is a Progressive Rock
band formed in 1982 by King Crimson
member John Wetton, Emerson, Lake & Palmer
member Carl Palmer, Yes
member Steve Howe, and The Buggles
member Geoff Downes — the last of whom was responsible of keeping the band name afloat during the various lineup changes, including the switch between John Wetton and John Payne as lead vocalists. At present, both lineups continue to tour under the same band name, with John Payne's own lineup (with a new keyboardist) referring to themselves as "Asia featuring John Payne".
John Wetton lineup
- Asia — 1982, noted for "Heat Of The Moment", "Only Time Will Tell", "Sole Survivor", "Wildest Dreams", and "Here Comes The Feeling"
- Alpha — 1983, noted for "Don't Cry" and "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes"
- Astra — 1985
- Then & Now — 1990 (half compilation album, half studio album)
- Phoenix — 2008
- Omega — 2010
- XXX — 2012
- Gravitas — 2014
John Payne lineup
- Aqua — 1992
- Aria — 1994
- Arena — 1996
- Archiva Vol. 1 — 1996
- Archiva Vol. 2 — 1996
- Rare — 1999
- Aura — 2001
- Silent Nation — 2004
Tropes associated with this band include:
- Alphabetical Theme Naming — Several of their album titles begin and end with the letter A — Asia, Alpha, Astra, Aqua, Aria, Arena, Archiva (Vol. 1 and 2), and Aura, plus their live album America and the compilation album Anthologia.
- Breakup Song — "Only Time Will Tell"
- Cover Version — 10cc's "Ready To Go Home" from Aura.
- Design Student's Orgasm — Their album covers designed by Roger Dean.
- Futuristic Pyramid — Incorporated into the background of the Astra album cover, and appearing in the video for the song "Go".
- Lead Bassist: John Wetton and John Payne in their separate lineups.
- Non-Indicative Name — Asia is a rock band that started in Britain. However, one of their former band members, Aziz Ibrahim, is of Pakistani ancestry.
- Not Christian Rock — Aura.
- One-Word Title — "Go" from Astra.
- Revolving Door Band — They even had musicians join and leave without ever recording.
- Sole Survivor — One of the songs from Asia.