound That Will Not Heal: That bruise on his forehead technically healed, but he kept on headbutting his fans, which kept it coming back. It's hard to find a photo of him without the bruise.
- Vulgar Humor: Some of his songs had titles like, "Suck My Dog's Dick", and "Lick A Bulldog's Nasty Asshole". He apparently directed these songs at Heartbreaker, Meansucker, and Nervewrecker in order to cope with his Schizophrenia.