Ummmm, this movie did also have Al Pacino
and Christopher Walken
in it, you know. Also, last we checked, Ben Affleck doesn't have blond highlights in his hair.
is a 2003 romance-comedy film directed by Martin Brest, and starring Jennifer Lopez
and Ben Affleck
It involves small-time mobster Larry Gigli (played by Affleck; pronounced "jeelyee") being commanded to kidnap Brian (Justin Bartha), the mentally-retarded, Baywatch
-obsessed brother of a district attorney trying to bring down a mob lord and hold him hostage. However, his boss doesn't think he'll be able to handle him by himself, so he has assassin Ricki (Lopez) join him. Gigli is attracted to Ricki, but she initially rebuffs him due to being a lesbian. Much of the remaining film time comprises the three hanging around Gigli's apartment, receiving threatening phone calls and break-ins from Gigli's boss and the police, and occasionally venturing to locales such as an outdoor diner and hospital, with strong emphasis placed on the romance between Ricki and Gigli and some rather strange lines.
Originally written strictly as a black comedy, it was rewritten to cash in on the Affleck/Lopez romance (then a major media craze) at the behest of executives
. As a result, the film was a major box office flop, and got abysmal rewards all around. It won several Razzies
and is commonly cited as one of the worst films ever made.
This film provides examples of:
- Bloody Hilarious: This loving close-up of the fish in the aquarium eating pieces of Louis' brain.
- Boom, Headshot: Al Pacino's scene has him doing this to a mob boss.
- Cluster F-Bomb
- Cure Your Gays: Ben Affleck is either a cure for lesbianism or an exception.
- Department of Redundancy Department: This movie's dialogue has an unfortunate tendency to repeat itself ad nauseum.
- Eye Scream: At one point, Ricki threatens to do this to some louts.
- Finger in the Mail: Louis orders Larry and Ricky to send the DA one of Brian's thumbs. However, they find themselves unable to go through with it, so they cut off a random corpse's thumb and send that in.
- Gayngster: Ricki; a female Gayngster, for a change.
- Hollywood Tourette's: Brian.
- If It's You, It's Okay: This might be the case with Larry and Ricki.
- Inspirationally Disadvantaged: Brian
- It Is Pronounced Tro-PAY: Gigli is supposed to be pronounced "zheely".
- Large Ham: Al Pacino
- Lipstick Lesbian: Ricki.
- Magic Bullets: Either this, or that was an extremely sturdy aquarium behind the bad guy when he gets shot.
- He IS a mob boss... All the glass in his house is probably bullet proof.
- Misplaced-Names Poster: Since when is Ben Affleck a girl or Jennifer Lopez a guy?
- Mood Whiplash: The film's tone changes numerous times at the drop of a hat, perhaps most noticably with a lighthearted scene with one of Ricki's ex-girlfriends...who slits her wrists in front of her and Larry after a couple minutes.
- Never Trust a Trailer
- No Bisexuals: Ricki is a "lesbian" who has been with men (and does not state it was unpleasant, or a mistake,) and falls for Ben Affleck.
- No Indoor Voice: Al Pacino's "acting" in his one scene is mostly made up of him yelling every few words.
- Poor Man's Porn: Brian ejaculates whenever he watches Baywatch
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: Robin.
- Psycho Lesbian: Ricki's ex-girlfriend Robin. She turns up at Gigli's door, demands Ricki take her back and when she refuses, she slits her wrists.
- Running Gag: They all think his name is pronounced "giggly".
- Soundtrack Dissonance: A lengthy reflection on human sexuality by Jenny in which she compares the penis to a sea slug and the vagina to a human mouth is accompanied by a soft, mellow, romantic guitar ballad.
- There's also Ricki giving a speech about killing off the hostage, while a lighthearted folk guitar plays in the background.
- Stalker with a Crush: Robin
- To the Pain: At one point, Ricki intimidates a bunch of hooligans by threatening to tear out their eyes in a way that causes brain damage.