open/close all folders
DargorThe Shadowlord of the Black Mountain, an half demon adopted by Vankar, old wizard of Helm. He serves as Akron's trusted general in the Emerald Sword saga, but dislikes his master. Eventually he makes an Heel–Face Turn and saves the day. He reappears in the following saga as one of the good guys, and eventually becomes a God.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: At the very end of the Dark Secret saga he embraces his fate and is transformed by the spirit of the angel Erian into Algalord's new God of Light.
- The Atoner: In the Dark Secret Saga.
- Dark Is Not Evil: In the Dark Secret Saga
- The Dragon: Akron made him his champion.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: He's extremely puzzled and tormented when the Warrior bothers to risk his own life to save him after he fell in a ravine.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Destroying cities and killing people? Acceptable. Torturing and raping a woman to death in front of the two people who really loved her? Sorry, that's too much even for him.
- Heel–Face Turn: In the most awesome, possible way, involving summoning an army of gargoyles, killing the Dark Chick in one blow and defeating Akron.
- The Hermit: He lives in a dark, lonely cave between sagas until he's recruited for the White Dragon's Order to be their guide.
- Mythical Motifs: The gargoyle: Demonic, but ultimately serves good.
- Noble Demon: He still had a sense of honor while working for Akron, which is what let to his Heel–Face Turn.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Averted, he's incapacitated by a spear in his shoulder.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To his father Vankar in the Dark Secret Saga.
- Unstoppable Rage: During his Heel–Face Turn.
KronThe Hellgod, greatest force of evil in Algalord, father of Nekron, and lord of Hell.
- Bigger Bad: Never directly affects the plot of either saga, but the first Big Bad is his champion and the second his son, and most other villains serve him in one way or another.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: The greatest of them all.
- God of Evil: He's Algalord's prime evil.
- War God: One of his titles is Warmaster.
Gaia"The supreme spirit who gave us the miracle of life", appears to be the greatest force of good in Algalord.
Emerald Sword Saga
The Warrior of IceAlso called the Man from Loregard, the Nordic Warrior, the Swordmaster, and the Hero of the Northern Lands, he's out to search for the Emerald Sword so that he can defeat Akron and save Airin.
- All-Loving Hero: Spares Tharos the dragon after defeating him, and even saves Dargor's life after besting him in battle, leading the shadowlord towards the light.
- Badass Boast: From "When Demons Awake":"I'm the Nordic Warrior, hunter of the marching dead, I'm the bloody hand of titans, when... when demons awake!"
"Go back to your abyss, Algalord will not fall but your heads will soon roll"
- Not to mention this one from "Holy Thunderforce":
- Barbarian Hero: A fierce barbarian warrior from the north.
- Barbarian Longhair: Depicted with long, unkempt blond hair on album covers.
- The Chosen One: He was the chosen one to find the Emerald Sword and stop Akron's dark plans.
- Cool Sword: The Emerald Sword.
- Defiant to the End: If Agony Is My Name is anything to go by....
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: When he believes that Airin has died. Also when Airin and Arwald are killed under his nose.
- Heroic Sacrifice: After being tortured and beaten, he still manages to catch the Emerald Sword, use it to pin King Akron to the platform he's tied to, so that both of them are lowered into the serpent-infested waters of Halgor.
- I Am Not Shazam: Algalord is the name of the kingdom the warrior is fighting for, not the warrior himself. The lyrics to "Warrior of Ice" may make it sound as so.
- Large Ham: Just listen at the first lines of Warrior of Ice.
- No Name Given: Only ever referred to by the above titles.
- Religious Bruiser: He follows a thunder-god who, like himself, is never named. "Lord of the Thunder" is dedicated to said deity, and "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" also contains a prayer to him.
- Unstoppable Rage: After witnessing Airin's brutal death and rape and Arwald's gruesome end.
Prince ArwaldThe noble and wise prince of Ancelot, he's Airin's fiance. Aids the Hero from Loregard in his quest and eventually comes with him in Halgor. There he's captured, tortured and thrown into a pit of acid, but he uses his lasts moments to toss some acid at the warrior, melting his chains.
- Defiant to the End: With his last breath, he splashed acid to melt the silver chains binding the Warrior of Ice, allowing him to escape.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: How about being tortured to death by demons and then having your bleeding carcass lowered into a pool full of acid?
- The Lancer: To the Warrior.
- Together in Death: With Airin.
- The Wise Prince: He's a wise and noble character.
Princess AirinThe princess of Ancelot, she was kidnapped by Akron who's now holding her hostage along with many other nobles. She meets a horrible doom at the hands of Akron's demons.
- Damsel in Distress: Spends most of the saga abducted, then dies.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: She's a princess, of course.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Just like Arwald above, just add in being raped to death.
- Rape as Drama: Raped to death by demons.
- Together in Death: With Arwald.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth Described as a good and pure princess, but killed off in the nastiest possible way.
AresiusWise and powerful sorcerer who was waiting for the Warrior of Ice.
- Mr. Exposition: His role is mostly to inform the Warrior about the obstacles he'll face during his search for the Emerald Sword.
