open/close all folders
It is quite difficult to find these in this book, but...
- Vernon's reaction to having to move out of his house. Harry notes with amusement how he's been packing and unpacking indecisively for days. Later, when he tried to shake Harry's hand, he couldn't quite manage it and just start pumping his fist beside his body like a cheap wind-up toy.
- The early scene where several characters are Polyjuiced into Harry Potter decoys, including twins Fred and George. The twins immediately observe, "Wow, we're identical!"
- From the same scene, Harry's reaction to seeing all his doubles changing their clothes: 'He felt like asking them to show a little more respect for his privacy as they all began stripping off with impunity, clearly much more at ease with displaying his body than they would have been with their own.' Ron exclaiming (in a Shout-Out to a joke made in Half-Blood Prince about Harry's chest), "I knew Ginny was lying about that tattoo," can only be topped by this moment after Bill offers to take Fleur on a thestral: 'Fleur walked over to stand beside him, giving him a sappy, slavish look Harry hoped with all his heart would never appear on his face again.'
- Fleur, upon turning into Harry (with the real Harry standing right there): "Bill, don't look at me; I'm 'ideous!"
- Hermione's innocent innuendo: "Oh, you look much tastier than Crabbe and Goyle!" and Ron's reaction.
- "Harry, your eyesight really is awful."
- And later still, after George has lost his ear and makes his horrible pun 'I feel saintlike... holey', Fred's reaction: "Pathetic! With the whole wide world of ear-related humor before you, you go for holey?"
- From the scene of the Order at the Dursley's; apparently Moody has seen someone blast their own arse to pieces with a wand. Judging by his reaction — he may have been the one who did it!
- There's also Hermione noting casually that she's waiting for Ron's pants to come out of the wash and Ron's flustered reaction at the implications....
- Harry tells Ron that he had a dream about Gregorovitch, but he doesn't know who Gregorovitch is, only that he has something to do with Quidditch.
Ron: Sure youíre not thinking of Gorgovitch?
Ron: Dragomir Gorgovitch, Chaser, transferred to the Chudley Cannons for a record fee two years ago. Record holder for most Quaffle drops in a season.
Harry: No. Iím definitely not thinking of Gorgovitch.
Ron: I try not to either.
- Harry going crazy with his wand after turning 17 and realizing he's no longer under restriction, accio-ing everything and trying to, among other things, put summon his glasses to his eyes (nearly poked it out), do his shoelaces with magic (the resulting knot took several minutes to undo), and zip his fly...
Ron: I'd still do your fly by hand, though.
- Ron gave Harry what is essentially the wizarding equivalent of a relationship guide, and notes (and stealthily demonstrate) how useful it's been for him and Hermione....
- Most of the wedding:
- Molly Weasley's Green-Eyed Monster reaction when Arthur appears to be getting just a little too friendly with Fleur's mom.
- Fred's "When I get married, I won't be bothering with this. You can all wear what you like and I'll put a Full Body-Bind Curse on Mum until it's over" — until you realize how the final war against Voldemort unfolds for him.
- During the preparation, when Molly orders Ron to clean his room and he refuses.
Molly: Your brother is getting married in a few days!
Ron: And is he getting married in my room? No! So why in the name of Merlin's saggy left—
Arthur: Don't argue with your mother.
- The drunk relative trying to figure out if Polyjuiced Harry was his son.
- Charlie, Hagrid, and another wizard getting drunk and singing about Odo the Wizard.
- Aunt Muriel (and how she looks like a "badly-tempered flamingo") and Ron's response to her.
Ron: Nightmare, Muriel is. She used to come 'round every Christmas until, thank God, Fred and George put a Dungbomb under her chair and she took offense. Dad always said she'd write them out of her will.
- Hermione trying to kick Ron under the table and hitting Harry instead.
- Ron saying about Muriel, "She's rude to everyone" and George comes up saying "Talking about Muriel?" He follows this up with, "She just finished telling me my ears are lopsided."
- The descriptions of Ron's uncle and how he celebrated at parties.
Fred: He used to down an entire bottle of firewhisky, then run on to the dance floor, hoist up his robes, and start pulling bunches of flowers out of his—Hermione: Yes, he sounds a real charmer.(Harry roars with laughter)Ron: Never married for some reason.Hermione: You amaze me.
- Luna's ability to instantly recognize Harry despite the polyjuice potion.
- Viktor Krum getting bewildered with Luna's antics, and seriously has no idea if Harry was putting him on when he tried to explain. There's also the fact that he was ogling Hermione, causing Ron to go all Green-Eyed Monster, and Ginny when he realised Hermione's taken, causing Harry to do the same. Double the funny when you realize that Harry literally has green eyes....
