This is one of the easiest ways to name a work of fiction. Instead of naming a series after a central location, the name comes from the vehicle that is the focal point of the series. Extra points to those works where the vehicle doubles as the primary setting (i.e. a good deal of the character interaction occurs onboard), the MacGuffin, or some combination of the two, all of which seem to be more likely if the vehicle is a Cool Ship (no, not that kind of ship) be it spacefaring, nautical, time-traveling, or an airship. As the title suggests, other vehicles, mecha, helicopters, tanks etc. also qualify for this trope.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Black Lagoon named after the propagonists Torpedo Boat.
- Combattler V
- Cowboy Bebop named after the Bebop, an old interplanetary fishing trawler.
- Dairugger XV
- Fafner in the Azure: Dead Aggressor
- Linebarrels of Iron
- Macross, which refers to the franchise's main class of Battlestar:
- Martian Successor Nadesico.
- Mazinger Z
- Mobile Suit Gundam and almost every other Gundam title since, excluding 0080, The 08th MS Team, 0083, Char's Counterattack, SEED and Iron Blooded Orphans. Those series still have Gundams, but the series/film names don't refer to a specific unit like most Gundam sequels.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Outlaw Star
- Sentou Yousei Yukikaze
- Sol Bianca
- Space Battleship Yamato AKA Star Blazers)
- Space Runaway Ideon
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Vandread sort of. The main ship is called the Nirvana, but the series gets it's name from the Vandreads (made by combining Dread fighter-ships Van mecha) all of which are called Vandred (insert female pilot's name here), except Super Vandread a.k.a. Vandread Pyoro (Pyoro being a robot and neither a pilot nor female)
- Vision of Escaflowne
- Voltes V
- The Haunted Tank in The DCU.
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
- Air Force One
- The Battleship Potemkin. A film labelled "the most important propaganda film of all time".
- The Beast of War, though not calling it by name.
- The Big Bus
- Black Moon Rising
- Blue Ruin, after Dwight's blue Pontiac. "Ruin" refers both to the dismal state of the car and the dismal state of Dwight's life after his parents were killed inside it 20 years earlier.
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
- Drive Angry
- Event Horizon
- The General
- Ghost Ship
- Gran Torino
- The Hindenburg
- The Hunt for Red October
- K19: The Widowmaker
- The Love Bug
- Money Train
- The Navigator
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- The Poseidon Adventure and its remake Poseidon
- Raise the Titanic!
- The Rover
- Serenity, The Movie of Firefly. See the Live Action TV section below for the latter.
- Silver Streak (Silver Streak is the nickname of the train.)
- Snakes on a Plane
- 3:10 to Yuma (1957)
- Titanic (1943)
- Titanic (1997)
- The Titfield Thunderbolt
- Transformers Film Series (technically, since the eponymous mechas can transform into various vehicles)
- USS Indianpolis: Men of Courage
- The Wackiest Ship in the Army
- Clive Cussler's Raise the Titanic!.
- C. S. Forrester's The Last Nine Days of the Bismarck and its 1960 film adaptation, Sink the Bismarck!
- Stephen King's Christine
- HMS Surprise of the Aubrey-Maturin series.
- The Magic School Bus
- Several of the novels in the Clockwork Century series are named after vehicles:
- The Time Machine
- Airwolf (helicopter)
- Ark II
- Battlestar Galactica
- Choujin Sentai Jetman (two of the eponymous team's three Humongous Mechas are composed of combining Cool Planes and a transforming Cool Starship)
- Engine Sentai Go-onger (the eponymous team's mechas are all made of Cool Cars)
- Firefly to an extent. While the actual ship was named Serenity, it was a Firefly-class transport.
- Gekisou Sentai Carranger and its western counterpart, Power Rangers Turbo (the eponymous teams' mechas are all made of Cool Cars)
- Technically, every Kamen Rider series since they're all Badass Bikers.
- Kousoku Sentai Turboranger (the eponymous team's mechas are all made of Cool Cars)
- The Love Boat was an in-universe nickname for the semi-eponymous cruise liner "Pacific Princess".
- Red Dwarf
- Star Trek
- In German-speaking markets, Star Trek was originally called Raumschiff Enterprise.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine has the episodes "Defiant" and "Valiant". Care to guess which ships those episodes revolve around? There was another episode called simply "The Ship" about a crashed Jem'hadar fighter.
- The series is set on a space station called Deep Space Nine, and so it is technically a "The Place" title, rather than a vehicle title. On the other hand, the station does move a (comparatively) short distance in the first episode, to take position next to a wormhole...
- Star Trek: Enterprise, which was originally just Enterprise until plunging ratings in the second season led to a Re Tool and a mid-series rebranding.
- Star Trek: Voyager, pictured above. Within the show, there are episodes titled "The Raven", "Equinox", and "Alice", which focus on ships with those respective names.
- Star Trek: Discovery, for the most part.
- Street Hawk
- Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell
- Chasing Cars by Counting Crows
- Good Ship Venus
- Jeepney by Spongecola
- Jet lag by Simple Plan and Natasha Bedingfield
- Rock the Boat by Aaliyah (it's her very last single before her untimely death)
- Starships by Nicki Minaj
- Yellow Submarine by The Beatles (also applies to the film)
- Armored Core
- Astro Fang: Super Machine
- Starship Titanic
- Gatling Gears
- Metal Gear - Only for the first game, where the enemy mecha is simply called "Metal Gear". Afterward, the game titles and the Metal Gear mecha featured in each game no longer matched up.
- Except for Peace Walker, which is the name of the game's featured mecha.
- Metal Slug. The subtitle for the first game is even "Super Vehicle 001".
- Chrome Hounds
- MechWarrior - The warriors of the future pilot (battle)Mechs
- R-Type - The R-Series fighters.
- Numerous vehicle simulators, especially flight simulations:
- Strike Suit Zero - after the Strike Suit you'll be using for much of the game, the Zero probably refering to it being a prototype.
- Titanic: Adventure Out of Time