Even though this is primarily a horror series, there are still a few parts that may make you laugh, intentionally or otherwise.
- The Narm that ensued when Noah began stabbing the bushes in Night Recording. Even the creator lampshades this on occasion.
- In Northern Trip, where Noah talks with the Everyman HYBRID crew, they come to the conclusion that Ted Turner must be the one behind everything.
- Noah's phrase at the end of Device Findings.
Noah: Maxwell out.
- Also, practically anything on Noah's Formspring. His description of "You troll me, I troll you harder" is a basic indication of this.
- His Cluster F Bombs are also quite amusing at times.
- Shown to be inherited in Secret Parent Interview. Who talks to their kids like that?
- In Halloween Hotel, he finds out he got a Double room, rather than a single. His reaction? "Thanks for reminding me I'm Forever Alone."
- The entirety of Halloween Hotel was made up of the Observer trolling Noah and leaving mocking messages, all the while popping around corners like a demented game of peek-a-boo. Noah just getting increasingly angry with every little "joke" the Observer plays on him just makes it funnier.
- A few questions on Noah's formspring while it was hijacked by the Observer, such as:
holdingtruth: WHY DO YOU NOT ANSWER ME??OBSERVER: haveyoueverthoughtthatitisbecauseyouaskterriblequestions?
Asker: IfyoursessionendshereandyouclaimthatyouusetohaveavesselandalsoyouexistedbeforewebeganandaslongasaspecifichistoricaleventhappenedareyougodandamindinanewvesselwithvesselsbetweentherealmofthelivingandtgedeadbutnowhavelostyourvesselandbecomenothingbutthedarkOBSERVER: looki am mocking you nowAsker: Whydoyoualwaystypelikethisandnot like this?OBSERVER: donotmockme
- Normally, the Observer doesn't use spaces in his answers, but look what happens when an asker does that too:
- Noah's 04/01/12 tweet. Just try to imagine this actually happening.
- Noah's reaction to seeing Slender Man across the hall from him in Mary Asher Phone Call.
Hey buddy, how you doin'? Here for my birthday, huh? Well I've got a gift for you, right here!
- The Thanksgiving Footage has a lot of cute and humorous moments in it. That is, when Noah's not being batshit insane...
- The fight between Noah and Slendy and the end of Mary Asher Phone Call was pretty scary until a friend added commentary:
"Noah uses Taunt. It's not effective. Noah uses Pistol. It's not effective. Slendy uses Dash. It's super effective! Slendy uses Taunt. Noah Flees." Then topped it off by humming the Final Fantasy victory theme!
- The Observer popping up from behind Noah's chair in "Several Months of Hell" is this to some.
- Noah plays Tetris in The Manifest.
*gets a four-line combo* That feels good, that feels really, really good.
- Even better, during a brief frame, it's possible to see a message that seems like it was placed there by a member of the Collective: "the I is the key save it"
- Noah, Alex and Chris attempting to flee for their lives from Slendy in "The Order"... only to have the car stall.
Noah: Oh, no.Alex: This has happened to us before.Noah: Then why the fuck did we take this car?!
Noah: Okay, we're not getting out of this car! He's gonna be right there closer, it's all part of his plan! It's all part of his fucking game!Alex: What the fuck are we going to do? What're we gonna do?!Noah: Try turning the lights on, man.(Headlights flicker and turn on.)Alex: They're working now...(Sound of something flying through the air, followed by one of the cultists landing on the roof with a BANG! He rolls off and onto the windshield, revealing a bloodied face.)Chris, Alex and Noah: AAAAAAHHHHHH!
- And a moment later, a Slendy-induced blackout leads to a scene straight out of Jurassic Park:
- After learning that Noah accidentally revealed their names to the Order, Chris and Alex abandon him in a parking lot. Fortunately, their associate Daniel Shipman is close by and stops to pick him up.
Daniel: I've been worrying like crazy. I thought you were dead.Noah: I thought I was too. I thought I was too. (long pause) Can I get some ice cream?
- The Observer getting owned by Firebrand and his subsequent breakdown is this to some, especially with how smug he was leading up to Noah's birthday.
- As one YouTube comment put it, "U Mad Observer?"
- Some of Noah's drunken antics during the Live Stream are this — at least until the broadcast takes a flying leap into Mind Screw territory.
- The YouTube upload of the same Live Stream included footage that wasn't in the original, including an ending with Noah thanking Firebrand. Firebrand responds by editing a picture into the last frame of the video: himself, posed in a Badass Arm-Fold... next to the words "YOU'RE FUCKING WELCOME".
- In DEUS EX MACHINA, Firebrand promises to throw his full support behind Noah. He shows footage of Noah sleeping, where he turns around to see the Slender Man, getting his tentacles out, ready to attack. Firebrand flips him off and Slender Man puts his tentacles away and can only really be described as looking totally baffled◊.
