is a Canadian TV and movie actor who started off in the soaps
. Since then, he's moved on to a number of famous roles, including (but not limited to):
- Malcolm Reynolds, captain of the Firefly-class vessel Serenity.
- Gunnery Sergeant Edward Buck, one of the main ODSTs in Bungie's Halo 3 ODST. He was with two other Firefly mains, Adam Baldwin and Alan Tudyk. Some joke that he's basically playing Mal with a new name, due to similar personalities, and since they went Ink Suit Actor on him, identical faces and hairstyles, as well as voice.
- Richard Castle, novelist-turned police consultant in the self-titled series Castle.
- Captain Hammer, Dr. Horrible's nemesis.
- Caleb in Season 7 Buffy, evil guy with Catholic priest theme, dragon to the season's Big Bad and the complete opposite of his usual on-screen persona.
- Alex Tully in Drive, another cancelled-after-4-episodes series from Tim Minear.
- Bill Pardy, town sheriff from Slither.
- Steve Trevor, the male romantic lead in the Wonder Woman animated film.
- Dr. Pomatter in the independent comedy Waitress.
- Constable Dogberry in Joss Whedon's production of William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing (set to premiere in June 2013).
The first of those roles earned him most of his recognition, despite the short run of the series. Numerous bit parts include cameos as Buck in Halo Reach
, a Sgt. Reynolds
in Halo 3
, James Frederick
Ryan in Saving Private Ryan
, and Kate's ex-husband in LOST
. Before that, BioWare
had him voicing Gao The Lesser in Jade Empire
. He also voiced Vigilante in Justice League Unlimited
He also has a Twitter account
and is very good at making Memetic Mutation Catch Phrases
such as "Bam, said the lady" and "Feed the birds." Both have had cameos on his hit show Castle
(as well as "Double Rainbow", a meme that he didn't
A few of his characters can be morally questionable or bordering jerkass
territory, but he's a really nice guy in person
. And quite a comedian
Speaking of Firefly
, he said in a recent interview
that if he had $300 million, he'd buy the rights to Firefly'' and make it his own. This being the internet, a brief but passionate movement sprang up to help him do such a thing, but it fell apart due to a lack of official support from Fillion himself and/or Joss Whedon.
Bizarrely, he has been mistaken
for Jason Bateman
several times by both normal people and celebrities alike to the point where it is a Real Life Running Gag
. But of course, Nathan takes no offense to it and continues documenting the instances where it happens because he's just that awesome. It might help that on one of those occasions it got him out of a speeding ticket
He was also used as Hal Jordan
in a fan trailer for the proposed Green Lantern
film, which he thought was awesome. However, he wasn't actually cast in Green Lantern
, but he was
cast as Green Lantern in the 2011 direct-to-DVD DCAU Green Lantern Emerald Knights
. He reprised the role in Justice League: Doom
Similarly, he was in talks to play Captain America
, but the role went to Chris Evans
. However, he did end up playing a superhero (well, a satirical one anyway) known as The Holy Avenger in Slither
director James Gunn's second film Super
He's also begun a Viral Marketing
campaign to get himself the role of Nathan Drake
. Comment here and help him out!
Oh, and he really is ruggedly handsome
Oh, and he kicked Justin Bieber's
ass in Halo Reach
. According to him it "felt good
." Also, there are two exceptions to the statement "Only Bungie
employees have flaming heads in Halo 3
." Those two are a contest winner and Nathan Fillion.
He has dated Tricia Helfer (Number Six in Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined)
) in the past, and called it the best date he had ever had when questioned on it by a fan.
He's also One of Us
. Con-goers pass around a story where a few friends sat down for some Firefly pen-and-paper action. Nathan approached the table and purportedly requested to play as... River. His interactions with fans extend online as well, as evidenced in the following: In early August of 2012, he conducted a question-and-answer session on Reddit
. Here's proof for the skeptics
that it is/was really him.