- The Smart Guy: Knows a lot about the various perils of Algalord, but even he didn't see Dargor's Heel–Face Turn coming.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: What happened to him after the Emerald Sword saga is unclear, but given his mention in Never Forgotten Heroes he can be assumed to have died before the Dark Secret saga.
TharosA large dragon, and part of the challenge to reach the Emerald Sword. Joins the Warrior in his quest after being defeated and spared, but eventually dies after battling the guardians of the Sword.
- Big Damn Heroes: Saves our hero from the guardian of the sword.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Was put under a spell, which was broken after his defeat.
- Breath Weapon: The Dragon Flame.
- Defeat Means Friendship: It was actually part of the spell put on him.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Sort of: he fights the monster and demons guarding the sword instead of the Warrior, but the wounds from those fights lead to his death.
- Our Dragons Are Different: A ferocious monster, but with a noble mindset.
King AkronThe Big Bad of the Emerald Sword Saga. He's a dreaded warlord served by demons and monsters who wants to take over Algalord. He's successful at the 99% after getting his hands on the Emerald Sword, but is eventually defeated by Dargor and met his doom at the maws of Halgor's water serpents.
- Big Bad: His evil plans set the stage for the Emerald Sword saga.
- Dirty Coward: Never seen on the frontline, he also panics and shields himself with subordinates when Dargor attacks him. He was wielding the Emerald Sword at the time.
- Evil Laugh: Not heard, but he's described as laughing during the brutal torture and murder of Airin and Arwald.
- Evil Overlord: As a Darklord he controls vast armies of various evil beings.
- Genre Savvy: As soon as the hero defeat his army with the Emerald Sword he demands to hand it over in exchange for Airin's life.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He's defeated by his own Dragon, impaled by his stolen Emerald Sword and fed to the water serpents of his own swamp.
- Playing with Fire: One of the first thing he does with the Emerald Sword? Call forth the Rain of a Thousand Flames to wipe out a city and its army.
- Unholy Holy Sword: The Emerald Sword was forged with hatred and wrath, so even demonic beings like himself can use it.
- Villainous Breakdown: He completely panics when Dargor makes his Heel–Face Turn.
The Queen of the Dark HorizonsThe mistress of Kron, the Hellking, she's the mistress of an endless horde of ghouls and living dead. She's resurrected by Akron using the Emerald Sword to wreak havoc on Algalord. She's eventually killed by Dargor.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Subverted when Dargor kill her with a single blow.
- Back from the Dead: "Queen of the Dark Horizons" details the ritual used to resurrect her.
- The Dark Chick: Serves as this to Akron after her resurrection.
- Dark Mistress: The lover of Kron.
- Driven to Suicide: According to the following line. Considering that she leads an army of undead, she probably meant to Came Back Strong.Suicide as true lover of Kron.
- The Hedonist: The darkest version. Even stated to have the "heart of a bitch".
- The Necromancer: Can summon armies of ghouls.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Although she committed suicide, her soul was trapped by the angels in the crypts of the Ghostlands.
- The Unpronounceable: Her true name is said to be this.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Why Akron wanted her on his side, and what she does indeed cause once released from her tomb in the Ghostlands.
The Dark Secret Saga
The White Dragon Order
- Five-Man Band: The five chosen to stop Nekron's resurrection and save the world.
KhaasHero of the Middle lands, join the quest to recover the Seventh Black book from Dar Kunor and stop Nekron's return. Dies in an avalanche near the end of the saga.
- Anti-Magic: He manages to see through the illusion covering the access to Dar-Kunor's caves.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Perishes in an avalanche.
- Actually, he's still alive by the time of Tarish' betrayal and probably dies after that considering he exclaimed "I'm bleeding!"
- The Hero: He's the Hero of the Middle Lands, chosen by the White Dragon's Order to lead the party.
Iras AlgorThe wise wizard who founded the White Dragon Order to stop the evil Dark Order.
- Badass Grandpa: Old, but strong enough to go on an epic adventure with younger fighters.
- Distressed Dude: When Tarish takes him hostage.
- The Smart Guy: Manages to solve the dark riddle in Dar Kunor and helps the group with his wisdom and knowledge.
Prince TarishThe Elven Prince of the Cave Kingdom. Betray the group when they find the MacGuffin, but is killed.
- Face–Heel Turn: Unclear if he was a member of the Black Order from the beginning or if he was corrupted by the Black Book.
- Oh My Gods!: Exclaims "By all the gods of my Nordic lands..." after seeing the material of Dar-Kunor's inner gates. Namely, human and elven limbs.
- Our Elves Are Better: His people apparently live in caverns.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Going on a quest to save the world is definitely doing something, as is betraying the party for the Black Order.
- The Worf Effect: Quickly proves to be no match for Dargor.
Princess LothenA princess form the Waterfall Kingdom. Not much is told about her.
- Action Girl: As a member of the party sent to save the world she's a capable fighter.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Just like with the Emerald Sword saga, here's another princess.