- Noah: Gotta admit though, uh, when uh.... (laughs) when he gave Daddy Long Legs the finger, I smiled. Something I would do.
- During their 2012 holiday get-together, the casts of Tribe Twelve and Dark Harvest collaborated once again for a very special entry: Thanksgiving Day Footage: Day 3 (NSFW).
- Noah referring to Slenderman/The Administrator as "Daddy Long-Legs" in Obituary.
- In Extraordinary Circumstances, Noah finds a DV tape by "look[ing] deep into the soles" as instructed. And what does he say about this? "More tapes."
- Firebrand's appearance at the end of the video and the final frame can also be considered funny.
- A number of viewers remarked that Firebrand's abrupt appearance and departure wouldn't be out of place at the end of a TV sitcom. One fan took this to its logical conclusions.
- The static buildup that happens every time Noah gets ready to open the suitcase, as if something terrible is going to emerge from it the second the latches are undone. It starts out terrifying, but it begins to approach Overly Long Gag territory by the time he actually opens it.
- Firebrand's appearance at the end of the video and the final frame can also be considered funny.
- "Severance" features HABIT in top comedic form, although he still manages to provide plenty of Nightmare Fuel as well.
"He's just doing this to piss me off, he knows I'm Jewish."
- Earlier in Severance, Noah notices the Christmas border on the letter.
Noah: God, you look terrible.
- Also the letter is written in a delightfully trolling style and Comic Sans.
- The banter toward the start is great.
HABIT: Well fuck you, too.
Noah: I saw you kill your friends!
- HABIT randomly switching back and forth between threatening Noah with his Voice of the Legion and being a Kindhearted Cat Lover lightly scolding his cats for misbehaving.
- This exchange:
HABIT: (mockingly repeats Noah's line and then chuckles) No I didn't. I killed his (Evan's) friends!
"He's not just evil, he's like... he's like "silly evil"... and that's disturbing as shit!
- The contents of HABIT's whiteboard:
- "The cake is a lie", as well as the name "Chell" inside a heart.
- A game of Hangman with the word "_UCK". Which he seems to have lost.
- A recipe that calls for 1 pound of "beef", quotes included.
- Apparent plans to abduct some poor bastard at a diner (possibly the guy in the bathroom). He makes a note to assume that the person will be drunk, and he also plans to have Vinny drive.
- HABIT trying patiently to explain the proper usage of the Severance symbol to Noah. He spends a moment struggling to find the proper words before he loses patience, grabs his knife and snaps, "Put it on a knife, you fucking retard, and shiv 'em in the neck!"'
- After their business is concluded, HABIT unceremoniously kicks Noah out of the house.
HABIT: I've been expecting pizza, and I don't want you having any.Noah: But I-I-I don't even know where I am!HABIT: (mockingly) That's... cool! I-I-I I don't care!
- After being shoved out the front door, Noah angrily yanks it back open and unleashes a string of curses at HABIT...who stares at him in mock surprise and remarks, "You're not the pizza guy!"
- All in all, Noah says it best while reading the letter early in the video:
- Noah's Freak Out! when he realizes HABIT transported him to New Jersey:
- Noah: I wasn't gonna come myself so he fucking took me. 'Least I don't gotta pump my own fucking gas!
- "Bridge to Nowhere" has Evan/HABIT issuing his usual threats to Noah... until he notices that Noah is filming, at which point he adjusts his cap, flattens his hair, and insists that they be on their best behavior for the camera.
- "Fortunes" has a stretch of a haggard-looking Noah talking about attending a funeral, his tone dull and full of dread. And then "Oh, and I have a Vine account now, I guess!" Made even funnier when a screenshot of said account pops up. The Mood Whiplash is great.
- For a brief moment in the video, all of the fortunes Noah has lined up turn into "Bad luck and misfortune will infest your pathetic soul for all eternity." That sounds really harsh in the context. But then you realize it's a reference to Rocko's Modern Life.
- "Crawlspace" Which has among much Nightmare Fuel, Noah getting frightened by a book and punches it across the room. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Said context being Milo's journal being so pissed that Noah won't read it, that it gets up as if it's squaring off to deck him in the face. After prefacing this with a dissonant "OPEN ME" in a far louder, deeper tone than it's used for most of the video.
- Noah has been tormented by somebody leaving fortune cookies all over his room. When he finds one in his CD case, he unwraps and eats it, fortune and all.
- As Noah studies the journal at his desk, it whispers, "I have something very special to tell you... listen...". Noah holds the book right up against his ear... only to have the book whisper-shout "I watch you sleep!".
- The Grumpy Cat-esque face Noah make in response became an instant favorite amongst the viewers.
- Noah eating a $100 bill and washing it down with liquor.
- Noah attempting to open the journal and not being able to bring himself to with it pleading him not to hurt it, which is not an entirely funny moment. The funny part is the escalating tools he tries to use for the job. He first tries picking the lock, then cutting the strap with a knife, then a pair of scissors, and finally a huge pair of bolt cutters that he seems to pull from under his desk. It isn't even entirely clear if this was meant to be funny.
