A Sailor Moon
fanfic based on an occasionally played with but rarely explored idea: What if the senshi woke up in a different order than cannon? The differences this causes are small at first, but grow larger. For instance, the senshi start learning martial arts much earlier on when they meet an unawakened Sailor Uranus who later wakes up
. This plays around with group dynamics and competency levels, exploring the characters in interesting ways.
Sailor Moon still wakes up second, but in the first chapter there's already a clue to the major changes in the works: instead of Sailor V running around England, it's Sailor M. Things get further messed up when the first General that Usagi and the others face is not Jadeite, but Zoicite.
It includes the author's own spin on the nature of senshi magic and transformations, tying in the mask that Usagi had in the beginning of the manga, the disguise field, and the nature of Sailor V (or in this case, Sailor M) compared to their genuine senshi form. Go ahead and give it a try: A New Order
This story provides examples of:
- Action Girl
- Affably Evil: Apparently Nephrite, though we haven't seen enough to be sure.
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: Inverted. If the Dark Kingdom knew how weak and uninformed the senshi really were, the war would be over in days.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Haruka refers to fighting three youma simultaneously as a warm up.
- Ascended Extra: In the anime Jadeite has a subordinate, Thetis, who specializes in water and shows the most hints of humanity (crushing on Jadeite) out of the series, but still gets killed off in one episode. Here, Thetis is upgraded into Tethys a member of one of the second generation of Shadow Warriors, making her one of the ten strongest youma to ever have existed. When she fights against the senshi, Tethys quickly pushes the team further than they ever had been pushed before (Moon and Mercury pass out immediately after the battle ends) and had the senshi been seconds slower or less well prepared, they would have died two or three times. But she still gets killed in the end.
- Author Appeal: More like unappeal. Uranus is his least favorite senshi, which is why she gets worfed early on. Playing it straight, Mercury is his favorite, which is why she wakes up after Moon.
- Badass Normal: Deconstructed with Naru. When it was only her and Usagi she helped out against the youma, but mostly as a distraction. With more senshi awake, she mostly stays on the side lines as support, to keep from getting hurt, but is still a member of the team
- There's Foreshadowing that she will end up being Sailor M's successor.
- Berserk Button
- Zoicite: hurting his good looks, especially his face.
- Usagi: hurting the innocent
- Ami: she tends to be annoyed by her lack of attack spells.
- Big Damn Heroes: Ami shows up to save Usagi and Mamoru from Tethys's water attack with an ice shield.
- Blood Magic: Usagi can only cast her spell Mirror Light Escalation if she is injured and bleeding
- Body Horror: In what may be a homage to another popular fanfic, Shadow Warrior Bokushiís awakening makes it sounds as though it grew inside and burst out of its hostís skin.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Helios does this when conversing with Queen Serenity.
- Breather Episode: Invoked. The first episode without any youma attacks is named Just Breathe, the Bus is Here.
- By the Power of Grayskull!
- Calling Your Attacks
- Combination Attack: Like in the anime, the senshi can combine their spells into even stronger attacks.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Averted. The senshi easily gang up on and kill one youma, so the Dark Kingdom starts throwing to or three at a time at them, which makes battles longer and harder.
- Crash into Hello: Usagi and Mamoru, but also Usagi and Ami. Usagi is late for class and runs her over when rounding a corner.
- Daylight Horror: Almost all of the youma attacks have occurred in broad daylight.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Had Mercury not figured out how to kill her at the last second, Shadow Warrior Tethys may well have killed the senshi by sinking the cruise ship.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Haruka, due to the nature of the story.
- Also, in one chapter, Haruka and Naru are arguing over whose musical tastes are superior. Their respective choices: classical genius Michiru Kaioh and pop star Minako Aino respectively.
- Eldritch Abomination: Metaria, obviously, but also Helios! The last we see of him, his flesh is melting and a horn is growing out of his forehead.
- Elite Army: Zoicite's remaining youma after he specifically empowers them to kill the senshi in his last attempt.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Haruka.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Zoicite gets reduced to a blackened, charred skeleton. (This may be a Mythology Gag, as this is what happened to Jadeite in the manga.)
- Genre Savvy: Usagi tries to be this after discovering TV tropes, but it doesn't always work.
- Hammer Space: Subspace pockets that the senshi can create with a little help.
- Heel-Face Turn: One of the most powerful youma DEFECTS after Zoicite treats it like badly.
