A list of characters and their respective tropes in Team StarKid's sci-fi theatrical musical comedy Starship.
"I wanna be a Starship Ranger..."A, well, bug from Bug-World who wants nothing more than to be a Starship Ranger, like the ones he watches in films from a crashed starship outside his hive. When actual Starship Rangers arrive on Bug-World, Bug has to choose which side he really belongs on. When Pincer gives him a chance to become human a la Avatar he takes it, only to later sacrifice his human body to save the Rangers. Played by Joey Richter.
- Aliens Speaking English: One has to wonder how hyper-intelligent Bug has to be to be able to (mostly) be able to fluently speak English by watching just one video over and over again with no context.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: See Meaningful Name.
- Iconic Item: The classic Joey Richter headband- er, brain leech.
- Meaningful Name: Uh... duh?
- Na´ve Newcomer: To humanity.
- The Sixth Ranger: To the Starship Rangers.
"Bug! What is your problem? Why don't you ever go for Bugette? She totally wants to tear your head off, and let larvae devour your body! THAT'S EVERY BUG'S DREAM!"Bug's best friend since they were hatchlings, Roach is perfectly content living the bug lifestyle and doesn't understand why Bug would want more. Played by Brant Cox.
- Sex Equals Love: Falls in love with the Over Queen after being assigned to mate with her.
- True Companions: Accepts that Bug has to follow his dreams, even if it means losing him, and even tries to help him win February over on Bug World because he knows Bug loves her.
"Bug, I know I seem like this complicated girl. It's like, I'm a Starship Ranger, but I'm also really pretty. And I like shciency stuff."The scouting expedition's chief "schience officer", February seems rather... unqualified for being sent to another planet. Or for being a science officer. It turns out that she was selected for the mission due to a lack of gag reflex, to better transport bugs off-world. While on Bug-World, she falls for Bug while blinded by mucus, and shows absolutely no liking toward bugs until she learns Bug's true nature towards the end. Played by Denise Donovan.
- All Women Love Shoes: She would much prefer Bug-World if it was filled with shoes.
- The Chick: Of the Starship Rangers.
- Loves My Alter Ego: February hates bugs, but loves Bug's human form.
"I just had to learn to kill with my heart!"Commander Up was a hero of the Galactic League during the Robot War until he received his "famous injury". Since then, Up has had major self-confidence issues and has, in his own words, "lost his balls", becoming a sentimental, worrying, somewhat senile old man. Played by Joe Walker.
- Dual Wielding: Uses two pistols in combat.
- Mr. Fanservice: Only Joe Walker could make a literally ballsless old man the sexiest thing ever.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Up's a Badass, so he gets away with smoking cigarettes.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Up learns over the course of the story why this is true in both a literal and figurative sense- his heart compels him to fight harder for his team, but also lets him make human-sized mosquitoes violently explode.
- Large Ham: In the great Joe Walker tradition.
- Mama Bear: If you mess with anyone on the team, especially Taz, Up will mess you up.
- Memetic Badass: In-universe, before his injury, although Taz initially still views him as one.
- Team Dad: Up is this to the Starship Rangers, but his sensitive nature also makes him a...
"You'd better unfudge yourself, or Up will unscrew your head and drop the wishing pennies down your throat. Now take a walk off my knife."Up's partner back in the war, Taz wants to believe that Up is still the same Super Soldier from before his injury, but gradually begins to lose her faith in her old friend until he saves her from the Mosquito Brothers. Played by Lauren Lopez.
- Badass Mustache: Wears Up's mustache for awhile.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Much of which doesn't make any sense.
- The Lancer: To Up.
- Team Dad: Taz fills this role somewhat better than Up.
"It looks like you and I will be fast friends. Try to get my good side when I rescue the science officer. That was a joke, because my design is mathematically perfect and symmetrical."An android who, like all robots, really, really wants to kill humans, but cannot due to an inhibitor chip. However, as she gets to know humans like Tootsie Noodles, it seems like something is starting to make a breakthrough... Played by Meredith Stepien.
- Action Girl: Well, robot, but you get the idea.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Like all robots, she just wants to kill humans. Eventually, though, it's subverted.
- Ridiculously Human Robot
- The Sixth Ranger: To the Starship Rangers.
- Tin Man: "I am merely an empty vessel, a hollow parody of that which you consider alive, unable to truly feel."
- Token Evil Teammate: At first.
"Well, you see, where I come from, Farm-Planet, your first name is what you do, and your last name is what you like. So I'm called Tootsie, on account of my occasional toot, and Noodles, 'cause I like 'em."A simple minded Farm Boy from... well, Farm-World, Tootsie is not the brightest bulb in the box. After he falls in love with Mega-Girl, he slowly begins to to make her realize that humanity, though completely illogical, is not all bad. Played by Dylan Saunders.
- Informed Ability: We never actually see him "toot".
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Referenced by Tootsie a tad too loudly when he first speaks to Mega-Girl as an explanation of why he isn't a real man.
- Meaningful Name: He toots a lot and likes noodles and later, Mega-Girl.
- Na´ve Newcomer: To the Starship Rangers.
- Southern-Fried Private: A parody.
"Now listen to me, my confused little friend- we are friends after all- I used to have my share of doubts and fears, and well, they quite literally almost ate me alive. But no! I took charge! I pushed it to the limit! So you've gotta be strong! Be tough! To coin a phrase... be a man."A giant scorpion who lives outside the hive, Pincer simply loves humans as meals. When Bug leaves the hive, Pincer lets him take over the brain dead body of a human so he can fulfill his dream and bring him dinner. Voiced by Dylan Saunders, though his puppet requires three other people to operate.
- Even Evil Has Standards: He's rather upset when Bug doesn't keep his end of the bargain.
"I'm Junior. Maybe you've heard of me?"The son of the leader of the Galactic League who also happens to be Dr. Space-Claw, Junior is the League's ambassador to the scouting ship. He tries to get the bug eggs to make a private army. Played by Brian Holden.
- Catch Phrase: See his quote.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Smoking pot earns you some bad points.
- Iconic Item: He actually steals one from another StarKid- in his final scene, he's wearing a very familiar pair of pink sunglasses.
- Overlord Jr.: Literally!
- Smug Snake
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: At first.
BugetteA centipede who wants nothing more than to get alone with Bug... then rip off his head, and place her larvae in his body. Played by Lauren Lopez.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: At first she subverts it, but later plays it straight when she takes the bullet.
- Meaningful Name: She's a girl bug. To take it further, her full name is Bugette Buggington.
- Romantic False Lead
KrayonderA headstrong, rather dim Starship Ranger. Basically just Hudson with a different name. Played by Joe Moses.
- Butt Monkey: No one likes Krayonder.
- Expy: To Hudson.
- Unexplained Recovery: After apparently being squashed and/or bifurcated by Pincer, he shows up at the end with a few bandages and no explanation as to how he survived.
- Krayonder: You stabbed me!
SpecsThe Starship Rangers' resident genius. Played by Julia Albain.
- The Smart Girl: Out of the Starship Rangers.