- Fred becoming the wizarding world equivalent of Stephen Colbert on Potterwatch: "He (Voldemort) can run faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo".
- When Harry goes upstairs in his house without telling Ron and Hermione when he, Ron and Hermione are hiding there for a bit, they freak out and once Hermione finds Harry and calls out to Ron that she found him, he calls back "Tell him from me he's a git!"
- Hermione's reaction to the title "Babbitty Rabbitty" in the book. Likewise when Ron hears of Cinderella he asks "What's that? An illness?"
- When Hermione is trying to choose which books to bring on the camping trip, she chucks Defensive Magical Theory in the trash without a second thought.
- While the school is preparing for the final showdown against Voldemort, Filch comes barreling out of nowhere screaming, "Students out of bed! Students in the corridors!"
- To which McGonagall snaps: "They're supposed to be, you blithering idiot!"
- Filch's response to being asked to find Peeves (directly after his above mistake):
Filch: Peeves?McGonagall: Yes, Peeves, you fool! Haven't you been complaining about him for a quarter of a century?!
- Sir Cadogan shouting encouragement to Harry just before the final battle begins.
- After Dumbledore tells Snape that he wants Snape to kill him, Snape responds, in full Sarcasm Mode, "Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few minutes to compose an epitaph?"
- YOU! COMPLETE! ARSE! RONALD! WEASLEY!.
Hermione: "Maybe it's something you need to figure out for yourself..."Ron: "Yeah, that makes sense!"Hermione: "No it doesn't!"
- Actually, Hermione throughout that scene! "DON'T YOU TELL ME TO CALM DOWN! GIVE ME MY WAND!"
- And afterwards, Ron's sycophantic attempts to "get back in her good books," as Harry put it.
Hermione: I still haven't ruled it out.
- In the end, Harry says things went about as well as could be expected, and Ron agrees, remembering an event from the previous book (Hermione attacking him with birds). Hermione gets the last word.
- The Evil Lawyer Joke sequence.
- Rufus Scrimgeour: Are you planning to follow a career in Magical Law, Miss Granger?Hermione Granger: No, I'm not. I'm hoping to do some good in the world!
- Even more Hilarious in Hindsight when you find out where Hermione ends up working in the epilogue - As Deputy Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.
- And further still: she ends up Minister for Magic.
- When Ron complains that Hermione packed his old jeans and that they're too tight to fit his wand in, she suggests somewhere else he could stick it...
- Given her angry tone at the time, it's more likely she was thinking of something far less pleasant.
- Harry's annoyed, "Oy! There's a war going on here!" while Ron and Hermione are busy making out.
- Percy saying he's resigning, as he turns the Minister into a sea urchin. cue serious Mood Whiplash about three lines later.
- "You are so like Ron!"
- Ron to his daughter, Rose: Thank God you've inherited your mother's brains.
- Fleur's transparent attempt to break the tension between the newly-arrived Percy and the rest of the Weasleys by asking Lupin about how Teddy is doing. Lupin catches on and loudly announces that he's got pictures, desperately trying to shove them in everyone's faces.
- Kreacher: *after Harry stops him from knocking out Mundungus* One more for luck, Master Harry?
- Ron bursts out laughing after Kreacher says this.
- Later, the Trio immediately realizes who Mundungus is talking about when he mentions she "looked a bit like a toad."
- Peeves calling Voldemort 'Voldy'.
We did, we bashed em!Wee Potty's the one!Now Voldy's gone mouldy, so now let's have fun!
- Ron: "Really gives a feel for the scope and tragedy of the whole thing."
- The scene when they're about to leave the Dursleys' has some good ones.
Harry: If you think I'm going to let you risk your necks for me—Harry: You can't do it if I don't cooperate, you need me to give you some hair.George: Well, that's that plan scuppered. Obviously there's no chance at all of us getting a bit of your hair unless you cooperate.
- Ron's masterpiece of Understatement:
Ron: "I don't know how to break this to you, Hermione; but I think they might have noticed that we broke into Gringotts."
- One line that is normally a Crowning Moment of Awesome can become this if you imagine it right. "Our headmaster is taking a short break", said McGonagall, pointing to a Snape-shaped hole in the window.
- At Xenophilius Lovegood's home.
Xeno: "Everyone always requests our recipe for Freshwater Plimpy soup."Ron (under his breath): "Probably to show the Poisoning Department at St. Mungo's."
- Later during the visit, Harry notices strangely-colored smoke and smells the soup. He wonders if he'd be able to consume enough of it to spare Xenophilius's feelings.
- When reading the fairy tale that tells the origin of the Deathly Hallows.
Hermione: Death has an invisibility cloak?Ron: Yeah, well, sometimes Death gets tired of running after people, flapping his arms and shrieking...
- The gargoyles outside the staffroom get blasted to bits. Doesn't stop them from snarking as Harry rushes past, though.
