Funny: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (IDW)
open/close all folders
The Return of Queen Chrysalis
- The Changelings touch down after being thrown out of Canterlot. They land in the kingdom of adorable kittens. Upon regaining their senses, one of the Changelings leaps into Queen Chrysalis' arms out of fright.
- Two pages later, a changeling remarks that they have "plenty of these guys left" while holding one of the cat-like beings on its hoof. Despite this and all the destruction that just occurred, the little furry ball is still full of love and joy. This is hilarious in a very very cruel way.
- Applejack and Rarity, once again trying out camping. It works about as well as you'd expect, and leads to Chrysalis literally ROTFL.
- Twilight and Fluttershy escape from the oubliette. There is a chupacabra waiting for them right there. Twilight claims it's harmless, because chupacabras only eat goats. Both ponies have sticks stuck in their hair that makes them look distinctly... goatly. Cue running.
- At this point, Chrysalis is crying with laughter from all this.
- The CMCs keep right on with their Cute but Cacophonic act. When Chrysalis just-short-of-explicitly threatens to eat them, they take it to the next level and help make her physically ill. Which leads to...
- Queen Chrysalis orders one of her mooks to bring her an antacid for her CMC-induced heartburn. It's delivered in the form of one more luvcat for her to drain, as described above, but with a bottle of "burp-o-bismal" and a little "get well" card.
- After escaping the chupacabra and vampiric jackalope, Fluttershy assures her friends they're safe now because the creatures are natural enemies and will fight for dominance for the rights to eat them. Her friends are quite disturbed by the violence offscreen while Fluttershy just stares on and smiles.
Fluttershy: Nature is so fascinating...
- Pinkie Pie revealing that she inexplicably carries around giant mascot-style costumes of herself and Rainbow Dash? Funny. Forcing Rainbow Dash to wear said costumes? Funny. Rainbow Dash's utterly resigned reaction to Pinkie's insanity? Hilarious.
- Then top it all off with Chrysalis' deadpan remark in the next panel:
Chrysalis: If I hadn't been watching the pink one for hours, I would think you were making all of that up.
Changeling mook: Yeeeeep. Me too.
- Then brings it back after they make up, much to the horror of the others and resignation of Rainbow Dash. Who is then forced to wear her's again, with Fluttershy staring at in utter shock.
- Dashie's utter bewilderment/horror upon the reveal of the costume deserves mention.
Rainbow Dash: WHERE DID YOU EVEN GET THAT?!
- Just about everything that comes out of Applejack and Rarity's mouths when they are chased by the flower monsters.
Applejack: Ha! Come on you pansies! Just try and keep up with me!
Rarity: I'm trying! I'm trying!
Applejack: Not you!
- Pinkie Pie revealing she always travels with an "I'm Sorry" cake and goody bags.
Pinkie Pie: EAT....THE.....CAKE.
- It's easy to miss, but at the very end, Spike ends up cuddling a luvcat, while Angel makes gagging faces right at the audience.
Luvcat: *walks up to Spike, holds up a card saying "You're My Shnookums!"
Spike: *tears up, then joyfully hugs the Luvcat* You're my schnookums, whatever you are!!
Angel: *gag face*
The Nightmare Arc
- Rainbow Dash coming up with progressively more elaborate and ridiculous plans to save Rarity, only for everypony else (except Pinkie) to completely ignore her.
- When the group is trapped in their nightmares, Pinkie's is that she's a stand-up comedian getting heckled because she can't make the crowd laugh. How does she break free? With this following Badass Boast:
"Guess what, nightmare schmightmare? I am the most
laughter-giving, fun-having, friend-making pony ever! YOU HAVE NO POWER OVER ME!
" *Mic Drop
- One of the nightmare forces repeatedly forgetting that he's supposed to call the leader "Shadowfright", not "Larry."
- Becomes Hilarious in Hindsight in the next issue, when Nightmare Rarity keeps calling him Larry, and he doesn't dare correct her.
- Rainbow suggests making a bomb out of ducttape and Applejack's hair. Really.
- The Punch Clock Villain nightmare who keeps complimenting Rarity's looks.
- Tank launches his attack on a nightmare a little late, so he bounces off Diamond Tiara's head instead.
- This line spoken by Nightmare Rarity: "Are my ears burning? Because with how hot I look, I should be on fire!"
- Doctor Whooves trying to fight off the Nightmares with the help of his sonic screwdriver. It's on the fritz, so he's left just smacking it with a hoof while looking at it quizzically, with a Nightmare joining in.
- Big Macintosh's reaction to Granny Smith's kung-fu moves.
: By the mane of Miyagi
- Pinkie's fondest memory of Rarity is of the unicorn farting in the spa (alluded to in Issue #7). Amy and Heather considered this their "proudest moment".
Zen & The Art of Gazebo Repair
- Ooooh, boy, where to start...
- Bulks Biceps trying to push Big Macintosh into his bulk-building program.
Bulks Biceps: Yeah!
Big Macintosh: Nope.
Bulks Biceps: YEAH!
Big Macintosh: Nope.
