Fan Fic / Hope Springs Eternal
A "Disney's Hercules" fan-sequel in which Hades' kingdom is in danger, an immortal witch wants control, the Fates predict a miracle & Hades falls flaming-head-over-smoking-heels in love. The usual stuff of myth.
A brilliant take on the classic myth of Hades and Persephone by the very talented Quantum Witch. Persephone is chafing under her mother's control
, evil no longer excites Hades
, and Cupid's got it in his head to set these two up
. Throw in some bumbling minions
, a witch queen
determined to get revenge on Hades, and Hades' dead first wife
and you've got one hell
of a tale
The story has also been illustrated by the author herself
This fanfic includes examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Apollo for Persephone.
- Adult Fear: Persephone's also an adult and she kind of brought it on herself but Demeter is terrified when her daughter disappears. Hecate does not help.
- Affectionate Nickname: Demeter calls her daughter Kore, and Persephone's nymph friends call her Melanthe meaning "dark flower".
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: One of the things that draws Persephone to Hades is how "dangerous" he is.
- Anachronism Stew
- Babies Ever After: The end of the story has a reveal that Persephone is pregnant.
- Technically not yet. They've just been told it's possible to conceive, which wasn't possible originally.
- Badass Boast:
- "If the fates want us to stay together, it will happen. They've taken it this far, and I swear I'll kick their *sses if this is the end."
- Batman Gambit: Hecate's plan after Hades falls for Persephone is to convince the other gods that he kidnapped and raped her, so they'll be so angry they'll kill Hades, thus allowing her to take up his position.
- Hades later pulls one of his own in the climax... realizing his influence over fire, he allows Hecate's demon-hounds to rip him apart and eat him, so he can regenerate first into fire and then to his normal form, thus killing them.
- Beast and Beauty: Beautiful Persephone and Hades, who is a bit scary-looking, though she's very attracted to him. Also their personalities- Hades is gruff, brooding, sarcastic, and has a bad temper. Persephone is very sweet, kind, and gentle.
- Big Damn Heroes: Twice.
- Hades does this for Persephone when she's about to drink a potion that will make her mortal and free her from her mother's and the other gods' influences.
- Rhea, mother of the six main gods, does this a chapter later, convincing Zeus and the others to let Hades and Persephone be happy and to reveal they're related more than they thought.
- Big "NO!": Hades lets out an epic one when he comes to stop Persephone from drinking the aforementioned potion.
- Body Language: Rhodope, Persephone's water-nymph best friend, can only communicate with squeaks and squeals, but Persephone can understand her by reading her body language, facial expressions, and tone of voice.
- Brain Bleach: Hermes needs some after walking (flying?) in on Hades and Persephone being intimate.
- Character Witness: Rhodope for Hades and Persephone and then Hermes as well as a result of seeing it with his own eyes... unfortunately for him.
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl
- The Chessmaster: Hades has still got it, but so does Hecate.
- Clasp Your Hands If You Deceive: Subverted in that when Hades finally steeples his fingers, he's doing this before his revelation that he and Persephone are legally married, not because he's lying.
- Cruel Mercy: Hades and Persephone decide not to kill Hecate, but instead take away her immortality, demon-servants and most of her magic. They then send her away, telling her she can redeem herself to get it back if she wants to.
- Cruel to Be Kind: After being expelled from Kronus' stomach, Hades, Poseidon and Zeus all drew lots to see who'd rule what. Hades points out that originally he'd look a lot more like his brothers and that his time in Kronus had changed his appearance. Persephone posits that Hades ended up absorbing whatever it was that allowed Kronus to control the Underworld while in his belly which meant he would HAVE to rule whether he wanted to or notů and Zeus realized this and so had Rhea make lots so he would at least FEEL as if he had some choice in the matter.
- Styx is such a Shipper on Deck for Hades/Persephone that she went on strike to ensure they got together.note
- Cute Ghost Girl: Leuke returns in chapter 12 to counsel Hades.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Zigzagged. Hades isn't evil and the Underworld is not necessarily a horrible place (or it wouldn't be if he wasn't neglecting his duties), but creepy-looking Hecate and her Hellhounds are.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Even when Persephone is fully clothed, this happens to Hades.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He's not evil anymore, but Hades says that even when he was, he would never have forced himself on anyone. (It's why he never tried anything with Megara, and part of why he's horrified to hear that the gods think he raped Persephone.)
- Everybody Hates Hades: Invoked and gradually inverted; the whole fic is about turning Hades from his demonized Disney self to his more sympathetic classic self.
