Literature: The Land of Stories
The Land of Stories is described by Chris Colfer (yes, that Chris Colfer) as a "modern day fairytale," following twins Alex and Conner Bailey as they fall from the real world into a world full of fairytales they have only ever read about before. But after run-ins with trolls, goblins, wolves, and witches, getting home might be more difficult than they previously thought. The series currently has four entries: The Wishing Spell, The Enchantress Returns, A Grimm Warning, and Beyond the Kingdoms.
- Adaptation Distillation: This makes it so that the Prince Charmings of Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Snow White are all brothers.
- All Myths Are True: Many fairy tales (if not all) are real tales from The Land of Stories.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: In-universe example. Connerís presentation on The Boy Who Cried Wolf has this, with Conner stating that the boy was just a little kid who didnít know any better and should have been supervised by his parents in the first place.
- Another Dimension: The Land of Stories take place in a world physically separate from the story's version of Earth.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: The Little Mermaid after her death, becoming the Sea Foam Spirit.
- Baleful Polymorph: Froggy is a human that turned into a large frog by a wish. He's actually the missing Charming prince, and is briefly returned to his human form, but later discovers he's actually better off as a frog, and decides to stay as one.
- Big Bad:
- The Evil Queen for The Wishing Spell.
- The Enchantress for The Enchantress Returns.
- General Marquis for A Grimm Problem.
- The Masked Man for Beyond the Kingdoms.
- Deadpan Snarker: Conner, who snarks in almost every single scene he's in (a prime example being in the below Getting Crap Past the Radar).
- December-December Romance: Merlin and Mother Goose, who fall in love and decide to stay together in Beyond the Kingdoms
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: When Alex and Conner jump into freezing cold water.Conner: We might be twin sisters now!
- Half-Human Hybrid: Alex and Conner are half fairy.
- Meaningful Name: Mira, who was turned into The Magic Mirror.
- Reality Ensues: After spending 100 asleep, the Sleeping Kingdom is mostly dead and the inhabitants still prefer to sleep all day. Sleeping Beauty is still trying to make things right.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Where Alex is an overachieving "A" student and an optimist in love with fairytales, Conner is extremely lazy in school and a sarcastic skeptic.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Carter calls the Fairy Council out on how they were punishing a fairy who lost her temper and turned the wings of another fairy who was teasing her into prune leaves for a few seconds (and how they were ready to banish her), but they weren't doing anything about the Trolls and Goblins enslaving people. Though they don't show their shame, they all admit that he's right, and the fairy is pardoned.
- Year Outside, Hour Inside: Time on Earth passes faster than in the Land of Stories, allowing the twins to meet Cinderella, etc, despite their tales being centuries old. Though due to the twins' birth the worlds have begun moving at a similar speed.