"I think that logo probably cost more than my entire movie"Describe Robert Rodriguez here
Easy. He's that hard-edged filmmaker who directed the El Mariachi
trilogy, From Dusk Till Dawn
, Sin City
and half of Grindhouse
No, wait! He's that family-friendly guy who gave us the Spy Kids
tetralogy, The Adventures Of Shark Boy And Lava Girl
, and Shorts
Whoever he is, he does most of the work on his films, directing, screenwriting, editing, composing, production designing and just about everything else aside from being the actual cameraman. No, wait, he does that too. He's also very proud to be Mexican
, as most of his movies can attest.
His diaries from the shooting of El Mariachi
were published as Rebel Without A Crew
, a book which is absolute required reading for all aspiring indie/low budget filmmakers.
He and fellow director Quentin Tarantino
have worked together on a couple of each other's projects, their biggest collaboration being Grindhouse
See also Hybride Technologies
, the VFX firm that Rodriguez works with in most of his films.
Robert Rodriguez provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Himself. Taken Up to Eleven with his children.
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: Rodriguez suffers from this from time to time. After Sin City came out, he began talking about a pair of sequels filmed back-to-back with new original material written by Frank Miller. After Miller failed to produce (mostly due to his new love of film directing) the sequels hit a major snag and even Mickey Rourke publicly announced he wasn't waiting up. Then, after Grindhouse was released Rodriguez was not only attached to Sin City 2/3 but a Machete feature film (which happened years later) and a remake of Barbarella. The Sin City sequel only came out of Development Hell in 2012. Nobody believes any news regarding future Rodriguez projects until the cameras start rolling.
- Cool Hat: See above, he seems to always be seen wearing that hat (or a similar one).
- Doing It for the Art: Rodriguez left the Director's Guild of America so that Frank Miller could work and be credited as the co-director of Sin City. It is against the Guilds policy for non-members to be credited as co-directors, and Rodriguez decided to leave rather than compromise his principles.
- Dashing Hispanic: Take any Mexican-themed Rodriguez film and you'll find plenty of really badass macho men.
- Directing Against Type: When Spy Kids first came out, his name on the posters provoked numerous DoubleTakes. By now, his family-friendly films may represent an alternative type.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Quentin Tarantino.
- Production Posse: There is a set of actors that Rodriguez is using in nearly every film he made. Most prominent examples are Danny Trejo, Cheech Marin and Tom Savini.
- Real-Life Relative: Danny Trejo is actually his second cousin. They didn't realize this until Desperado had already wrapped.
- Rule Of Cool
- Shout Out: The names of three of his children are revealed to be part of Juni Cortez's full name in Spy Kids 2.
- So My Kids Can Watch: Why he directed Spy Kids and all that lot.
- South of the Border: Loves having fun with Mexican stereotypes.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"? / Theme Naming: His children are called Rocket, Racer, Rebel, Rogue, and Rhiannon.
- World of Badass: Again, there is hardly a character in his action movies who isn't badass in some form.