Fan Fic: The Last Ringbearer
A Lord of the Rings fanfic offering an examination of the War of the Ring from Mordor's point of view, based on the assumption that Tolkien's account was propaganda written by Gondor. Originally written in Russian, it has been translated and sold in many languages, although the Tolkien estate has prevented the work from being commercially sold in English. As such, the English translation can be downloaded for free here. Needs Wiki Magic.
This work provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Éowyn.
- All Trolls Are Different/Our Orcs Are Different: The Orocuen and Trolls are more akin to different ethnicities than different races.
- Black and Nerdy: Halladin, though his looks are closer to europeoid race, than to negroid.
- City of Spies: Umbar.
- Demonization: Of Elves, Valars and magic in general.
- The Dung Ages: Gondor and Rohan, espicially if compared to enlightened Mordor.
- Evil Prince: Eloar, who enjoys massacring civilains, including women and children for no reason.
- Fantastic Racism: Elves think of humans like about animals, and value their human allies not more than domestic animnals.
- Happiness in Slavery: Sharya-Rana says that many humans will find elves' dominance quiet comfortable and pleasant.
- Henpecked Husband: Aragorn is treated by his wife as mere puppet. He isn't.
- Magic Is Evil
- Magic Versus Technology
- Necessarily Evil: How Haladdin views himself.
- Our Elves Are Better: Inverted. Elves are smug, racist, genocidial and arrogant.
- Perspective Flip: The fic is LotR through the eyes of the orcs.
- Romanticism Versus Enlightenment: The narrative is very pro-Enlightenment, in direct contrast with the original book which was actually balanced and held both mindsets have good and bad sides.
- Scary Black Man: The Haradrim.
- Science Is Bad: Inverted.
- Screw You, Elves!
- Shining City: Barad-Dur.
- The Atoner: Tangorn, even though all he did wrong was write a report that was misused by others. Eventually gets Redemption Equals Death, but never knows he'd been redeemed. It's that kind of story.
- The Magic Goes Away
- The Republic: Mordor.
- And eventually Gondor.
- Written by the Winners: The entire premise.
- Invoked in a mean-spirited example by Aragorn, who challenges a Mordorian general to an honourable duel, only to have him shot in the back, quipping "the history books will say you got shot by a midget and a broad".