A My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfic by Ralph Hayes, Jr.
(writing as RealityCheck).
Equestria has a magic portal mirror housed in Canterlot that allows them access to many worlds, our own being one of them. But then, for once, something, or rather someone, comes through the portal.
This is a Brony in Equestria fanfic, the protagonist seemingly modeled after the author himself
: Arthur Arcturus, an overweight, unhealthy yet very shrewd, cunning and knowledgeable fellow, makes the best of being sucked into an alternate universe by a malfunctioning magic mirror into the world of one of his favorite TV shows.
The fic, while mainly a lighthearted comedy, also focuses on the implications of what a knowledgeable brony in Equestria would be like as well as the cause and effects of the similarities in pony-human societies.http://www.fimfiction.net/story/24890/the-audience
- Abusive Parents: Averted. Arthur heavily defends his parents. They were good people who taught him what he shouldn't do. Problem is, they didn't teach him what he SHOULD do.
- Accusation Fic: Chapter 10 sees the return of Trixie. While RC subscribes to the 'AJ, Rarity and Rainbow Dash are at fault' camp, Arthur also points out that Trixie's cutie mark symbolizing performing magic tricks in a world full of magic is the real cause behind Trixie being who she is.
- Action Survivor: Arthur, four-hundred pound everyman brony with a heart condition. Changes Equestria just by being there to help the people. Lays the smackdown on TWO draconequii.
- Author Filibuster: As usual, RC makes his political and cultural opinions known.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Twilight, as usual. Arthur as well, able to keep a clear head and help solve problems by drawing parallels between the pony world and ours.
- Badass Bookworm: Twilight, being the element of magic especially after ascension into alicornhood. Arthur as well.
- Berserk Button: Hurting children is one for Arthur, causing him to let loose some dirt on his mouth when it happens. Discord found out that talking about Arthur's past is another. In fact, it's discussed by Arthur WHILE it's being pressed.
"Lesson one, you pretentious jigsaw puzzle; you want to go around pushing other people's buttons, you'd better remember that some of those buttons go BOOM."
- The Bet: Arthur, Celestia and Luna bet plugged copper bits on whether certain things will happen with political issues. It all started when Arthur and Celestia were debating while they were eating, with Celestia disagreeing so much that she wouldn't even bet said bits. Luna, hungry and annoyed...
"In vexation Luna had pulled out a copper bit, magically drilled a hole through it, and slapped it down between us. "There!" she'd said. "Wager made! And I shall spot thee the plugged copper bit as well! Now stop arguing and pass the boysenberry sauce!
- Arthur won the first bet, by the way. This started the little game, and the record is now five wins for Arthur, three for Celestia and two for Luna.
- Big Brother Is Watching You: To cover for Arthur being knowledgeable about pony society, instead of saying "Somebody made a TV show of us!", Arthur and the rest of the bronies are declared watchers of the ponyverse from another world.
- Badass: As usual, the Mane Six, Celestia, Luna etc.
- Handicapped Badass: Arthur suffers from a heart condition and is rather overweight. Simply due to his knowledge of the myriad artifacts from his world, he's managed to advance Equestria in technology and thinking far more than it would have without him. And then he beats a Draconequs by stabbing its eye with his cane, and manages to unleash a very frightening beatdown on Discord.
- Born Lucky: Played with. Arthur comments that ever since he arrived in Equestria, things have gone far too well for him, especially in comparison to his previous life.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Arthur. Nice, friendly, loves kids. But he has issues. Do not discuss them, lest you want to find a four-hundred pound raging fat man screaming bloody murder for you.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Mostly lighthearted. Chapter 19, here comes a new draconequs... And then we learn a bastard tournament with TWELVE of them is coming. Still manages to be light and soft though.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Discord makes the bad mistake of pushing Arthur's Berserk Button. With Arthur in a dream, the now no longer weak old man unleashes all of his rage without any limits, all the while screaming profanities unhindered.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Violette towards Arthur, after their first date is interrupted... Badly. Arthur's head justifies it for him:
Another girl just flashed her ta-tas towards her man on her first date with the guy. She would have been offended if she was going out with a teddy bear!
- Deconstruction Fic: The original point of the fic: Showing exactly how many points of the show, the fandom and many other things would really work. The plot came later.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Taken to a literal extreme. Celestia has established a government department with the sole purpose of keeping bureaucrats occupied and away from anything important...
"You mean these poor bastards spend most of their working lives filling out each other's forms? Dear Lord, you've invented tax collector's Hell."
- Eldritch Abomination: The Draconequii are indeed beings in between universes, with a twelve-draco themed chaos tournament held whenever they find a universe to settle down. This happened when Discord first came in, and now we know that the next tournament is coming.
- Footnote Fever: Just like his other pony fics, you better make sure to remember each and every number... Or use Control+F.
- Friend to All Children: Arthur has a special affinity for the foals of Equestria, and in turn they are very taken by him. He even manages to calm down a screaming fracture patient RIGHT AFTER SUFFERING A HEART ATTACK.
- Genius Ditz: Snails is a mathematical savant who can count in base four and figure phi to the fifteenth decimal. Still able to get his head caught in an exhibit at the museum.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: A very unique example. Arthur, being the logical man he is, manifests his moral metaphors as an in-between of an angel and demon. Of course, it's as much of a philosophical debater as he is.
- I Choose to Stay: Arthur decides that he has no choice (and to be frank, doesn't need one) but to stay in Equestria because of the potential damage he might cause to both himself and his family if he returns home after being given the chance in an early chapter. Not that anypony has a problem with that.
- Interspecies Romance: Jut like so many other things, deconstructed, and yet here it's also reconstructed. Biological and psychological inhibitions really prevent Arthur from being really attracted to Violette, and really, human-on-pony is weird. It's not just a "minor thing". But companionship, somebody to listen to? Who cares about species when the loneliness hurts? Rather ironically, Ship Tease pops up showing that he really might be attracted to her.
- Man Child: Arthur calls himself this when he feels like he's done something childish. He had good parents who told him what not to do, but not what to actually do, so he was helpless throughout his life. Arthur even becomes a Psychopathic Manchild when his Berserk Button is pressed.
- Oh Crap! There Are Fanfics of Us...: The reaction of the initial group of ponies who find out about the show in chapter one... And then chapter 30, discussing clopfics, comes to light. May all those who read look at Author Filibuster.
- Refuge in Audacity: According to Equestrian laws, Arthur is a Draconequus with a Hydra milking farm in Foggy Bottom Bog. Becomes true.
- Self Insert: Subverted. Arthur was merely just something of a shell for the author to put himself in at first, but then we gain some more insight into his past and why he acts the way he does.
- Unlucky Everydude: Arthur's life BEFORE he came to Equestria. That's why he's suspicious of his good luck in Equestria.
- Wild Mass Guessing: Arthur does this with Celestia as he tells her about brony fandom theories about Equestria. His own is that it's an advanced theme park simulation abandoned by its old owners and inhabited by its caretakers (the ponies). Celestia responds that considering the mysterious nature of Equestria, the fandom's thousand little thoughts might actually be right, one way or another.