- In the Name of the Moon
- Invisible Parents: Averted with Ami and Usagi: we meet both their families and they appear in several scenes. Played straight with Naru and Haruka.
- Knight of Cerebus: The author attempted to invoke it with Nephrite. His first appearance awakening a Shadow Warrior has him accompanied by a wolf-like youma named Kerberos. This is because the author thought it read cerberus syndrome (as in the three-headed dog).
- Late for School
- No Periods, Period: In the first chapter Ms. Haruna asks if Usagiís cycle is affecting her schoolwork. It may be hinted at in chapter 17 when Usagi goes through a number of mood swings during a fight.
- Odango Hair
- Oh Crap: Multiple times throughout the story by multiple people. The most interesting, however, might be Beryl, when she learns that a Shadow warrior has defected.
- One True Sequence: Averted and played with. Thus far the Dark Kingdom and the Senshi have been chasing and getting closer to different Rainbow Crystals, but when they find and try to remove a crystal, it takes so much power and energy that the others can show up to interfere. This is completely averted when Nephrite secretly removes the Indigo Rainbow Crystal while Jadeite creates a distraction.
- Panty Shot: Averted. Usagi's response to Ami's worries to to flip up her skirt, check, and announce that it's a bodysuit, not her panties. She compares it to a leotard or swimsuit.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Played with. Without the magical mask the senshi are easily recognizable (as seen when Naru recognizes Usagi as sailor Moon), but with the mask on they are completely unrecognizable, even if you are looking straight at them and have suspicions already. When Haruka awakens as Sailor Uranus Usagi doesnít see her until after she puts the mask on, and even though she had already suspected Haruka was a senshi and was looking straight at her, she didnít realize it was her.
- Also, Usagi sees through most of Zoiciteís disguises easily.
- Reality Ensues: The government gets involved and begins cooperating with the senshi.
- Reincarnation Romance
- Running Gag: Sailor Mercury has three spells, none of which are offensive. One creates mist, one freezes things, and one makes a shield. If she wants to kill a youma on her own, she has to freeze it and beat it to death bare-handed. Her lack of offensive ability repeatedly annoys her.
- Schedule Slip: The author began by averting this, loyally updating every Saturday, but as of June it is on hiatus until July.
- Secret Keeper: Naru and Rei's Grandfather
- Secret Secret Keeper: the principal's secretary is implied to have figured out that Ami is Mercury.
- Shout-Out: A number of them
- Sonic Scream: Usagi uses it against the first youma she fights, same as in manga canon, and keeps using it throughout all her other battles.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Played straight, reconstructed, and averted. Some speeches go off without a hitch, some are interrupted, and some are specifically to distract from the real plan.
- In one event, Sailor Moon pulls this on a youma right after it pulls this on Tuxedo Kamen.
- Teen Genius: Ami, of course. Mamoru is implied to be a slightly lesser one, having skipped a grade.
- Thanks for the Mammary: How Usagi discovers that Haruka is a girl.
- Tokyo Is the Center of the Universe: Played with. After their operation in England was busted, the Dark Kingdom only had the manpower to focus on one area. They chose Tokyo because it was prophecied that the Silver Crystal would show up there. They would move elsewhere if they thought it would be worthwhile.
- Took a Level in Badass: The overall strength of youma took a level when Zoicite empowered his remaining forces so they could better kill sailor Moon. It was the first time any youma couldn't be killed with a single tiara, and there were several of them.
- Tuxedo Kamen's flowers are used to new and deadly effect on the cruise ship. Possibly doubles as a Moment of Awesome.
- Transformation Is a Free Action: Averted. The senshi all transform well before any battle begins precisely because it isnít.
- Unspoken Plan Guarantee: Played with when Usagi decided to [[tell Hino-sensei her secret]] during the buss plot.
- Wave Motion Gun: Usagi's spell Mirror Light Escalation, which is powerful enough to almost kill Zoicite!
- Wham Episode:
- Chapter 12. A Shadow Warrior defects and Zoicite dies.
- And 17. Nephrite uses Jadeite's ship plan as a distraction to obtain another Rainbow Crystal and the Shadow Warrior doesn't get purified.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Haruka
- Worf Effect: Haruka, as Sailor Uranus, is several years older than the other senshi and a trained fighter, as well as an outer senshi. By all rights, she should be the most powerful fighter on the team. her first battle after transforming has her almost killed and hospitalized.