Ed, Edd n Eddy Dark Fic
by Scary Spikender. Link here.
Official Synopsis: "Four years later, and the Eds are still tortured and beaten on a daily basis. This time, however, they will finally try to find solutions to their problems, which grow worse by the day."
Good fanfics remain faithful to the moods and themes of the parent franchise. Great
fanfics expand, extrapolate, and deconstruct
said themes and that is exactly what Scary Spikender does in his magnum opus, "Forfeit." Grudges, lust, simplemindedness, obsession, hatred— they're all present, and they're certainly not
handled in the lighthearted manner favored by a children's cartoon: Jonny really is disturbed; Sarah nurses a genuine ire toward her brother; Eddy is every bit as selfish and lustful as one would expect of a real-life counterpart. The Kankers are genuinely sociopathic;
many of their scenes border on Nightmare Fuel
. Most importantly, though, all these characters' flaws have very real, plot-relevant consequences.
Apparently the Big Picture Show
never happened, because this is a story about the kids' festering hatred of the Eds and their efforts at getting revenge. At the same time, it is a story of the Eds' efforts to gain the acceptance of their hostile peers. Oh, and the Kankers manage to worm their way in and really
escalate the drama.
The story is told from the point of view of every character, though a majority focuses on Double-D and Eddy.
Sure the writing is a bit awkward in places and there are some grammatical errors, but those complaints are so minor that they barely warrant any mention.
- Anti-Hero: Eddy
- Big "NO!": Double-D, when Marie tries to grab his genitals.
- Character Development: Eddy, big time.
- Chekhov's Gun: Subverted with Eddy's knife.
- The Chessmaster: Lee Kanker.
- Darker and Edgier
- Deconstruction Fic
- Downer Ending
- Dramatic Irony
- Even Evil Has Standards: Kevin, toward the Kankers.
- From Bad to Worse
- Had to Come to Prison to Be a Crook: Somewhat subverted: while Eddy does take all of the blame, the court still ruled that Double-D was involved in the deaths of the Kanker sisters; the best they get him charged on is fourth degree murder, which lands Double-D in jail for only eighteen months. Coming out of jail, he's not exactly a criminal but a shell of his former self; Double-D will never become successful since no college or career is willing to accept him for being involved in that trial. Even Ed states that Double-D's pretty scarred from the incident.
- However, there's a chance with good behavior, he'll be out in half...
- Heroic BSOD: Eddy, after he realizes how badly he has betrayed his friends by having sex with the Kankers.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Eddy takes the heat for everything at the end, getting sentenced to death via lethal injection.
- Idiot Ball: Deconstructed
- Jerkass: Pretty much everyone except Ed and Double-D, although most of these are at least somewhat justified.
- Jerkass Ball: Deconstructed.
- Kick the Dog: The Kankers do it at least once per chapter.
- My God, What Have I Done?; Eddy, right after he has sex with the Kankers.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Note that everything is far from being the Eds' fault, but they do unwittingly escalate things.
- Oh Crap: When the Eds wake up in the Kankers' trailer.
- Rape as Drama
- Teens Are Monsters: If you didn't think that the kids acted like jerks at first in the original series, maybe seeing how they're incredibly cruel as teens should do the trick.
- Too Dumb to Live: Subverted - During the trial, Ed was deemed too mentally incompetent to have been aware of the events that happened during chapter seventeen; as a result, it's thanks to Ed's stupidity that he's let go without any punishment, although Eddy taking all the blame helped quite a bit too.
- Would Hit a Girl: Double-D of all people, when Marie tries to grab his genitals.