open/close all folders
The Main Characters
Vanilla R. Beans
I'm Vanilla. Nice to meet you.
The player character. An amnesiac boy who wakes up on Seagull Beach with no memory of where he is or even who he is. He meets up with Coriander (Connie for short.) and together they travel around in a Trotmobile they found at the beach while he tries to uncover his identity.
- Adventurer Archaeologist: Oh yeah. Within the first hour of gameplay Vanilla can start digging up and transporting fossils with his steam powered mech. A little later on he can even visit ruins swarming with bandits to search for treasure and ancient artifacts.
- All Men Are Perverts: Its possible to ignore this trope completely or play it disturbingly straight. To name just a few examples: Vanilla can spy on Connie when she is relaxing in a hot springs, go for a private swim with Savory (who wears a pretty revealing bikini) in an oasis, and can invite his lady friends back to his place for a "Hot chocolate" minigame.
- Anti-Hero: Its entirely possible to play him as one. Given that he was friends with Mallow and willing to sneak onto the Juniper Berry it is hinted he may not have always been the nice cheerful guy many players know him as.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Early in the game he can buy a fancy suit from a shop and wear it for the rest of the game.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: You certainly have the option to play him as this. For example:
"I saw a blue thing... up on that cliff... kissing the boulder!"
"Yes, I have no bananas!"
- Covert Pervert: You also have the option to play him as this. In fact, if you follow a certain questline just right you can have him peep on Connie while she's bathing with you in a hotsprings by having him peek though a hole in the wall.
- Dirty Coward: During an early encounter the player can choose to hand Connie over to a bandit, all the while snivling and begging for the bandit not to hurt him. The bandit attacks you anyway, and you have to defeat him to rescue her. Connie is, of course, not very impressed with this course of action:
"Oh my god! What a wuss!"
- Easy Amnesia: Wakes up on Seagull beach with no idea who he is. Later, the player gets to decide who he is through dialogue.
- Funny Afro: Can get one of these at the barber shop along with a few other more normal hair styles.
- Large Ham: Gets several chances to do this. Is a simple hello or handshake not enough of a greeting for you? Why not take a bow, give a salute, or favour an older lady with a tender kiss on the hand?
- Multiple Choice Past: So, was he a rich kid from a wealthy family? The son of a coal miner? A playboy who gets all the ladies? Its up to you to decide! And it affects nothing!
- Only in It for the Money: If the player has him extort cash from everyone he meets. The game even lets him charge Connie (forcing her to write him an IOU as she had already given him all the money she had on her earlier) for beating the Big Bad at the end of the game!
- Teen Genius: For an amnesiac kid who wakes up on a beach after a shipwreck he does pretty well for himself. He can drive a giant fighting machine, manage stocks, dabble in fossil and artifact collecting, play any type of musical device he comes across, including an electric guitar.
- Villain Protagonist: At first all you can do is be rude and spiteful, but by the end of the game you have the option of becoming this.
Voiced by: Wendee Lee (singing voice: Nadia Gifford)
My name's Coriander, but you can call me Connie. Everyone else does.
A young girl who is the lead singer of the Garland Globetrotters, a popular band that plays all over the country. For most of the game she is Vanilla's traveling companion, who tries to help him recover his lost memory while they go on adventures.
- Disappeared Dad: Her mother doesn't get a terrible amount of screen time due to being sick, but she still plays a decent role in the story. Connie's dad, however, isn't even mentioned in game.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Unless Vanilla gives her bad ingredients she can make a pretty good meal, but you'll need to show her a book if you want anything deep-fried.
- Idol Singer: She does the lead vocals for the Garland Globetrotters. Despite the fact that many of the songs she sings sound upbeat and happy many actually have fairly depressing lyrics (see below).
- Lyrical Dissonance: Every song she sings after the first one sounds just as upbeat and cheerful... then you listen a bit closer to the actual lyrics..
- Nice Hat: You can give her one of these as a gift and she'll wear it during one of the possible endings.
- Pink Means Feminine: Her normal outfit is almost all pink and later in the game she'll wear an expensive pink dress and pink lipstick if the player buys it for her.
- Stepford Smiler: Is very happy and sunny on the surface, but hasn't quite gotten over Chickory's death yet.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Donuts and honey. Giving her either of these items as gifts while on a date will give you a lot of hearts.
- What Does She See in Him?: She'll stick with Vanilla for the whole game no matter how much he mistreats and abuses her at every turn. Even if he joins the Bloody Mantis she'll try to talk him out of it and quickly forgives him upon returning to the side of good. The game hints that the reason she instantly likes Vanilla upon meeting him and is so forgiving of his actions is because he looks just like her dead friend Chicory.
Wanna join the band?
The drummer and saxophonist for the Globetrotters. He is very kind and gentle and helps out at his parents' store when he's not touring with the band.
- All Drummers Are Animals: Inverted as much as humanly possible. He is actually probably the calmest and most sensible member of the band.
- Big Eater: He can even be heard talking about food in his sleep.
- Nice Guy: One of the friendliest and most caring members of the band, he even helps out his parents when not working with the band.