Bulks Biceps: YEAH!!!
Big Macintosh: ...Nope.
Bulks Biceps: Well okay, you have a nice day.
Big Macintosh: ...'Yup.
- Luna's Twilight Zone T-shirt with its ever-changing slogans, including 'Blame my sister', 'Night Moves', 'Don't start with me, you won't win' and 'Buy me things'.
- Fleetfoot's daydream of living out her life with Big Mac.
- Particularly funny is the end bit. Among the things she's imagined are a ball and chain, and a pre-nup.
- She spent so long in her romance fantasy (and it was a long one; it started with Big Mac and Fleetfoot's romantic first date all the way up to the two of them, visibly wrinkled and elderly, sitting on a beach together during the sunset) that the nurse had her dragged off to the infirmary for concussion treatment.
- Since this was one of the first previews of the issue that appeared, given the lavish detail of the page depicting the daydream, plenty of people thought Fleetfoot's crush on Big Mac would be a prominent plot-point. Turns out it's just a single splash page for a single gag!
- The simple fact that Big Mac doesn't seem to notice how many ladies seem to have a thing for him. Including Fleetfoot, Bon Bon, Berry Punch and even Princess Luna!
- The CMC's ill-chosen passwords to indicate when to launch their fireworks.
- The Cakes asking him to either deliver a big cake or mind their barely-controlled babies and... not really giving him a choice:
Big Mac: THE CAKE. THE CAKE. I WANT TO DELIVER THE CAKE. BRING BACK THE CAKE.
- The map showing Big Mac walk around the whole festival and the narrations explain what happened. This includes another a random offscreen adventure by visiting a science fair booth.
Accidentally enters timewarp. Save Ponyville from Mutant Apes. Returns 5 minutes earlier
- Also from said map: Big Mac encounters Sweetcream Scoops kissing booth...and she's making a mint.
DANGER! Abort! Abort!
- Zecora tries to give Big Mac advice, but stops for a moment because she has difficulty thinking of something she can say in rhyme (while still speaking in rhyme). By the time she can come up with more, she and Big Mac notice the hardware store is in flames.
- The epic, two page spread of Shining Armor and friends rocking out is hilarious as it awesome.
- Said rock concert is also how Vinyl Scratch got her cutie mark.
- "I VOW UPON THE TWELVE HOUSES OF ELVISH PONIES THAT I SHALL WOO THE FAIR CADA-"
- "No need for vows! We get it already!"
- "No, she's perfect. We'll live happily ever after in a crystal castle. I can see it clearly..." "COLLECTIVE SIGH..."
- Bonus points for the Stylistic Suck drawing in Shining Armor's fantasy.
- Bonus Bonus points to Cadance for having the same fantasy in issue #12. only hers looks much more artistic.
- Shining Armor screams "HELLO!" at Cadance as he's leaving for the flugelhorn recital while Cadance foalsits Twilight. Shining and Twilight's respective thoughts?
Shining: Nailed it!
- Even better when we find out, in issue #12, that Cadance took this greeting as an endearing charm.
- 8-Bit's dwarven pony character in the 2-page short (it alone, a funny sight), saying they need gold to buy mounts. You are mounts!
- the entire, rather ironic, revelation that Shining Armor, a pony that would later become CAPTAIN of Celestia's Royal Guard and also become PRINCE of an EMPIRE, was a complete and total dork.
- When Cadence goes to the dance with Buck, planning to ditch him during it, Celestia says she should honor her obligations. Then Buck shows up, and Celestia immediately agrees with Cadence's plan.
Princess Celestia: (through clenched teeth) Ditch him the first chance you get.
- To add to the hilarity, both Celestia's and Cadance's expressions throughout the entire page are pure gold. While Cadance retains the same deadpan unimpressed look on her face, Celestia is completely dumbstruck by the sheer unexpected arrogance and rudeness of Buck. And this is a pony who rarely ever loses her composure, which really says a lot about Buck.
- It turns out what first got Twilight and Cadence to become such good friends was their equal devotion to get Shining Armor to date Cadence.
- Cadence and Twilight play dueling nerd.
Cadence: Yes! Will you help me?
Twilight: That depends... are you ready to take extensive notes on his likes and dislikes, to create several comparative charts about your popularity vs. his? Did you bring a label maker? Is your paper wide ruled or academy ruled?
Cadence: I have 37 different colors of paper for my label maker. I always have an abacus with me just in case I need to calculate percentages for a pie chart. Wide-ruled paper is for foals. Let's do this.
Twilight: Cadence... I think you and I are going to get along very well.
- The collected reactions to Poindexter in full drag. Including Buck's right-hoof stallion falling in love with "her".
- The real reason Shining Armor and Cadence hooked up? Sam and Al.
The Salty-Sea Mare
Ponies in Book Land
- Rainbow Dash going catatonic upon meeting Daring Do.
- Luna sees Celestia entering the Magic Mirror, and...
Luna: SISTER! GET THINE HINDQUARTERS BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!