Gargoyle: Oh, don't mind me... I'll just lie here and crumble....
- There's something darkly hilarious about Fred's death and George's disfigurement when you consider that way back when in the first book, he and George enchanted snowballs to bounce off the back of Quirrell's turban, AKA Voldemort's face. It seems Voldy got his revenge in the end.
- The kid who tells Voldemort "Nice costume, mister!" just before Voldy murders Harry's parents on Halloween.
- When Moody informs Harry of the "Seven Potters" plot:
Harry: No. Absolutely not!Hermione: Told you he'd take it well...
- "If you sneeze, the Ministry will know who wipes your nose." You almost get the feeling he wanted to reference a different bodily function...
- There is something utterly brilliant about James Phelps' delivery of the "wind up a screwy, specky git forever" line.
- When the group gets attacked while sitting at a pub, during the fight we look into the kitchen and see the attendent just standing there obliviously enjoying earpiece music while the whole area outside gets trashed
- Harry is searching Umbridge's office and finds a book titled "When Muggles Attack".
- Just before going in the elevator, Ron, in disguise receives some disturbing news. Apparently his wife is in court. He's actually quite worried about it. Until he's reminded...
Harry: Ron, you don't have a wife.Ron: Oh.
- Extra points: Hermione is in the elevator with them, and then later when she's forced to go with Umbridge, in that same court with his impersonatee's wife.
- Shortly afterwards, they discuss what happens if they can't find Umbridge, only for the elevator to open with her standing right there.
- Ron has been asked to fix an office's water rune, because it is raining inside the office constantly. When he meets Harry again, he is completely drenched.
- Later, a new addition that was not used in the book: Ron, as Reginald, tries to leave Mary Cattermole so he can regroup with Harry and Hermione. Before she lets him go, she forces a kiss onto him, unaware that he is in fact Ron. Ron's Polyjuice Potion chooses to wear off at this exact point, and at the same time the real Reginald finds Mary and Ron kissing. Ron then leaves the real Reginald and a very confused Mary to regroup with Harry and Hermione.
- Bonus points for the indignant look Hermione gives him when Mary starts kissing him.
- Any of the Polyjuice Potion sequences - Harry, Ron, and Hermione looking freaked out in the guise of Ministry employees (one of whom is the normally badass Runcorn) and then Hermione-as-Bellatrix, trying so hard to look dangerous.
Hermione!Bellatrix: [awkwardly] Good morning.Griphook: [under the Invisibility Cloak] "Good morning? Good morning??" You're supposed to be Bellatrix Lestrange, not a dewey-eyed schoolgirl!
- "Just keep telling her about that ball of light going into your chest, and she'll come 'round."
- After Ron returns to the others and Hermione is angrily stalking after him:
Hermione: Give me my wand, Harry!Harry, very blatantly pulling his sweater down to hide it as he stuffs it in his pants' waistband: What? I don't have it.
- Dobby dropping the chandelier on Bellatrix.
"Stupid elf, you could have killed me!"
- Voldemort's hammishly callous laughter during his Near Villain Victory.
- Voldemort hugging Malfoy, which is gaining Memetic status, known as the "awkward Voldemort hug". It's even better when you learn it was totally unscripted. When it was shown in theatres for the first time, it prompted a completely silent Flat "What." from most audiences.
- Voldy's half-second of visible anger management before he says, "Well, Neville, I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say."
- Harry tries out the wand Ron gave him:
Harry: (points at a candle) Engorgio. (candle turns into a geyser of fire, Harry points wand at candle, in panic:) Reducio! (candle goes back to normal)Hermione: What's going on in there?!Harry, Ron: Nothing!
- After casting Piertotum Locomotor:
McGonagall: I've always wanted to use that spell! *giggles like a schoolgirl*
- What really makes this moment is the "WTF?" look Molly gives McGonagall.
- Harry gets a moment of savvy.
"Hermione, when have any of our plans actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose!"
- Neville's reaction during the final battle when Scabior takes that first step across the barrier.
- The kiss between Harry and Ginny in Part 1, which was observed by George as he dances into the room with a toothbrush in the hole where his ear used to be. When the two break the kiss and look at him, he gives a sly grin and says "Mornin'."
- After getting blasted by Voldemort from the courtyard all the way back into the Great Hall, Neville comes to in the most serene and blissfully unaware way possible, while all hell's breaking loose around him.
- When the trio returns to Hogwarts, Harry and Ginny have a Held Gaze moment. While Ron grins and waves in the background, then complains to Hermione about being ignored.
Ron: Six months she hasn't seen me and it's like I'm Frankie-First Year. I'm only her brother.Seamus: She's got lots of those, though. There's only one Harry.Ron: Shut up, Seamus.
