Your show has been a smash success! You're on your 5th or 6th season and your star decides he's had enough ... and decides to end the series. But you don't want to end just yet! Maybe the producers want to milk the cash cow a little longer. Maybe you can create ... an After Show.
An After Show is a very specific combination of Spinoff
. It is a clear attempt to extend the life of a show by renaming it. To be an After Show it must 1) come after the end of the original series and 2) Star as regular cast members at least one member who could have been considered a star on the original or feature the same setting as the original show. For example ... The Ropers
is just a spin-off of Three's Company
, but Three's a Crowd
is an After Show.
The best way to illustrate an After Show is if it can be placed in this statement.... ________ is an attempt to do _______ without ___________ .
Named after the show AfterMASH
, one of the most famous After Shows
If, after the star leaves, the execs decide to carry on under the same
brand, then said brand has instituted Final Season Casting
. Also compare Post Script Season
, which occurs when a series with season-long arcs
; whereas this variant applies primarily to shows that are Episodic in nature.
- The Adventures of Superpup is an attempt to do The Adventures of Superman without Superman.
- Archie Bunker's Place is an attempt to do All in the Family without the Family.
- AfterMASH is an attempt to do Mash without Hawkeye, BJ, Charles, Hot Lips, and war.
- Golden Palace is an attempt to do The Golden Girls without Dorothy.
- The Legacy Of Reginald Perrin is an attempt to do The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin without Reginald Perrin (due to Actor Existence Failure).
- Mayberry RFD is an attempt to do The Andy Griffith Show without Andy Griffith.
- Pete and Gladys is an attempt to do December Bride without the December bride.
- So Random is an attempt to do Sonny With A Chance without Sonny. Unusual in that So Random was originally a sketch comedy that existed In-Universe, before becoming an actual show.
- The New WKRP In Cincinatti is an attempt to do WKRP in Cincinnati without the younger office workers.
- Ozzie's Girls is an attempt to do The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet without the Nelson Brothers.
- Sanford is an attempt to do Sanford and Son without the Son.
- Sanford Arms is an attempt to do Sanford and Son without Sanford or Son.
- Star Trek: The Next Generation is an attempt to do Star Trek: The Original Series without the Original Crew.
- The After Show concept is the main reason Paramount felt confident in pouring so much money into Next Gen's first season - they figured if it bombed, they'd just add the episodes to the original show's 79 episode syndication package and make money off the 13/26 episodes that way.
- Three's a Crowd is an attempt to do Three's Company without Janet and Terri/Crissy/Cindy.
- Genshiken has recently been re-started but since almost all the male club members have graduated the series is now focused on the adventures of the club's now nearly all-female cast. Not really a case of executive milking, since it's just an adaptation of the storyline the original author has created.
- Scrubs season nine, aka Scrubs: Med School is an attempt to do Scrubs without JD, Carla, The Janitor or Elliot.
- Oddly though, this one kind of plays with it because despite wanting to try doing the show without him the producers still had Zach Braff guest star for about half the episodes of the season (and Elliot for 4) which makes it seem like even they didn't have faith that the show could carry on without him.
- Stargate SG-1's ninth and tenth seasons. The producers wanted to change the title to "Stargate Command" and do exactly this, but the network wanted the name power of SG-1. To use the above prescribed phrase, seasons 9 and 10 were an attempt to do SG-1 without Richard Dean Anderson.
- Grace and Favour, known as Are You Being Served Again in the States, is an attempt to do Are You Being Served? without the department store (traded in for a bed and breakfast), Mr. Lucas or Mr. Spooner, or either of the elderly Grace Brothers the store was named for.
- It Sticks Out Half a Mile was a radio-show attempt at making Dad's Army without Captain Mainwaring or most of the platoon. Actually, Arthur Lowe was supposed to voice his character in the show but he died after making one episode, so they built up John LeMesurier's Arthur Wilson as the main character. His death a year later effectively ended all work on the program.
- Degrassi: The Next Generation is an attempt to do Degrassi Junior High/Degrassi High without the original students except Snake, Spike, Caitlin, Joey, and Mr. Raditch (who was the principal in the first four seasons)
- Degrassi is an attempt to do Degrassi: The Next Generation without Emma, Manny, Spinner, Liberty, and Jay. Though still considered the same show, the name was officially shortened around season 10.
- Fernwood 2-Night is an attempt to do Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman without Mary as a talk show.
- Cory in the House is an attempt to do That's So Raven without Raven, Chelsie, Eddie, and Mrs. Baxter.
- The Hogan Family is an attempt to do Valerie without Valerie (due to the main character being killed off).
- Although, technically, that's not really an Afte rShow so much as a simple re-titling of the original series.
- The Suite Life on Deck is an attempt to do The Suite Life of Zack and Cody without Carey and Maddie.
- Newhart was at one point to have been an After Show to The Bob Newhart Show, with Suzanne Pleshette again being Bob's wife Emily, with them running the Inn. However, when you consider how the show ended...
- What's Happening Now is What's Happening!! with all the characters grown up one now married and without Mrs Thomas.
- Jonas L.A. is an attempt to do Jonas without their parents and Arizona setting.
- Monty Python is an attempt to do Monty Python's Flying Circus without John Cleese.
- Wall Street Week with Fortune is an attempt to do Wall Street Week without Louis Rukeyser.
- Major Crimes is an attempt to do The Closer without Kyra Sedgwick.
- The George Burns Show is an attempt to do The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show without Gracie Allen.
- Kate Plus 8 is an attempt to do Jon And Kate Plus Eight without Jon.
- Solo One is an attempt to do Matlock Police without the main cast.
- McMilian is an attempt to do McMillan and Wife without the wife.
- The Dumping Ground is an attempt to do The Story Of Tracy Beaker/Tracy Beaker Returns without Tracy Beaker.
- Lewis is an attempt to do Inspector Morse without Inspector Morse.
- Sabrina's Secret Life is an attempt to do Sabrina: The Animated Series with the characters aged up by two years and without Gem, Chloe, Quigley, or Pi.