Nathan Fillion is a Canadian TV and movie actor who started off in the soaps
. Since then, he's moved on to a number of famous roles. A few of his characters can be morally questionable or bordering jerkass
territory, but he's a really nice guy in person
. And quite a comedian
.His roles include:
The first of those roles earned him most of his recognition, despite the short run of the series. Numerous bit parts include cameos as Buck in Halo: Reach
, a Sgt. Reynolds
in Halo 3
, James Frederick
Ryan in Saving Private Ryan
, and Kate's ex-husband in LOST
. Before that, BioWare
had him voicing Gao The Lesser in Jade Empire
. He also voiced Vigilante in Justice League Unlimited
He was also used as Hal Jordan
in a fan trailer for the proposed Green Lantern
film, which he thought was awesome. He wasn't actually cast in Green Lantern
, but he was
cast as Hal in the 2011 direct-to-DVD DCAU Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
. He reprised the role in Justice League: Doom
and Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
. Similarly, he was in talks to play Captain America
, but the role went to Chris Evans
. However, he did end up playing a superhero (well, a satirical one anyway) known as The Holy Avenger in Slither
director James Gunn's second film Super
. He's also begun a Viral Marketing
campaign to get himself the role of Nathan Drake
. Comment here and help him out!
, he said in a interview
that if he had $300 million, he'd buy the rights to Firefly
and make it his own. This being the internet, a brief but passionate movement sprang up to help him do such a thing, but it fell apart due to a lack of official support from Fillion himself and/or Joss Whedon
He has a Twitter account
and is very good at making Memetic Mutation Catch Phrases
such as "Bam, said the lady" and "Feed the birds." Both have had cameos on his hit show Castle
(as well as "Double Rainbow", a meme that he didn't
He's also One of Us
. Con-goers pass around a story where a few friends sat down for some Firefly
pen-and-paper action. Nathan approached the table and purportedly requested to play as... River. His interactions with fans extend online as well, as evidenced in the following: In early August of 2012, he conducted a question-and-answer session on Reddit
. Here's proof for the skeptics
that it is/was really him. Some other geek facts:
- He kicked Justin Bieber's ass in Halo: Reach. According to him it "felt good". Also, there are two exceptions to the statement "Only Bungie employees have flaming heads in Halo 3." Those two are a contest winner and Nathan Fillion.
- He has dated Tricia Helfer (Number Six in Battlestar Galactica (Reimagined)) in the past, and called it the best date he had ever had when questioned on it by a fan.
Bizarrely, he has been mistaken
for Jason Bateman
several times by both normal people and celebrities alike to the point where it is a Real Life Running Gag
. But of course, Nathan takes no offense to it and continues documenting the instances where it happens because he's just that awesome. It might help that on one of those occasions it got him out of a speeding ticket
Oh, and he really is ruggedly handsome
Tropes Associated with Mr. Fillion:
- Large Ham: At times, though it comes with being Fun Personified.
- Old Shame: Averted, to the point of reprising the role of Joey Buchanan on OLTL in 2007, having nice things to say about his Soap Opera days and unashamedly tells funny stories about "three faces of acting" as well as how useful a school it was.
- One of Us: He's an avid gamer (see him here at GenCon SoCal◊)and into lots of out-of-mainstream stuff. And he's sorry too that Firefly was cancelled so soon and fondly remembers it as the best acting job he ever had.
- Recognition Failure: Nathan and Wil Wheaton told attendees at Ottawa ComicCon 2013 how they had been to a local restaurant the previous evening when a enthusiastic fan approached their table for a photograph with Wheaton and, not having any idea who Fillion was, asked him to take the photo.
- Star-Making Role: Captain Malcolm Reynolds of Firefly in sci-fi circles, but Richard Castle of Castle made him known to the mainstream audience.