P.T Anderson will not take your shit.
Paul Thomas Anderson (more commonly known as P.T. Anderson), is an American filmmaker who has written and directed six films, including Boogie Nights
, Punch Drunk Love
and There Will Be Blood
Anderson has been said to belong to the "VCR Generation" of filmmakers, grouped with directors such as Quentin Tarantino
, Richard Linklater
and Kevin Smith
, and described as filmmakers whose careers were founded not upon film school training, but from an enthusiastic love of movies.
If Robert Altman
and Martin Scorsese
had made sweet, passionate love
and Stanley Kubrick
was the godfather, P.T. Anderson would have been the fruit of their priapic loins
Awful mental pictures aside, his real father was comedian and voiceover artist Ernie Anderson, aka Ghoulardi
. His partner is Maya Rudolph
, and they have four children together.
Also known for working with composers named after some variation of "Jon".
Not to be confused with Paul W.S. Anderson
, although both have gone by merely Paul Anderson before, or with science fiction author Po
Him and His movies provide examples of:
- Angrish: Characters often get so flustered that they resort to inarticulate yelling.
- Auteur License: Gained one after Boogie Nights and kept it ever since.
- Black Comedy: We're talking no-light-escaping, blacker-than-death comedy.
- Church of Happyology: His continually delayed film The Master sounds suspiciously like a Happyology concept: A "charismatic intellectual" starts a religion in the 1950s.
- Creator Provincialism: Tends to set his movies in his childhood home of the San Fernando Valley.
- Dysfunction Junction: The majority of his characters aren't exactly emotionally stable.
- Epic Tracking Shot
- The Film of the Book
- Humans Are Bastards
- Mood Whiplash: P.T. Anderson is fond of what he describes as "Gearshift Movies". Similarly his films usually contain breakneck tonal shifts. The ending of There Will Be Blood is a notable example.
- No Ending / Gainax Ending: All his films from Magnolia onwards have had one or both endings.
- Old Shame: In the commentary for it, he regards his first movie, Hard Eight with a mixture of dread and contempt, calling it by it's original title, ''Sydney'' and talking about the Executive Meddling it faced.
- Pop-Star Composer: Aimee Mann, Jon Brion and Jonny Greenwood have provided scores for his films.
- Production Posse: Usual suspects include Philip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, John C Reilly, Luis Guzman, and Philip Baker Hall. Hoffman has been in every P.T.A. movie except There Will Be Blood. Robert Elswit whas been the cinematographer for all of them except The Master.
- Scenery Porn: Especially There Will Be Blood and The Master. There's a reason that the former won Best Cinematography.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: On the cynical side from the word "go".
- Smash to Black
- Soundtrack Dissonance: A perfect example would be near the end of There Will Be Blood in which, after Daniel kills Eli and announces that he's "finished". What plays right before we get to the credits? This.
- Throw It In