aka: Iron Stomach
"If it looks good, eat it. And it all looks good to me."The Extreme Omnivore will eat just about anything out of hunger or curiosity, so long as it looks like food. And sometimes even when it clearly doesn't. They don't fear the Lethal Chef, and you will never hear them say I Ate WHAT? There are two versions of this trope: 1. Unpicky Eater: The more milder of the two and can apply to ordinary unpowered individuals. This character is willing to eat things that may be perfectly nutritious, but are either considered unhygienic (e.g., it fell on the floor, or another character has been eating it, or it's expired and/or spoiled), or taboo (e.g., insects, horseflesh) in that character's society. He may be indifferent to, or ignorant of, the social conventions that keep most people from eating those things, or he might be from another culture or species where such things are accepted. Often they have a Bizarre Taste in Food. This version can exist in real life. 2. Can Eat Anything: For super powered individuals there may be overlap with type one via Personality Powers. They can and will eat anything even things that would make a person gravely sick if they consumed them in real life. Rocks, sticks, dirt, metal... nothing is too tough for this character to eat and they can digest it with few ill consequences. They can digest completely inedible items and may either have strong enough teeth to bite through said material or stomach acid that can digest it as a Required Secondary Power . Their stomach may also be able to hold an excessive amount of food too. If a video game character, they are likely to be able to consume their foes whether living or not. Both versions may also be open to the idea of cannibalism when the opportunity presents itself. Please note that instances of someone being forced to eat something disgusting or inappropriate isn't Extreme Omnivorosity. Likewise for unintentional ingestion. A true Extreme Omnivore has a long-term pattern of eating everything knowingly, willingly, and usually cheerfully. Compare Paste Eater. Horde of Alien Locusts can be an entire species of this. Extreme Omni Goat is a subtrope where this applies to goats. A character like this is likely to be a Big Eater, though a Big Eater generally restricts themselves to things ordinarily considered food.
— Andrew, Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern
- Anime and Manga
- Comic Books
- Live-Action TV
- Tabletop Games
- Video Games
- Web Animation
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- Real Life
open/close all folders
- For a few McDonalds commercials, Ronald McDonald and the McDonaldland gang knew a diminutive monster named Bernice who tended to eat anything. For one ongoing series of commercials, she ate a movie script that Ronald needed, and Ronald had to use things like an X-ray and a flashlight on her to find out what the script said. (In the second case, she ate the flashlight.)
- In the Jackie Chan Adventures fic Queen Of All Oni, after Jade becomes a Shadowkan girl once more, her appetite and metabolism go way up, and in one chapter, she eats a rib, BONE AND ALL!
- In the Jackie Chan Adventures and Teen Titans crossover fic A Shadow Of The Titans (by the same author), this is also true, and focused more on, with Jade lampshading it multiple times, and Jinx making a Running Gag out of asking Jade if she's part goat or something (to be clear, she once bit the tongs off her spoon, and only noticed when she tried to pick up another bite!).
- In the fanfic Twila The Girl Who Waz In Luv With A Vampyre, the protagonists eat Bella's bed after they kill her "so there would be no evidenze (lol geddit like evinezenze.)"
- In several Ed, Edd n Eddy fanfics, Doc Boy from Garfield would often show up or be mentioned. In these fics, he's been known to eat ANYTHING, including people.
- Calvin and Hobbes: The Series has DreamFuture!Calvin and Hobbes forced to eat tires while deserted. Later in the same episode (after the dream ends), Calvin remarks that gum ointment is somewhat tasty and contemplates eating a tire.
- Garfield fits this. He'll eat anything that's edible, including things like chocolate that would kill a real cat. Although even he has his limits - he hates raisins, and Jon's cooking at times. He also refuses to eat mice, much to Jon's disappointment.
- He's eaten a few inedible objects too, although in most cases it's by accident because he's shovelling down his food so fast he doesn't realize until it's too late. Deliberate examples include swallowing the TV remote to keep Jon from getting it, and eating Jon's wallet because it was made from cowhide.
- Get Fuzzy: Satchel is one; he has eaten seat cushions, candles, and the remote for the TV.
- The Spikit from BIONICLE. It has been known to tear parts off people's cars and eat them.
- Also, the Kinloka Rat. It can and will eat anything and everything.