Don't they make you want to die...The Pretty Reckless
(2009-present) is a alternative rock band created by Taylor Momsen
, formerly of Gossip Girl
.Their hit songs include "Make Me Wanna Die", "Miss Nothing" and "Just Tonight".
Taylor Momsen spent two years seeking an appropriate producer, and finally picked Kato Khandwala because he was not your typical pop producer. Khandwala introduced Momsen to Ben Phillips, and the three of them began to write songs together. The band had a couple of line up changes before settling on a final band, when they toured with The Veronicas
in 2009 for their Revenge Is Sweeter tour.
When they started releasing music, Taylor said that most of their music would be dark but they would also have light moments too. In an interview with MTV, Momsen reported the influences on the band to include The Beatles
and Oasis, along with grunge band Nirvana
. Taylor then said that her personal influences were Kurt Cobain and Joan Jett.
Eventually they released a promotional single "Make Me Wanna Die" which was featured on the movie soundtrack for Kick-Ass
. Their album, Light Me Up
came out in August of 2010 (February of 2011 in the US). They have been touring ever since with the Light Me Up and The Medicine tours. Later, they opened up for Evanescence
during their self titled tour, released their Hit Like A Man
EP, and toured with Marilyn Manson
in 2012. In 2013, they toured in support of the future 2014 release of their album Going to Hell
and opened for Fall Out Boy
in Europe at the start of 2014.
- The Pretty Reckless (EP) (2010)
- Light Me Up (Album) (2010)
- Hit Me Like A Man (EP) (2012)
- Going To Hell (Album) (2014)
- Light Me Up Tour(2010-2012)
- The Medicine Tour (2012)
Current Band Members:
- Taylor Momsen – vocals, rhythm guitar (2009–present)
- Ben Phillips – lead guitar, backing vocals (2010–present)
- Mark Damon – bass (2010–present)
- Jamie Perkins – drums, percussion (2010–present)
- Abusive Parents: "Under The Water".
- Author Appeal: Religion and drugs, basically.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Ends "Light Me Up" the album on a classical violin sample/solo, after an acoustic intimate love song.
- Anti-Love Song: "Panic."
Baby, spare yourself (But I'm in love with you)
No, I won't take your help (But I will see it through)
I am too far gone for you to bring me back so baby, spare yourself.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Superhero", "Just Tonight", "Blender", "Sleeze Sister".
- Break Up Song: "Just Tonight", "Since You're Gone", "Nothing Left To Lose", "Far From Never", "Cold Blooded Man", "Void and Null", "Panic".
- Be Yourself: "Light Me Up"
I've got it on my mind to change my ways
I don't think I can be anything other then me
- Bi the Way: Slipped into "My Medicine", "Hit Me Like A Man" and "Since You're Gone".
- The Casanova: Both female and male variants in "Cold Blooded Man" and the female version in "S. U. S."
- Careful With That Axe: "Panic" and "Hit Me Like A Man"
- Cover Version: "Wonderwall" and "Love the way you lie chorus" and "Criminal" by Fiona Apple.
- Christianity is Catholic: "Goin' Down" and "Going To Hell" involve being in confession with a priest.
- Daddy Issues: Present in the non-album tracks.
- Driven to Suicide: "Makes Me Wanna Die", "Under The Water", "Panic", "Nothing Left To Lose", "Kill Me".
- Genre Throwback: The music tends to harken back to 90s Alternative Rock (with a little Blues for good measure), and you could almost picture their music sitting comfortably alongside Garbage and The Cranberries.
- Green-Eyed Monster: The reason for "He Loves You."
- Growing Up Sucks: "Under The Water".
- Intercourse with You: "Goin' Down", "Everybody Wants Something From Me", "Hit Me Like A Man", "Follow Me Down"note
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Around a hard 5-standard 6.
- Murder Ballad: "Going Down."
- Love Nostalgia Song: "Nothing Left To Lose."
- Love Will Lead You Back: Mocked in "Since You're Gone", played straight in, "Nothing Left To Lose".
- Love Is A Drug: Subverted with "Panic", Played straight in "Hit Me Like A Man" and "Miss Nothing".
- Long Title: "Why'd you bring a shotgun to the party?"
- Mood Whiplash: Take "Light Me Up" a positive friendship song with inspiring under tones and then follow it with "Just Tonight" a song about a relationship with a drug addict who just doesn't care about anything.
- Sequel Song: Going To Hell refers to the "father" in Goin' Down.
- Rockstar Song: "Factory Girl", "Everybody Wants Something From Me", "Zombie", "A.D.D."
- Perky Goth: Taylor is this.
- Record Producer: Kato Khandwala on their debut.
- Refrain from Assuming: "A.D.D." is not "I'm Young and Easily Bored" though stated all over YouTube to be so.
- "Blender" is the real title of "I Really Fucking Love You."
- and the real title of "Fuck Conformity" is "Sleeze Sister."
- Precision F-Strike: "Void and Null" and "Blender".
- Obsession Song: "Makes Me Wanna Die", "Miss Nothing", "Only You", "You", "Far From Never" extremely passive. and "Everybody Wants Something From Me", "Blender", rather aggressive!
- Ode to Intoxication: "My Medicine."
- The Ophelia: "Under The Water".
- Sanity Slippage Song: "Make Me Wanna Die", "Just Tonight", "Panic" among others...
- Soprano and Gravel: Taylor does both of these vocals, and more, an example of this would be "Panic".
- Shock Rock: Taylor Momsen has grown up in show business, and it's obvious - any chance she gets to provoke/titillate her audience, she will take it.
- Shout-Out: "Just Tonight" video has a shout to Alice in Wonderland, Painting Roses Red!
- Stalker with a Crush: A big part of the concept Of "Make Me Wanna Die" and "Only You".
- Studio Chatter: "My Medicine" is mostly this.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss / Belligerent Sexual Tension: "Blender."
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "You."
- Subdued Section: "Hit Me Like A Man."
- Tsundere: "Blender", equal parts angry and sweet.
- Word Salad Lyrics: "Hit Me Like A Man."
- Woman Scorned: "Since You're Gone," "Void and Null", "Goin' Down"
- Your Cheating Heart: "Goin' Down".
- Yandere: "Goin' Down" again.
- Vocal Evolution: Taylor used to have a characterized roughness in her voice, but now she does full voiced singing.