- Flat Character: She doesn't do much and we never find out much about her.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Like Tarish she's adventuring royalty.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Calls out Tarish for his treason.
EtherusMaster wizard of the Order, friend of Iras. Gives his life in the final battle to defeat the demon Koras.
- The Archmage: He's the Order's master wizard, a mage on the same level as Iras.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In some way gives his life to defeat Nekron's lieutenant Koras during the endgame.
NekronThe Demon Knight and son of the Hellgod Kron. Was killed long ago in the primordial wars, but has left a legacy in the form of the Seven Black Books, which contains the secret to resurrect him.
- Big Bad: The threat he poses sets the stage for the Dark Secret Saga.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: While Akron was a mere Evil Overlord, he's a true devil.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: "The Demon Knight Nekron".
- Overlord Jr.: Son of Kron, after all.
- Posthumous Character: The quest is to ensure that he doesn't get resurrected.
- Religion of Evil: Founded one, the Black Order.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He's dead, but if his soul is ever freed, he'll come back to life.
- Unstoppable Rage: When he found out Thanor had betrayed him to the angels, "his rage cracked the earth".
- Walking Wasteland: After defeating the elves in the past, he took control of their land. As soon as he entered into the valley, all the plant life spontaneously died and the rivers dried or turned into muddy marshlands.
VankarDargor's adoptive father and one of the most notable members of the Black Order.
- Dragon-in-Chief: He serves Nekron, but Nekron is dead and can't actually do much.
- Evil Old Folks: A wizened evil cultist.
- Evil Sorceror: He is specifically mentioned to be a wizard.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: He and Dargor engages into one halfway through the saga.
- Voice of the Legion: In Dargor's vision in Sacred Power of Raging Winds he speaks like this to his adoptive son.
ThanorThe legendary Black Dragon who served and betrayed Nekron, he's now a lifeless statue. However it's said that by putting back his eyes (two gems) he'll return to life. He does in order to defeat the seven evil demons of Nekron.
- Eye Scream: Kron had his eyes ripped out of his sockets. The Angels turned them in priceless gemstones.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Punished for his betrayal by being Taken for Granite.
- Heel–Face Turn: Reveal to the Angels the location of Nekron's hideout to atone for his actions.
- One-Man Army: The seven demons of Apocalypse? He killed six of them without help.
- Our Dragons Are Different: A black one, and like Tharos he's not actually evil.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Kron didn't took the death of his son well, so he tortured Thanor to death and beyond.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Turned into a statue, but with the possibility of being revived.
- Taken for Granite: This is the punishment Nekron bestowed upon him. While returning his gem eyes revives him to kill the remaining seven demons, he magically returns to stone once he has done so.
KorasThe mightiest of Nekron's demonic minions. Defeated by Etherus's Heroic Sacrifice.
- The Dragon: Leader of Nekron's winged demon elite and tasked with carrying out his master's resurrection.
- Legions of Hell: Leads his group of winged demons in service of Nekron.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: The angels made sure he and the six other winged demons were Taken for Granite before they could carry out Nekron's plan the first time around.
ErianThe angel who serves as Nekron's good counterpart. Just as the son of Kron wrote the black books, Erian wrote the white book with instructions on how to stop the former from returning. Specifically, the story of the dragon Thanor.
- Celestial Paragons and Archangels: A powerful angel of light. His essence imbues Dargor with divinity at the end.
LoinirA man whose brother Naimur was tortured to death by the Darklord Atlon during the Third Elvish War. To get his revenge he forged the Emerald Sword and used it to kill the demon, but had wizards hide it out of fear that it would be misused.
- Best Served Cold: It took a few years after Naimur's death before Loinir got to avenge him, during an elven counterattack.
- Cynicism Catalyst: The torture and death of his brother drives him to make a magic sword with which to kill the one who did it. A less extreme case than most, though, in that he comes to realize that his weapon is too powerful and hands it over to a group of wizards.
- Designated Sword: He forged the Emerald Sword out of the emerald stone used to torture his brother, and later got his chance to use it to slay Atlon.
- Holy Hand Grenade: After he forged the Emerald Sword he had it enchanted by angels, presumably because he was hunting a demon.
- It's Personal: You Killed My Brother, prepare to die.
- One-Hit Kill: One strike with the Emerald Sword was enough to kill Atlon, which is what made Loinir realize just how powerful his Infinity+1 Sword really was.
- Posthumous Character: He's long dead at the time of the two sagas, but his work influenced events long after his death.
AtlonA Darklord who lived in the time of the Third Elvish War. He captured and tortured a man named Naimur, whose brother Loinir later killed him with the Emerald Sword he had forged.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: He does this to Naimur after he's captured.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: He ends up slain by the brother of the man he killed wielding a weapon made out of the thing he did it with.
- The Legions of Hell: A Darklord with the title "Hell's Fury".
- Posthumous Character: Died long before the present day of the Algalord Chronicles.
- Predecessor Villain: As a hellish Darklord he serves as this for the purpose of both sagas.
- Red Baron: "Hell's Fury"
Back to the Rhapsody of Fire page.