And Your Reward Is Edible
Initially, this trope is Exactly What It Says on the Tin
. A character is given food for his kind and selfless actions to the bystander in trouble. Expect this trope to show up in a lot of media.
Compare Food as Bribe
, Tastes Like Friendship
. Contrast Denied Food as Punishment
Anime and Manga
- A Dunkin Donuts commercial claims that its iced coffee is sufficient reward for a friend coming to help move.
- This Whataburger ad which airs from Thanksgiving to Christmas.
- Inverted in an episode of Kurokami, where a girl is revealed to be an Improbable Weapon User after being bought a bowl of ramen.
- Tubby also receives this treatment in an episode of the Little Lulu anime after inadvertently finding Lulu's pop's lucky gold piece in the mud, while making a mud cake to pass off as a real cake ( He and the others ate the entire cake that was intended for Lulu's pop).
- Par for the course in Toriko, since the food's what they're after in the first place.
- Subverted in Balto where Steele frames Balto by throwing sausage links that he stole himself from a butcher shop at Balto. The butcher blames Balto for stealing the sausages then promptly rewards Steele with the sausages that he stole himself. That Steele is a complete jerk.
- There is a Clifford the Big Red Dog book where Clifford is rewarded with some meat by a meat truck driver after helping him with his truck while looking for Emily Elizabeth.
- Invoked by Ciaphas Cain in Death Or Glory; after spending the entire novel leading an epic trek to safety through Ork infested territory he's pleased to realise that the regiment that's been sent to meet his group of ragtag survivors is Valhallan and promptly asks for his long awaited cup of tanna.
- Also shows up in an episode of The Benny Hill Show.
- Played straight in Survivor. The winners of a challenge with food as the prize might get more to eat after the challenge then than the losers do in the entire period between tribal councils.
- Referenced in How I Met Your Mother: People helping friends move in exchange for beer and pizza.
- Several rewards in Kid Nation were food items.
- Exalted: Sidereals working for the Bureau of Destiny receive their salaries in the form of Ambrosia and Quintessence. Both are edible and delicious. Young Sidereals are advised not to eat their paycheques.
- A darker variation occurs as of Survival of the Fittest v5, in which BKA winners also get food along with a new weapon. BKA stands for Best Kill Award.
- This is very common in the more traditional parts of the U.S. It is understood that when you enlist a gang of your friends and acquaintances for some big task like moving or yard/farm work, you will at the very least provide lunch or dinner.
- Beer can be a 'currency' among friends for small favours.
- In Canada, a case of beer is a usually unstated automatic reward for helping someone move, fix their car, name your task that takes a good few hours out of a day.
- "I'll give you beer if you edit my paper" is not an uncommon sentence among university students.
- Lollipops at the doctor's office. Alternatively, the jar of sweets on the teacher's desk.
- Going out for pizza or ice cream after winning a ball game or getting an "A" on one's report card.