Fan Fic / My Little Caboose Blue Is Magic
My Little Caboose: Blue is Magic!
"I'm not alright. I'm Caboose. Why does everyone keep calling me Alright?"
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Crossover Fan Fiction
with Red vs. Blue
. At the end of season nine of Red VS Blue
, after rescuing Church, Caboose inserts himself into the Epsilon unit, transporting him into Equestria and turning him into a pony. The other members of the red and blue teams follow through to rescue him, but when Caboose refuses to leave, they end up staying as well. However, not everything is as simple as it seems, as more and more familiar faces to the red and blue teams continue to pop up that may cause trouble in the lives of these ponies...
Has a sequel here.
Place all tropes that apply to it into its own page.
This Fan Fiction provides examples of the following tropes
- Achievements in Ignorance: How Caboose got to Equestria in the first place.
- Advice Backfire: Lampshaded in chapter 204, Rainbow Dash tries to get relationship advice... from O'Malley. Even he points out how dumb this is.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: How Delta gets his Cutie Mark. But would you really expect different from a character who is literally created from pure logic?
- Back from the Dead: Caboose, thanks to Necrominicon.
- Though Inclement Weather's reaction to finding this out may imply that he has seen this happen before.
- However, as an unforseen side-effect of bringing him back, the ritual also brought back Delta, Theta, Sigma, Tex, Omega, and Gamma, as well as Eta and Iota, but they don't show up for a while.
- Badass Boast: Caboose to Carolina, who is about to attack Pinkie Pie: "I will ravage your body and feast on your soul if you so much as lay a finger on my pie."
- Berserk Button: Caboose still hates babies and spikey cats. This helps when the group is fighting off a manticore. Note that he hates human babies. Infant ponies are safe.
- Now, add anypony who tries to hurt Pinkie Pie or Church. This would cost him his life.
- Oh, and don't insult Theta around Sigma.
- Beware the Nice Ones / Beware the Silly Ones: Damn near every character.
- Big Brother Instinct: Sigma has this for Theta.
- Big Damn Heroes: See I Am Spartacus below.
- Bittersweet Ending: Discord is defeated in the end...by Church trapping him inside his mind and letting himself be turned to stone. Sure, Equestria was saved, but now Church is gone.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Grif, in this fic, isn't just competent when not lazing around but also exceptionally kind, even going into the Everfree Forest to look for Fluttershy's lost bunny despite knowing how dangerous it is.
- Butt Monkey: Grif, perhaps even more so here than in the series, even when he's trying to be nice or didn't do anything at all. Examples include getting attacked by Timberwolves when he tried to save Angel, and having Tex beat him up for literally no reason other than that she was bored.
- Call Back: In an early chapter, Caboose draws a rather crude crayon sketch of himself and Church as ponies. Church finds the picture to be rather awful. Later, after Caboose dies, he's found mourning over his death and staring at the same picture.
- "Memory is the key."
- The joke from Red VS Blue where Grif brings up how Sister once fell through the ice is brought up again... and deconstructed somewhat, as we get to see a flashback of Grif witnessing the event, revealing it to apparently be rather traumatic for him, and serving as a Chekhov's Gun that pushes him to save Tex from a similar fate.
- Came from the Sky: Caboose, in the second chapter. Complete with Ground-Shattering Landing. And loss of consciousness.
- Character Development: The red and blue team members (sans Caboose) are all cynical and snide about the new world, but eventually grow to like it and its residents.
- Chekhov's Gun: Grif gets bitten by a Timberwolf and administered the cure somewhat too late, leaving him with some tree DNA that increases his speed, strength, and endurance. This helps protect him when Tex tries to beat him up, indirectly leading to her calming down.
- Also, remember back in Red VS Blue when Grif brought up how Sister once fell through thin ice and came up unharmed and pregnant? That gets brought up again and motivates Grif to save Tex from drowning.
- Chewing the Scenery: Omega does this, as is expected. Sarge has his moments as well.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Caboose. Sarge remembers this, and is very worried by him meeting the Cake twins. It turns out okay. It comes out later when they are stared down by a manticore. Still later, it is invoked by Twilight to protect Pinkie Pie. Tucker then believes that his whole life is a lie, until it is explained that O'Malley taught him rage.
- Cursed with Awesome: After suffering a Timberwolf bite, Grif's strength, speed, and endurance increases because of the tree DNA now in his system.
- Dark Is Not Evil: The Necronomicon, an evil-looking talking book that was locked away because it has the power to raise the dead. Turns out he's actually a fairly decent guy, if a bit of a smartass. It's just the ponies that used him before that were evil and caused him to be locked away.
- Think Andy (the Bomb), but muted a little (and not exploding).
- Deadpan Snarker: Church, Delta, Tex, and Applejack seem to be the primary examples.
- Although all of the Blood Gulch Crew and much of the rest of the cast all qualify at one point or another.