- Noah seems to have found a teleport spot under his computer desk, which takes him to the boardwalk. After getting back home from another random warp, he decides to tempt fate by sitting under his desk, curled up with his knees at his chest, yelling about being teleported again. He vanishes mid-sentance, yelling about getting impatient, waiting for the warp. The camera tilts to show the hallway, which Noah skids through with leaves blowing behind him, reminiscent of Back to the Future.
- "Pitfall" The short description which sums up Noah's dramatic fall from the boardwalk's tower.
i fellit hurt
- Some of the choices for the reversed BGM can also get a laugh.
- A combination of "Circles" by Soul Coughing and the Super Mario 64 staircase theme when Noah tries to chase the Observer via the tower's now infinite staircase.. Also, when Noah figures out his puzzles the "Correct Solution" sound from the game plays.
- "Free Falling" by Tom Petty for the aforementioned fall from the tower
- And, the coup de grace of the video, "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns N' Roses when Noah is suddenly transported back to the boardwalk.
- The laugh that The Observer has in this entry is rather silly compared to the nightmarish laugh he usually has. Could also be a case of The Observer making it seem like Kevin is having a good time running around and teasing Noah.
- Some of the choices for the reversed BGM can also get a laugh.
- On Twitter, Noah decides to toss the camera into a canal. It returns to his doorstep the very next day and this message is posted:
wow littering is really bad for the environment dude what the fuck. ~ F
i didnt mean to throw the hard drive across the room at him i promise.
- And Noah's response to seeing the Slender Man again?
- "Sisyphus" has Future!Noah riding a fine line between this and Nightmare Fuel.
- For starters, most of his sentences end with "ya dingus". And he rarely curses, unlike his past self.
- Then there's the fact that he's been "working on [his] stand-up routine" ever since he was put "under house arrest".
Future!Noah: [about Noah's imprisonment at the boardwalk] Did you try rolling a five or an eight? [Noah shakes his head - and, by extension, the camera - "no"] Y-You are in the jungle, you know.
Noah: Wh-what? What the fuck're you talking about-?
Future!Noah: Actually, no, don't do that. You don't wanna do that. Don't do that. Please don't do that.
- And then he shows Noah all his "worldly posessions" in the satchel he's carrying.
Future!Noah: So what do we got here? Uhh, we got a bottle of water, got a... can of spam — you don't want that — uh, a box of old raisins, we got Sebastian's journal-
- There's also something funny about Future!Noah telling Noah that he has to "earn" getting the journal in the tone of a father that's scolding an impatient child.
- There's also the implication that Future!Noah doesn't really know what the hell he's doing or why he's doing it, he's just going from memory and repeating what he saw himself do back when he was on the other side of this encounter.
- And then finally, the Jumanji reference from earlier comes back to bite Noah when he gets a fortune cookie containing the exact same instructions to roll a five or eight that Robin Williams's character received... except instead of getting two six-sided dice like in the movie, he has to do it with a single 100-sided die.
- In a bit of meta funny Adam Rosner (Noah's actor) rolled an eight on his first take, resulting in additional editing.
- After about 3 months of silence, the creator accidentally tweets as Noah Maxwell about Game of Thrones, resulting in him having to delete the tweet a few seconds later. How does in-game Noah respond to this?
Noah: you know your life is shit when living in the land of westeros seems like a much better situation.
- A bit of fridge funny: Even after the sheer amount of shit Noah has been put through, he still found the time to catch up on Game of Thrones. You go, buddy.
- Firebrand leaves a sixteen tweet Rousing Speech on Noah's twitter. Noah's entire response: 'ok'.
- A day before Noah's birthday in 2017, Future Noah begins posting cryptic and confusing messages for fans on Noah's twitter. When Noah sees the messages and tells his future self to fuck off, he begins responding in messages made entirely out of emojis. Seriously. Noah was not amused by this at all, and this response pretty much sums up his thoughts on the whole situation:
Noah: despite all of the terrible shit that has happened to me in the past seven years, having a twitter conversation on my own account with somebody speaking to me in emoji characters is by far the absolute worst thing that has happened
- Just read that quote above. The "terrible shit that has happened" to Noah includes his cousin committing suicide and watching a video of him coming back to life and murdering his mother, a villainous group of paranormal entities going to extreme lengths to get Noah to do something that he barely understands, killing a fan who sympathized with him while under said group's control, traveling back in time to fill in three Stable Time Loops that have happened in his life on camera while drunk as a sailor, wandering through a psychotic monster's realm and encountering the Alien Geometries there, wasting his days doing nothing in his house, being pushed off a tower and falling to his death in the Collective's realm, getting his hand sliced open by his own future self, and barely escaping the realm with his own life while a Giant Spider chases him around. And it's conversing with his future self using emojis that somehow makes Noah completely give up on everything. Noah must really hate emojis.