open/close all folders
Played By: Cillian MurphyA bicycle courier who lived in Deptford, London with his parents. While running a delivery to an address somewhere across the city, a car cut across Jim's bike and caused him to crash, putting him into a coma. 28 days later, Jim woke up and the entire city was empty due to an outbreak of the Rage Virus.
- Action Survivor: It takes him a little while to get up to speed, but after a few days he's wielding a baseball bat like a champ. A few days after that, he's taking out a squad of soldiers.
- Adrenaline Makeover: Coupled with Important Haircut. Getting rid of his coma-hair shows he's kicking it up a notch.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's sweet. And then some people decide to repopulate the earth using his friends.
- Butt Monkey: Even in this world, Jim has a tough time of it.
- Deadpan Snarker: Jim can be quite snarky."Oh, great. Valium. Not only will we be able to go to sleep, if we get attacked in the middle of the night, we won't even care.""World's worst place to get a flat, huh?""No, no. No, see, this is a really shit idea. You know why? Because it's really obviously a shit idea."
- Eye Scream: How he kills Cpl. Mitchell.
- The Load: At first. He gets better.
- Naked on Arrival: How he wakes up from his coma.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: His callow and careless actions directly result in Mark's death.
- Not So Different: He shows himself to be capable of the same brutality as the Infected.
- Only One Name: His surname is never revealed.
- Took a Level in Badass: Over the course of the film, he goes from a confused courier to an Infected-killing badass who runs circles around a group of soldiers.
Played By: Naomie HarrisA young woman who lived in London. During the outbreak of the Rage Virus, Selena's family was killed and she hid in a barricaded shop in the London Underground with another survivor named Mark. Selena adopted a more serious attitude towards the current situation and believed "staying alive's as good as it gets". She is a qualified pharmacist and obviously has a measure of medical training.
- Action Survivor: She's a chemist (pharmacist for Americans), and she's survived the apocalypse for a month.
- Badass Longcoat: She meets Jim wearing a gas mask and a really awesome coat.
- Big Sister Instinct: After Frank dies, she tells Jim that she doesn't want Hannah to cope, she wants her to be safe and well. Later, when she realizes that she can't fight the soldiers off, she settles for drugging Hannah so she won't be so traumatized.
- Broken Bird: She's lived in hell while Jim slept through it. She is not a happy camper.
- Brutal Honesty: She tells Jim in no uncertain terms that she will not hesitate to kill him or leave him behind if need be.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She slowly warms up to Jim, then even more with Hannah and Frank.
- Jerkass Has a Point: You don't survive in this apocalyptic world by being soft.
- Her unhesitating dispatch of Mark when he gets infected comes of as really cold-blooded, but she is right when she says he was fucked and they both knew it.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She was a nice and normal woman before the outbreak, and is only as hard as she is because of the situation. Her kinder side shows itself as time goes on.
- The Medic: Her job before the outbreak, which comes in handy in the new, post-outbreak world.
Played By: Megan BurnsThe daughter of Frank. When the virus broke out, she and her father barricaded themselves into their apartment. When they ran out of water they were forced to find another place with Jim and Selena.
- Action Survivor: She's definitely not a trained fighter, but she manages to be resourceful enough to survive to the end.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Averted, thankfully.
- Car Fu: How she takes out West and some other soldiers.
- Creepy Monotone: While out of her mind on Valium.
- Missing Mom: Nothing is said about her mother.
Played By: Brendan GleesonA cabdriver in London who lived with his wife and daughter Hannah in an apartment block near the center of the city. When the Rage Virus broke out, his wife was killed, but Frank was able to barricade the apartment complex and use salvaged police equipment to fight the Infected.
- Driver of a Black Cab: Averted and parodied in a deleted scene.
- The Heart: Manages to still hold onto some form of decency in the face of the world hitting rock-bottom.
- Nice Guy: Happily takes in Jim and Selena, and is generally a jovial fellow in spite of all of the horrible things happening around him.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: He's both. He's a total badass who can take charge, but he's a loving father, knows his wine, and appreciates the beauty that's still in the world.
- Stepford Smiler: A fairly unique example. For the sake of his beloved daughter, he puts on a happy, cheerful face while keeping his own optimism alive. When speaking privately to Jim, he expresses more uncertainty. He also has a short-lived blow-up when the soldiers don't appear to be at the blockade. However, he quickly gets over this due to his sudden unfair infection and apologizes to Hannah for shouting around her.
Played By: Noah HuntleyA young man who lived in London with his parents and sister. During the outbreak of the Rage Virus, Mark survived and hid in a barricaded shop in the London Underground with Selena.
"OK, Jim. I've got some bad news."
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He’s snarky and callous, but he has a wonderfully touching monologue about his family during the infection."My...parents and my sister, we went to Paddington Station, hoping maybe we could get on a plane, maybe we could buy our way onto a plane. I remember my dad had all this cash, even though cash was completely useless. About 20,000 other people had the same idea. Crowd was surging. I lost my grip on my sister's hand. I remember the ground was soft. I looked down and I was standing on all these people. Like a carpet. People who had fallen and...somewhere in the crowd there were Infected. It spread fast. No one could run. All you could do was climb. Climb over more people. So I did that. I climbed. And I got up on top of this kiosk. Looking down, you couldn't tell which faces were infected and which weren't. Then I saw my dad. Not my mum or my sister. My dad. His face...Selena's right. You should be grateful."
- We Hardly Knew Ye: When Selena sees the bite on his arm, she immediately kills him.