- Played straight with Hecate, although this was intentional on the author's part due to the original story lacking a major antagonist (not to mention the fact that Hecate was a villain in the TV series too).
- Explicit Content: Though the sex-scenes aren't written horribly explicitly, they're actually quite tasteful.
- Fertile Feet: Persephone, notably when in the Elysian Fields.
- Freudian Excuse: considering the especially horrible childhood Hades had, it's not surprise he turned out the way he is.
- Genre Savvy
- Green Thumb: Persephone most notably, but of course so is Demeter.
- Happily Married: Hades and Persephone, but for longer than they thought...
- Hellhound: Hecate's demon-dogs, Mayhem and Havoc.
- Heroes Want Redheads
- Anti-Heroic BSOD: Hades goes through a few, most comically when he realizes Persephone is his neice.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs/Oh My Gods!
- I Can't Believe A Goddess Like You Would Notice Me Technically, Hades notices her first, but this is basically his reaction after Persephone notices him.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Hecate makes everyone think Hades did this towards Persephone, as part of her Batman Gambit.
- Ingenue: Persephone is actually called this directly in song, though she matures through the story.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Persephone has very beautiful ones.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Leuke is overjoyed that Persephone is pursing Hades and shoots down every argument he has for the contrary. When he brings up age, she reminds him that while her tree had been around for awhile, her active consciousness wasn't.
- Incest Is Relative: It's Greek mythology.
- Jailbait: Hades is very attracted to 15-year-old Persephone, but holds off till she's willing and of age.
- Love at First Sight
- Love Makes You Evil: Humans chopped down his nymph wife's tree, thus killing her. After a horrible childhood and loneliness in his young adult age this makes him totally snap.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Persephone's love and innocence changes brooding Hades for the better.
- Manipulative Bastard: The Fates changed one word in their prophecy about Hercules. Instead of If Hercules fights, it should have been WHEN. The entire point was the get Hades to turn him mortal, so he'd grow to adulthood in 18 years instead of...however long it takes for baby gods to grow into adults and be ready to fight Hades on the fated day.
- May-December Romance: Hades is physically and mentally 50, Persephone is just shy of 16. (But it's okay, because the gods made the age of consent 14.)
- Ms. Exposition: Oh, Leuke, who, for whatever reason, crawls into Hades' lap to exposit her little heart out.
- Musical Fic
- My Beloved Smother: Demeter to Persephone.
- Oh Crap!: Several—notably when Hades finds out Zeus knows he arranged Hercules's kidnapping, and Hecate upon being stripped of her magic and immortality.
- Pet the Dog: Hades tends to do this in the story.
- Power Glows: It is notable that unlike the other Gods, Hades doesn't glow. This is because when he was younger and exploring the Underworld, he'd come across Kokytus, a waterfall in his domain. Being curious and being King, he tasted the water. His heavenly glow has been gone ever since. And when his wife died, Hades tried to drown himself in that same waterfall. He eventually gets it back thanks to Persephone.
- Precision F-Strike/Cluster F-Bomb: Hades.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "I...am...a GODDESS!"
- Second Love: Persephone was the second girl Hades fell in love with. The first was a tree-nymph named Leuke, who was killed when her tree was knocked down during a storm, then chopped into pieces.
- Sex Equals Love
- Shown Their Work: The author spent years doing research on Greek mythos (and more!) to prepare for this story. She does admit to changing a few details for creativity's sake, though.
- Shipper on Deck: Cupid, Erebos, Nyx, the Fates, Pain, Aiakos, Rhadamanthys Charon, Styx and Leuke all ship Hades/Persephone.
- Soul Power: As the God of Death and thus Souls, Hades actually has this power. Indeed, his attachment to Leuke and her attachment to him gives the dryad a soul.
- Squick: In-universe, the gods' reaction (but mostly Hera's) upon discovering they're all related. Averted by Hestia, who knew all along.
- Those Two Guys: Pain and Panic naturally, also Aiakos and Rhadamanthys.
- Time Skip: The final chapter.
- Vain Sorceress: Hecate
- Values Dissonance: In-universe example; both the fact that Hades has fallen for his neice and their significant age-gap are brushed off by Persephone and Leuke, who say that they're gods, not mortals, therefore the same rules don't apply.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Hades is more creepy-looking than ugly, but Persephone is clearly the more beautiful one.
- The Vamp: Hecate attempts to seduce Hades in her introduction chapter. It fails spectacularly.
- Villain Song: Hecate has one in her Establishing Character Moment. Of course, this being a fanfic, we can only read the lyrics.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Pain and Panic, natch.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Persephone tells Hades this over and thankfully he eventually believes her.