- Non-Action Guy: While he works hard for the group he serves mainly as a support role. He'll give Vanilla plenty of fuel if he needs it, but leaves defeating the games first boss to him while staying out of the way.
- Team Mom: Handles most of the bands paperwork and books gigs for them to play at. He also drives a support type trotmobile rather than a combat one that can carry extra gas for his friends in case they ever run out.
The sexy back up vocalist who is immensely popular with the bands male fans. Is secretly working for the Bloody Mantis under Dandelion's leadership.
A short guy who plays bass string for the Globetrotters and has a massive crush on Savory. (Which she and everyone else is heavily implied to know about.)
- Butt Monkey: He means well, but often comes off as immature and says things when he should know better.
- Heroic BSOD: Goes through one of these if you get the good ending because Savory ends up dying.
- Nice Hat
- Older than They Look: Basil is really short and a bit immature, so the player could be forgiven for mistaking him for a young child at first. While its implied that he actually is the youngest of the group he is still old enough to accompany the band when they go on tours and is able to pilot his own trotmobile along with playing his own instrument.
- The Short Guy with Glasses: Yep, that's Basil.
Voiced by: Kirk Thornton (singing voice: Ryan Kerwin)
I'll change the way people look at music.
The cool guitarist of the group. He leaves the Globetrotters fairly early in the story to pursue his own musical identity, but remains on good terms with the rest of the band.
- Arm Cannon: One of his trotmobiles most notable features. The player is quickly led to believe that he was the one who attacked Vanilla and Connie on the beach, but it was actually Dandelion who borrowed it from him beforehand. This was likely done not just to throw anyone who saw him off the trail, but to frame Fennel and leave him with the blame for the attack.
- Cool Shades: Of course.
- Sunglasses at Night: It dosn't matter what time of the day it is, Fennel is always seen wearing his cool guy sunglasses.
- Start My Own: He leaves the Globetrotters about 1/3 of the way through the main plot to start his own band. Unlike most examples of this trope he isn't doing it out of spite or to beat the Globtrotters, but because he wants to do things his way and find his own sound. He even remains on good terms with his former bandmates for the rest of the game and will let Vanilla play in his band if he wants to.
The former leader of the Globetrotters who left after his younger brother Chickory died in an accident.
He played the violin when he toured with the band and has now moved on to crafting instruments at a small shop out in the countryside. Is also Elder the White Phantom, the leader of the Bloody Mantis and trotmobile champion.
- Big Bad: At least in the good ending.
- Blonde Guys Are Evil: He founded the Bloody Mantis and serves as their leader. This means he is the one behind all of their evil deeds over the course of the story and the reason Nefroberg almost got wiped off the map.
- Evil Laugh: Pulls one off when he beats you in the arena.
- Face-Heel Turn: He is the leader of the Bloody Mantis and serves as the final boss of the good path. This caught MANY players off guard.
- Omnicidal Maniac: His plan is to burn Nefroburg to the ground.
- Together in Death: With Savory in the good ending.
- Walking Spoiler: All that can really be said is that he plays a pretty major role in the main storyline.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: All he wanted was to make the world wake up to reality and learn that technology can't solve everything. Made even more poignant once you realize it was the tech-induced apathy of much of the world's populace that directly caused Chickory's death.
The captain of the Juniper Berry, the boat Vanilla was last seen on before the events of the game. She instructs him on piloting Trotmobiles in an optional tutorial.
- The Captain
- Pirate Girl: While she isn't an actual pirate her character seems designed to invoke this trope. She definitely has the look and personality down and isn't afraid of getting into battles with her trotmobile.
Connie's bedridden mother.
- Ill Girl: Stays confined to her bed due to her illness.
Someone who died before the events of the game who Vanilla bears a striking resemblance to. Not much is known about him initially, except that he was loved by the Globetrotters and his death affected them greatly.
Someone whom the Garland Globetrotters, the Desert Hornets, and the Bloody Mantis have it out for. Has or had an amulet that looks like Vanilla's amulet. Is actually the guy who snuck onboard the Juniper Berry with Vanilla, that the player plays in the tutorial.
- The Atoner
- Chekhov's Gunman
- Karma Houdini
- Offstage Villainy: Aside from him and Vanilla sneaking onboard the Juniper Berry at the beginning of the game all of his Jerk Ass behavior and heinous acts happen off screen. When he finally does show up he is very kind and polite and shows remorse for all the bad things he has done.
- Spoiled Brat
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: He is responsible for everything bad that happened, by getting Chickory killed, which drove Dandelion insane and led to him forming the Bloody Mantis.
A brilliant scientist and doctor who invented the trotmobiles but laments the fact that they, like any other machine, can be used for good or evil depending on the person driving them.
- Bonus Boss: He can be challenged and fought by Vanilla after the main story is complete. His trotmobile doesn't have too much health but hits REALLY HARD.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He somehow managed to create a way to make giant robots that are powered by steam. The man even turned his own garage into a giant trotmobile that he uses to battle Vanilla.
- Glass Cannon: His trotmobile.
- Mr Fix It: He himself states that he could never ignore a broken machine, trotmobile or otherwise.