- Zombie Infectee: Got bitten by an infected person.
Major Henry West
Played By: Christopher EcclestonA veteran in the British Army. During the original outbreak of Rage, West and his brigade of 800 soldiers are tasked to protect Manchester and keep the Infected out by manning the M602 Blockade, which becomes the only entrance into Manchester. After the death or infection of nearly all in his command and the fall of Manchester to the Infected, West is driven insane by what he has seen.
"This is what I've seen in the four weeks since infection: people killing people."
- Affably Evil: West comes across as very genial, reasonable and well-composed. Ultimately, however, this turns out to not be the case.
- A Father to His Men: A dark deconstruction, it's implied this trait is what drove him to insanity and, eventually, villainy.
- An Officer and a Gentleman: Part of the image he projects.
- Asshole Victim: Ultimately, it's hard to pity him when Hannah gets Mailer to tear him apart.
- Big Bad: The main human villain.
- Dissonant Serenity: The first hint there is something seriously wrong with him. He delivers the news to Jim that he plans to allow his men to rape Selena and Hannah with the same emotional gravitas as somebody ordering Chinese takeout, and he is shown to casually sip tea above the steps of his mansion headquarters in between bouts of slaughtering infected.
- A Father to His Men: West is extremely protective of his 'boys'.
- Fallen Hero: It's implied losing his entire command sans the handful of soldiers that we meet has driven him to madness. Before that, he was presumably a distinguished military officer.
- Karmic Death: Hannah, who he planned to give to his troops to rape, delivers him into the loving hug of Mailer, the Infected soldier he'd been starving to death.
- Madden Into Misanthropy: The apocalypse has not had a good effect on his sanity or his views on people.
- Manipulative Bastard: He's less infantile than most of the men under his command are and knows how to turn the charm on. He might even seem normal. He's not.
- Papa Wolf: Brutal he may be, but he genuinely does care for the soldiers under his command. When Jim kills them, he takes the gloves off.
- Sanity Slippage: The apocalypse has not had a good effect on his sanity in general. He slips even worse when Jim kills several of his soldiers.
Played By: Stuart McQuarrieA veteran soldier of the British Army and serves as Major Henry West's second-in-command.
- Defector from Decadence: Farrell is disgusted by how far the other soldiers have slipped into savagery and draws the line at their plans to rape Hannah and Sarah.
- Defiant to the End: Tells Mitchell to basically go fuck himself, and distracts him and Jones from Jim escaping.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Pulls one to give Jim a chance to escape.
- Ironic Name: Farrell sounds a lot like feral. He's the only soldier that isn't a savage.
- Only Sane Man: Quite literally, given West had gone insane and the other soldiers are petulant manchildren.
- Sacrificial Lion: To show the kind of people the other soldiers really are. Though, considering he saves Jim, who later saves Selena and Hannah and considering what Jim does to the rest of the soldiers while he's at it, he does manage to go out with much more dignity than his 'comrades' and his heroism will likely be vindicated by Jim, Selena, and Hannah when they are all finally rescued.
- Token Good Teammate: He's the only soldier with a definite moral compass.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Calls out Jones for allowing Mitchell to kill him cruelly and painfully rather than just shooting him. Jones at least as the decency to agree and shoot him before Mitchell has his chance.
Played By: Ricci HarnettA vulgar, cocky, and insensitive soldier under Major Henry West's command. He is sarcastic and cruel to virtually everyone he meets, seeming to have a particularly bitter rivalry with one of his two remaining superiors, Sergeant Farrell.
- Eye Scream: Jim kills him by gouging out his eyes.
- Hate Sink: To the point watching Jim crush his eyes into the back of his head with his thumbs until Mitchell's head violently explodes (in, keep in mind, what has to be one of the most luridly graphic movie deaths of all time) is nothing sort of cathartic.
- Jerkass: Aggressive, violent, bullying and smug.
- Sadist: Gets off on hurting others, he even wants to bayonet Farrell to death when he's charged with executing him and Jim just because they hate each other.
- Smug Snake: He's not a tenth as great or clever as he thinks he is, and oozes self-satisfaction in the most grating way possible.
- Sociopathic Soldier: Mitchell is a sadistic piece of walking shit who wears a big grin when he's getting ready to do something horrible.
Played By: Leo BillA young, inexperienced soldier. He serves as the cook for the group.
West: Jones, our resident tin opener.
- Butt Monkey: He's delegated to Team Chef duties despite having no talent, bullied and taunted by his supposed comrades, and ultimately meets a horrible death.
- Dirty Coward: He's a bit of a pussy and easily pushed around by the other, more aggressive soldiers.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Is horrified that Mitchell wants to make Farrell's death slow and excruciating, and wants to simply shoot him instead.Mitchell: "Why?"Jones: "Because it's quicker!"
- Lethal Chef: Jones is no kind of chef, preparing an omelette with eggs that have long gone bad but figuring that if he used enough salt it would hide the flavor.West: Jones, did you notice while cooking that these eggs were off?Jones: I thought the salt might cover the taste, sir.
- Nervous Wreck: He seems to be constantly on the verge of a breakdown.
- Pet the Dog: Shoots Farrell dead before Mitchell can torture him.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Wears a pink apron while cooking... and fighting infected.
- Shrinking Violet: Jones is easily bullied, timid and shy.
- Team Chef: But not a particularly good one.
- Tears of Fear: While hiding from the Infected, he's blubbering and hiding in utter terror.