Fanfic Recs: Red vs. Blue
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth being team-killed by Caboose for here. These are recommendations made by Tropers for Red vs. Blue fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Red Vs Blue Reaction by UknownHero
Authors and WebsitesRvB Fics.com Red vs. Blue Novelizations, by BentleyGirl
- Recommended by: Nightelf37
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: Basically, a novelization of the Red vs. Blue series. She has covered all eleven seasons and the extras so far and is very likely to do the others as they come.
- Red Vs Blue The Blood Gulch Chronicles: Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Out of Mind, Season 5.
- Red Vs Blue The Recollection: Recovery One, Season 6, Relocated, Season 7, Season 8.
- Red Vs Blue The Project Freelancer Saga: Season 9, Season 10.
- Red Vs Blue The Chorus Trilogy: Season 11, Season 12, Season 13.
Have Their Own PageNine Knackered Souls
- Synopsis: MLP:FiM and RVB crossover. Post RvB revelation. After a freak accident sends them to Equestria, the Red and Blue teams must join forces with Ponyville to find a way back home and defeat an old nemesis.
- Recommended by Nightelf37, coltrap and RLYoshi
- Synopsis: What happens when Sarge and Caboose finally get Church out of the Epsilon unit? Caboose decides he wants a turn in the Epsilon unit and inserts himself into the device. Much to Church's surprise, it works. What place does Caboose end up? Well, let's just say he always said he wanted a pony and now he has a whole world full of them...
- Note: The start of this is from the season finale of the ninth season of Red vs. Blue.
- Recommended by Nightelf37
- Synopsis: The Reds & Blues in one room? Fine. The Reds and Blues in one room with Wash, Tex and Carolina? Worse, but still fine. The Reds, Blues and the Freelancers stuck in a room with nothing to do but watch RWBY? Yeah, not so great. The fact that they're all from different time periods doesn't help…
- Tags: Rated M
General FicsRed Vs Blue Revenge of the robots by DuoJagan
- Recommended by Jarell88
- Synopsis: It's your favorite RvB characters, in a bit of a Star Wars parody. Red and Blue team just each got 500 marines. Think clone troopers. Hilarity ensues.
- Comments: Everyone stays in character, to the point that, if it were possible to film like this in game, this fic could be a valid script for one of the episodes. Set somewhere between episodes 70-72.
- Synopsis: A fanfiction following mostly Agent Maine(aka the Meta) and his AI Sigma during the slow breakdown of Project Freelancer.
- Comments: Great writing, lovable original Characters, admirable grasp on the existing Characters, drama, humor, tears, joy, suspension AND it is finished. Just cancel all your meetings and go on an Archive Binge.
- recomended by indexer
- one shots showing the perceptions different characters have of Washington
- notes:only through season ten, one scene is non cannon.
- Recommended by weisquared
- Synopsis: Sister has an existential crisis, parties with Donut, and fights some zombies. But everything doesn't necessarily happen in that order... or at all.
- Comments: This story gives a take on what happens to Sister during the Recollections arc. It's well written, firmly rooted in canon (well, canon filtered through Sister's brain) and does a great job capturing Sister's rather unique mental processes.
- Recommended by weisquared
- Synopsis: Locked in the Epsilon Unit, Church relives the slightly altered events of Blood Gulch while he waits for Tex to find him.
- Comments: This story covers what might have happened with Church after the Recollections arc. It does a good job capturing the almost wistful tone Recollections ended on and creating a story that sounds as if it would have fit as an episode in the arc. (Full disclosure: I requested this story during the Yuletide fic exchange. Also, it's not strictly gen, but the author classified it as gen, so I'm putting it in this section.)
- Recommended by Dolt Boy
- Synopsis: Imprisoned on Coruscant, Wash ruminates on how he got there.
- Comments: Star Wars crossover, in that it's that universe populated by RvB characters, mixing plot elements from both. It fits together astonishingly well. That said, it's very dark and serious in tone, so don't expect the jokey side of RvB when you read it. Brief, but it really sticks in the mind.
- Recommended by Deathchrist2000
- Synopsis: Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Comments: Sarge finds Griff/Sarge Fics. Need I say more?
- Recommended by omegaman
- Synopsis: A Red vs Blue miscellany filled with drabbles, prompt responses, and the occasional crossover. Wash/CT, Church/Tex, Sarge/Tex, York/Carolina, gen, etc..
- Comments: A wonderful collection of short stories. Highly recommended if you have some time to kill. skywalker05 really captures the Freelancers' characters so well. Actually, all of skywalker05's fics are good, and worth checking out.
- Recommended by Sparrows
- Synopsis: Remember that it was a time of war, that you were made for war, that you were made exceptionally well for war. But, if nothing else remember this: Maine is not your first code name. You should tell your story from the start — let's begin with the SPARTAN-II Program.
- Tags: If descriptions of violence or medical procedures disturb you, it may be a good idea to give this one a miss.
- Comments: As the summary suggests, this is Maine's backstory following the idea that prior to Project Freelancer, he was a SPARTAN. Written in second-person, Maine's thoughts and actions feel very true to what we saw of him in canon and both the combat and normal prose feel fluid and immersive. The linked work is merely part one of what is so far a three-part series; all chapters are of exceedingly good quality and there are constant references to Halo canon, though not to the point where someone unfamiliar with the details would be locked out of enjoying this fic. All-in-all, excellent so far and something worth keeping up with.
- Recommended by: JennPulse
- Pairings: Primarily Church/Tucker, Grif/Simmons and Doc/O'Malley, with glimpses of others such as Tex/Church and Sheila/Lopez.
- Synopsis: A prison AU featuring nearly all of the Red vs Blue cast members (And certainly the main ones). The interlacing story arcs and character relationships are enough to make one's head spin... in a good way.
- Tags: Warning for some very graphic, gory violence, implied non-con (explicit if you read one of the related one-shots) and occasional character death.
- Comments: This fanfiction acts more like a novelized television series; with great characterization acting in acts of drama, suspense, and usually humor. As of now, there are over a hundred installments along with a second series of character history and a series of one-shots. There are many pairings here, nearly all homosexual, but kept either brief or near invisible. Or at least placed in scenes that can be easily skipped. If you have a few hours, this troper recommends a healthy dose of an Archive Binge - if there is such a thing.
- Pairings: York/Delta with glimpses of Church/Tex and Wash/Epsilon
- Synopsis: An AU where the AI characters, instead of being computer programs, are human. This story follows York and Delta in a mystery-like plot, uncovering secrets about Project Freelancer.
- Comments: The main pairing in this work is homosexual. Sex is used as a plot point, but can be skipped while keeping the integrity of the story. Although this work is an AU, it seems that every effort has been put forth to reference or include as many canon events as possible. As an added bonus, the author has stated that the AU will be continued in future works, including Love and Logic.
- Recommended by Queen of France
- Pairings: Simmons/Grif
- Synopsis: A story about Simmons and Grif adjusting to their life as a cyborg and a meatpuzzle, respectively, and how their relationship has changed.
- Comments: A closer look at a throwaway joke that really should have been elaborated on, a fantastic grasp of the characters, and a really heartwarming, realistic relationship between the two.