- Luna's indignant expression as she recounts how hard she's worked to keep Equestria in the dark — she's had to raise the sun herself (clearly having trouble doing it), then dress up like Celestia, including pink make-up and a clown wig, pose as her all day, then have Celestia's assistant hose her off. She sums the sequence up thusly:
Luna: Tis been difficult.
- Meanwhile, Pinkie can be seen chewing and blowing bubbles with some gum she found stuck to the underside of the table.
- Luna doesn't know the phases of the Moon!
- The Running Gag of Pinkie Pie pulling out a dictionary to look up the meaning of words she doesn't recognize from Luna's Flowery Elizabethan English.
- Twilight asks the other members of the Mane Six what they wanted to grow up to be when they were fillies.
Apple farmer! Rainbow Dash:
Wonderbolt! Pinkie Pie:
Professional cupcake taster! Fluttershy: Dentist
! *everyone stares* Fluttershy:
What? I liked flossing, okay?"
- Star Swirl - this epic powerful wizard that Twilight has looked up to and deemed one of the most important figures of Equestrian society - is a goofy mentor falling somewhere between Doc Brown and Merlin.
- TYRANNOSAURUS REX FLUTTERSHY.
- Seeing some of the antagonists being celebrated as heroes in Mirror Universe can be very amusing. This includes a statue of Discord with the words "Our Hero" inscribed on it and stained glass windows of Flim and Flam, Trixie (as an alicorn princess of all things), and Chrysalis representing the values of Fairness, Humility, and Love, respectively.
- Better yet, who's our candidate for Wisdom? Derpy.
- An entire page is dedicated to giving a Hand Wave for why it's never been mentioned before that Celestia and Star Swirl were friends; a past incarnation of Spike was an apprentice to a pony that designed one of the stained glass windows in Canterlot castle, this one depicting Celestia and Star Swirl. Then it shattered. "Now no pony will know about the amazing friendship between our beloved Princess and her magical counsel, Star Swirl, just by looking up at a window! It'll be like some big secret or something!"
- The caption boxes having a hard time handling the switches between not only two universes, but two time frames.
- Pinkie "twang"ing Twilight's horn to remind her she's a unicorn to get them out of prison.
- The good version of King Sombra is revealed as Tall, Dark and Handsome. Rarity falls for him, to no one's surprise. Fluttershy also goes, literally, weak in the knees at the sight of Sombra, which no one at all expected.
- A particularly Funny Background Event: Pinkie and Spike discussing what to call the evil counterparts of Celestia and Luna.
Pinkie: Shamlestia? Fauxlestia?
Spike: Dupluna? Twona?
- One of the flashbacks to the past open with Celestia and Star Swirl in a prison cell in an alternate dimension.
Celestia: We're here for five seconds and you insult a palace guard. Nice.
Star Swirl: He had on a funny hat!
Celestia: You're one to talk.
- And on the next page, in present day, the Mane Six (and Spike) are in the same, somewhat more run-down, cell — in a similar predicament.
Applejack: You just had to make fun of their helmets, didn't you? They were probably going to just give us a slap on the hoof until you mentioned the helmets.
Twilight: What? I was making an observation! It is a funny hat!
Rarity: I have to agree with Twilight on this one, they are a bit tacky.
- In one of the montage panels of Celestia and Star Swirl going to various dimensions, you see Star Swirl offering Celestia something called the "Hyde Formula".
Star Swirl: Try it, can't hurt.
- Twilight's Imagine Spot about Starswirl as an alicorn. She even breaks out laughing at the sight.
- As always, Pinkie;
: (About Sombra) Wow! That means you're even older than Fluttershy! Fluttershy
: *Death Glare
- Luna protesting Celestia seeing the alternate universe Luna as a Replacement Goldfish for her. When Celestia explains it wasn't like that and she just needed somepony to talk to, Luna snaps "You could have brought me back from the moon!"
- Luna offering Celestia some tea to calm her nerves, then shouting "SERVANT, TEA!", prompting Kibitz to rush in with the cart. Celestia says they could get their own tea, prompting Luna to question the point of being royalty if they have to do those things for themselves.
- Pinkie and Fluttershy listing off times Pinkie's failed at stuff, much to the consternation of the others.
- Pinkie's indignation at the excess violence in the last issue of the arc "you can't do that! This is a kids' comic!"
- Twilight is surprised that Rainbow Dash hasn't read the thesaurus Twilight gave her for her birthday:
Rainbow: Of course I haven't read it! Who reads a thesaurus for fun?!
Twilight: I do! It makes the vernacular abound with convivial pleasantry!
Issues 21- 22
- Applejack's expression during the show, in contrast to everypony else.
- The Funny Background Event antics of the police ponies.
- When Angel tells the pets that all of Ponyville is being hypnotized to destroy the dam which would destroy Ponyville, all of them get scared except for Opal. Then Angel shows that destroying the dam would result in a flood, leading to one very wet cat. Cue major Oh, Crap from Opal.
- Angel's Face Palm at Fluttershy's other animals freaking out over her absence.
Root of the Problem
- Luna eagerly making a pun about hanging around, much to Celestia's annoyance.