- Even funnier when you notice that when Ron waves at Ginny, the shot is focused such that Ron in blurred in the background while Harry is crystal clear.
- Ron running after Goyle after he tried to AK Hermione, yelling "THAT'S MY GIRLFRIEND YOU NUMPTY!" then a minute later he comes running back screaming "GOYLE SET THE BLOODY PLACE ON FIRE!!" grabbing Hermione and leaving Harry!
- Not to mention Hermione's expression during this. She has a moment of 'Hehe, I'm his girlfriend!' before shooting a 'Don't. Say. A. Word' look at Harry.
- Ron's Oh, Crap! face as he was running seals the deal.
- Harry has an important mission for the D.A.:
Harry: Okay, there's something we need to find, something hidden here in the castle, and it may help us defeat You-Know-Who.
Neville: Right, what is it?
Harry: We don't know.
Dean: Where is it?
Harry: We don't know that either. I realize that's not much to go on.
Seamus: That's nothing to go on.
- There is a moment when Hermione is cutting Harry's hair just as she realizes how to destroy the Horcruxes.
Hermione: Oh my god!Harry: What? (starts freaking out and feels the back of his head)
- The final payoff of the absolute best Running Gag ever with Seamus's "particular proclivity for pyrotechnics", a running gag that began from a one-off line in the first book and the films ran with.
- As the final Battle of Hogwarts begins, the Malfoys, who betrayed Voldemort to bring back Harry, decide this is an opportune time to calmly but briskly get the heck out of Dodge.
- Harry snarking at Voldemort while fighting him:
Harry: Hey, you were right (gets slapped by Voldemort) when you told Professor Snape that wand was failing you. It will always fail you.
- Fred's reaction to Mad-Eye Moody saying that Polyjuice Potion "tastes like goblin piss":
- Given that Moody doesn't say no, we have to wonder when and under what circumstances he has.
- Moody gives Death Glare to Fred as a response, which is still hilarious.
- McGonagall is discussing plans with Neville as they walk towards the school grounds.
- Seeing the various Polyjuice Potion users disguise themselves as Harry, mainly to see how Daniel Radcliffe emulates all of them.
- As soon as Fred and George transform, they look at each other and quip "We're identical!"
- Additionally, there's the facial reaction that Bill gives when Fleur tells him not to look at her because she's "hideous".
- There's something darkly amusing about one of the wanted posters for Harry seen in the film. (It was included as a prop with the book Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book.) It reads "Contact the Ministry of Magic immediately if you have any information concerning his whereabouts. Failure to report will result in imprisonment." In other words, the Ministry / Death Eaters are basically saying that if you so much as see Harry and don't say anything, they'll know and they'll find you and arrest you. Their magic may be powerful, but perhaps not that powerful.
- It's very Black Comedy but after Bogrod gets roasted alive by the dragon, Ron looks on with a look of dismayed surprise and can only manage to say:
Ron: That's unfortunate.
- It's pretty funny to see Filch's useless attempts to sweep the Great Hall after the Battle. It's like seeing someone put a band-aid on a broken leg. It's a little sad, but it's after everything has been resolved and you know he'll be fine.
- Daniel Radcliffe. In a bra. That is all.Explanation
- Made even funnier by the fact that in an interview, Domhnall Gleeson explaining that Daniel Radcliffe had trouble taking off the bra he was wearing, quickly adding that he was sure Dan knew how to take it off a woman. Seen here.
- The heavy Mood Whiplash after the confrontation with Snape. You have a dark moment where Voldemort coveys a message to the students that they must deliver Harry to him. After a tense moment where the students look at Harry (one even saying to grab him for Christ sake!), Filch runs into the damn room and screaming how the students are out of bed, all while McGonagall tells him off that they're supposed to be out of their rooms. Filch's reaction is priceless.
- McGonagall: They are supposed to be out of bed, you blithering idiot!Filch: ...Oh. Sorry ma'am.
- Makes it more funny since McGonagall rarely ever insults anyone.
- The way Voldemort shouts "AVADA KEDAVRA" at the beginning of part one. He sounds less like 'evil dark overlord' and more like 'evil Mr. Gumby'. "BASICALLY... I BELIEEEEEVE... IN BLOOD... PURITYYYY... AAAAAND... BASHING TWO BRICKS TOGETHUUUR! NAGINI? NAGINIIIII! NAGINIIIII!"
- When the Trio are interrogating Mundungus about what he did with the locket, Kreacher is getting into his face and poking him with his fingers.
- After Harry reveals himself to be alive and the Death Eaters attack, the great and mighty Lucuis Malfoy looks around confused as his wife grabs his son by the hand and promptly leaves. He has no options but to trail uselessly behind, accompanied by something of a Losing Horns.