Fan Fic / Forfeit
Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy Dark Fic
by Scary Spikender. Link here.
Official Synopsis: "Four years later, and the Eds are still tortured and beaten on a daily basis. This time, however, they will finally try to find solutions to their problems, which grow worse by the day."
Grudges, lust, simplemindedness, obsession, hatred— they're all present, and they're certainly not
handled in the lighthearted manner favored by a children's cartoon: Jonny really is disturbed; Sarah nurses a genuine ire toward her brother; Eddy is every bit as selfish and lustful as one would expect of a real-life counterpart. The Kankers are genuinely sociopathic;
many of their scenes border on Nightmare Fuel
. Most importantly, though, all these characters' flaws have very real, plot-relevant consequences.
Apparently the Big Picture Show
never happened, because this is a story about the kids' festering hatred of the Eds and their efforts at getting revenge. At the same time, it is a story of the Eds' efforts to gain the acceptance of their hostile peers. Oh, and the Kankers manage to worm their way in and really
escalate the drama.
The story is told from the point of view of every character, though a majority focuses on Double-D and Eddy.
- Anti-Hero: Eddy
- Ax-Crazy: The Kankers.
- Big "NO!": Double-D, when Marie tries to grab his genitals.
- Bittersweet Ending: Though it borders into Downer Ending territory. In short, Double-D kills the Kankers, they realize that when it comes to friends in the Cul-De-Sac, they only have themselves, they get arrested, Eddy takes all the blame and gets the death penalty, but Double-D ends up getting convicted along with him and has his life ruined because of it. But on the other hand, Rolf and Nazz end up Happily Married, Johnny is much more stable, and Ed, who was acquitted, is seen slowly building a relationship with Sarah.
- Black and Grey Morality: When comparing The Kankers to everyone else.
- Character Development: Eddy, big time.
- Chekhov's Gun: Subverted with Eddy's knife.
- The Chessmaster: Lee Kanker.
- Darker and Edgier
- Deconstruction Fic: It basically takes a look at what would realistically happen if the events of The Movie never happened, namely (most of) the kids' festering hatred towards The Eds growing more and more to the point where they're more vicious and sociopathic, The Eds are more distrustful of everyone around them, even themselves and The Kankers fall into genuine Ax-Crazy territory at times.
- Double Standard: Rape, Female on Male: Brutally averted with Eddy and the Kankers.
- Dramatic Irony
- The Dreaded: The Kankers.
- Dysfunction Junction: To say that most of the characters have severe mental and/or emotional problems would be an understatement.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Kevin, toward the Kankers.
- Failure Is the Only Option
- From Bad to Worse
- Gray and Gray Morality: The Eds and everyone else that aren't The Kankers.
- Had to Come to Prison to Be a Crook: Somewhat subverted: while Eddy does take all of the blame, the court still ruled that Double-D was involved in the deaths of the Kanker sisters; the best they get him charged on is fourth degree murder, which lands Double-D in jail for only eighteen months. Coming out of jail, he's not exactly a criminal but a shell of his former self; Double-D will never become successful since no college or career is willing to accept him for being involved in that trial. Even Ed states that Double-D's pretty scarred from the incident.
- However, there's a chance with good behavior, he'll be out in half...
- Happily Married: Rolf and Nazz in the end.
- Heroic BSOD: Eddy, after he realizes how badly he has betrayed his friends by having sex with the Kankers.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Eddy takes the heat for everything at the end, getting sentenced to death via lethal injection.
- Humans Are Bastards
- Idiot Ball: Deconstructed
- Jerkass: Pretty much everyone except Ed and Double-D, although most of these are at least somewhat justified.
- Jerkass Ball: Deconstructed.
- Kick the Dog: The Kankers do it at least once per chapter.
- My God, What Have I Done?; Eddy, right after he has sex with the Kankers.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Note that everything is far from being the Eds' fault, but they do unwittingly escalate things.
- Oh Crap!: When the Eds wake up in the Kankers' trailer.
- Rape as Drama
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When Eddy discovers what the kids did to Ed and Double-D, he attacks Kevin and Jimmy, almost attacks Sarah, then goes to save the duo from the Kankers.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: If it wasn't for the ending, this would be one of the most nihilistic fan fictions ever written.
- Teens Are Monsters: If you didn't think that the kids acted like jerks at first in the original series, maybe seeing how they're incredibly cruel as teens should do the trick. They all range from petty to borderline-psychopathic.
- Too Dumb to Live: Subverted - During the trial, Ed was deemed too mentally incompetent to have been aware of the events that happened during chapter seventeen; as a result, it's thanks to Ed's stupidity that he's let go without any punishment, although Eddy taking all the blame helped quite a bit too.
- Would Hit a Girl: Double-D of all people, when Marie tries to grab his genitals.