- Death Glare: Sarge when told he said something that Grif would have.
- The Drag-Along: Church, and to a lesser extent Twilight, during Pinkie, Caboose, and Derpy's quest for ingredients to create "muffcakes". He makes himself very vocal about disliking this, and eventually leaves after he gets eaten by a Hydra and blows it up from the inside using his magic.
- Establishing Character Moment: When Carolina first appears, she breaks off a unicorn's horn and goes on a rampage.
- Good Is Not Nice: The red and blue teams may be on the side of good, but the majority of them aren't exactly kind. Only Caboose and Simmons are actually nice most of the time. However, most of the Rooster Teeth-based cast do mellow out over the course of the story.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Church gets one after Caboose's death. As do the rest of the RVB group. But most of all, Pinkie Pie, whose hair straightens out.
- I Am Spartacus: A variation. When Princess Celestia states that it's time to send the red and blue teams back home since they have all obtained their cutie marks, Sigma arrives and states that, technically, Church has yet to receive his cutie mark, because all the fragments are parts of Church and not all of them have earned their marks. Cue every single fragment so far arriving and stating that they are part of Church, solidifying Sigma's claim and forcing Celestia to relent.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Church, Grif, and Tucker.
- Kick the Dog: Caboose's death at the hands of Carolina, after a string of them to other ponies. Returned in kind by Church.
- Kill the Cutie: Carolina kills Caboose during her rampage. He gets better.
- Ladykiller in Love: Tucker for Rainbow Dash. Though, they idea of a threesome still appeals to Tucker. Unfortunately, he wasn't there. He is disheartened by this. Luckily, it was a joke.
- Loophole Abuse: This is how Sigma - and all of the other fragments - prevent Celestia from sending the red and blue teams home yet. See I Am Spartacus above.
- Mood-Swinger: Caboose can go from cheerful to depressed in seconds.
- Not So Stoic: Church.
- Official Couple: Caboose and Pinkie Pie, as well as Tucker and Rainbow Dash. More are likely to come.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Overlapping with Dull Surprise. Caboose's response to falling out of the sky, making a crater, losing consciousness, and waking up is:
Caboose: My mouth tastes like high school.
???: What? Your face was bleeding everywhere. Some blood must have gotten in your mouth.
Caboose: Yep. Just like high school.
- The Power of Hate: Church manages to overpower Chrysalis's absorbed Power of Love with this.
- Put on a Bus: Carolina, after being taken away by Celestia, hasn't returned.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The way the Reds and Blues are paired up with the Mane Six makes this. In the following list, Red Oni is listed first and Blue Oni second:
- Twilight Sparkle and Church
- Sarge and Applejack
- Caboose and Pinkie Pienote
- Rarity and Simmons
- Rainbow Dash and Tucker
- Grif and Fluttershy
- Running Gag: If Caboose gets hurt and somepony asks him if he's alright, he always says "No I'm not, I'm Caboose." or something to that effect.
- The Necronomicon flirting with one of the Daring Do books in Twilight's library seems to be becoming this.
- The author seems to be trying to fit in the phrase, "That doesn't seem physically possible!" in every chance he gets. Not in relation to Jimmy, though.
- O'Malley seems to like knocking over chairs.
- Ship Tease: See Red Oni, Blue Oni above.
- Twilight is in love with Church, but he's still stuck on Tex. He does respect her as someone he trusts and as one of his first real friends, though. There's also some teasing between Fluttershy and Grif.
- Shout-Out: To the Meet the Medic Team Fortress 2 trailer
"Kill me" Garry begged.
"Later" O'Malley promised.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Tucker and Rainbow Dash.
- Unexplained Recovery: Played for Laughs by Tucker about Caboose's death and resurrection. Inclement doesn't buy it. Though his expression may imply that it has happened before.
- Took a Level in Kindness: The usually cynical Blood Gulch Crew become more pleasant in this world. Especially prevalent with Tex, except for when dealing with Grif. Towards the end of the story, they do start to get along better... somewhat.
- The kindness is relative, though, by which we mean "They're still jerks to one another, but not actively trying to kill each other."
- Most of the time, at least.
- Wham Line: Quoth Applejack: "She ain't never said anythin' 'bout us bein' able to trust th' Epsilon fragment."
- And then later: Tex, reading a letter: "It's from a guy named Discord."
- And then even later: Discord, referring to Tucker, Church, Sarge, Simmons, Grif, and Tex: "Give it up for the Elements of Chaos!"
- What the Hell, Hero?: Church really chews out Celestia after Caboose is murdered by Carolina and nearly gets killed for it. He's hated Celestia since then.
- Celestia TRIES to call him out over Twilight's unrequited love for Church and how it's hurting her, but it's not successful.
- Would Hit a Girl: Grif doesn't even hesitate to tackle Tex to the ground. Justified, as the reason he did that was because she attacked Fluttershy.