Characters: Prunus Girl
open/close all folders
MakiMaki is a first-year student at Midorinohka High School, and perhaps the all-around most talented of the first-years. Cool, collected, and handsome, he is the envy of even some upperclassmen, and the object of many girls' affections. He is also completely wrapped around the finger of Aikawa Kizuna, his male classmate and best friend, though Maki himself would deny it fiercely. Maki's ideal adolescence is a calm, relaxed high school life doing only what's absolutely necessary and otherwise just enjoying his time alone or with friends. Too bad for him he's stuck in class 1-A.
- Accidental Pervert: In ways that Aikawa almost certainly engineers.
- The Ace: "Defining feature: good at everything."
- Attractive Bent-Gender: When Maki is forced to crossdress he looks pretty good, like a Tall, Dark and Bishoujo girl.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: He'll do things right the first time, but only so it's easier to laze around after. Anything optional is "a pain" and to be avoided, including clubs, sports, and dating.
- Chick Magnet: Which he hates.
- Cuteness Proximity: Cats (and sometimes Aikawa).
- Has a Type: Compare Kana (his first love) and Aikawa (the only person who gets a reaction now). Both fairly short, with a certain build, feminine and strong-willed...
- He Is Not My Girlfriend: As often as people assume Aikawa is female, they almost always assume at the same time that Maki and Aikawa are dating. Maki has repeatedly had to explain their relationship and Aikawa's sex at the same time.
- If It's You, It's Okay: While Maki doesn't find men attractive and had a crush on Kana in middle school, he eventually decides he doesn't care what Aikawa's gender is and loves him anyways.
- Incompatible Orientation: Maki's main excuse to not go out with Aikawa. Nobody really believes him.
- Last Name Basis: Maki only ever uses surnames unless pushed.
- Only One Name: His own surname, meanwhile, is a mystery. Even his doorplate only has "Maki" on it.
- Only Sane Man: Which he occasionally laments.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Stays on top of household chores and is a spectacular cook. The series jokes that he's a "stay-at-home dad in the making" because he'd rather clean than join a club.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Guy: The savvy one, with Aikawa.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Unconsciously so, with Aikawa. Maki can be amazingly romantic without thinking about it.
- Supreme Chef: Reads cooking magazines like other boys read comics, and casually collects recipes to reproduce in his own time. He was originally saddled with cooking duties for the class's maid cafe during the culture festival, and provided quite the spread for his friends' Christmas party.
Aikawa KizunaMaki's classmate and closest friend. Aikawa would be the most beautiful girl of the first-years except for the little catch that he's a guy and is crossdressing. He's athletically talented and clever, but applies most of his talents to finding loopholes in school rules so he can crossdress, and making Maki's life more interesting. When not looking for ways to amuse himself at the expense of Maki's sanity, he's usually trying to get Maki to look at him romantically.
- Ambiguous Gender: Claims to be male, even his school ID states he's male, but there may still be room for doubt.
- Bi the Way: As long as he likes the person, gender does not matter. In chapter 5 he and Non have a moment that's similar to his and Maki's moments, and notes that normally he'd be fine with dating the Hopeless Suitor of chapters 15 and 16.
- Book Dumb: Aikawa is actually pretty smart, and got into a high school that has very high academic standards just because it was close to his aunt's home and thus convenient to attend. Except now he has been known to turn in completely blank tests and got stuck in remedial classes for his first summer break.
- Clingy Jealous Guy: Early on he tries to get Maki to answer love letters and accept confessions, but becomes much more jealous of Maki possibly having a non-Aikawa love life as time goes on.
- Closet Key: "Who cares as long as he's cute!" is regularly heard in proximity to Aikawa.
- Cosplay Otaku Guy: Any excuse to dress up, Aikawa will take.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Aikawa is cuter than most girls and always knows what guys are thinking. It doesn't get more dangerous than that in a romantic comedy.
- Hair Decorations: A hair clip, which Aikawa wears at all times. One chapter focuses on Maki fretting over its sentimental meaning when Aikawa accidentally leaves it behind at Maki's room. There's no special meaning, Aikawa just prefers to have his hair up.
- Lethal Chef: Aikawa scrambles eggs when trying to fry them, and that's the least of his culinary shortcomings.
- Meido: Tries to tempt Maki with the maid costume from their class's cafe. Maki makes Aikawa clean his room, instead.
- Recursive Crossdressing: The possibility Aikawa is a girl claiming to be a guy who crossdresses as a girl was teased more often early on, and still is somewhat in promotional materials. Mostly he just uses this hypothesis to toy with Maki, though.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Guy: The energetic one, with Maki.
- Shipper on Deck: Becomes very invested in Shion and Kana's relationship, maybe a little too invested.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Unlike Maki, this is always intentional.
- Single-Target Sexuality: Aikawa claims he wouldn't be against going out with another guy or girl, but Maki's the only one he actively shows an interest in.
- The Slacker: To the point the others question how Aikawa could have passed the entrance exams for the school, which set a high bar.
- The Tease: If "Ambiguous Gender" is the first major character trait by which one could identify Aikawa, then this is a close second.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Hard candies, particularly the "magic candies" he occasionally pops out to help mess with Maki's head. Also fond of anything sweet in general.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Even at the end there is still debate as to whether he's a she.
Hanasaka ShionShion is Maki's best friend from middle school and a late transfer to his class from another school. She is more gentlemanly than most men, and popular with the other girls. Which is good for her, seeing as how she is a very out and vocal lesbian. She came to Midorinohka after breaking up with her girlfriend. She is friendly and forthright, but much like Aikawa and the world at large, seems to delight in making the straight-laced Maki's life more troublesome. He's just such an easy target.
- Action Girl: Knows karate, and both she and Maki acknowledge that there's no way he could take her in a fight. Doesn't show her skills off, though.
- Chivalrous Pervert: She relentlessly flirts with and sometimes even gropes other girls at the drop of a hat, even while in a relationship, but is still otherwise very kind and considerate.
- Closet Key: For Tachibana Non and apparently a number of others at her old school.
- Does Not Like Men: Explicitly addressed in one chapter as completely untrue. She just doesn't like guys romantically, and has to regularly reject confessions from guys who confuse her friendly and open behavior with romantic interest.
- The Four Loves: Admits to loving Maki, though it's entirely Storge and Phileo, definitely not Eros. Feels Eros for girls in general and Kana in particular.
- Gaydar: Spots Kandaka-sensei easily, but is rather blind to those aimed at her.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: In her story's about why Kana went out with her, or why she and Kana broke up, she tends to make herself the bad guy.
- New Transfer Student: Arrives at the beginning of the fall semester.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: With no signs of it being declared "just a phase" anywhere in sight.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy of the pair with Kana. Satou from 1-C even tries to put Shion in a butler's outfit during 1-A's all-genders maid cafe.
Tachibana NonAnother member of class 1-A, Non is a long-haired, somewhat serious young woman. She has a healthy interest in romance as yet unfocused, so she is often seen with Kei and Asami, supporting Asami's crush on Maki. She knows what she's looking for in a partner but has yet to find anyone who meets her criteria until Shion shows up. She went to middle school with Asami, Kadoyama, and the twins Kei and Ken.
- Cute Little Fang: She has two.
- Foreshadowing: Of the girls, she is the only one to show an open attraction to Aikawa.
- Gayngst: At first she thought her attraction to Shion was a case of If It's You, It's Okay but after realizing she is just as attracted to Kana she's shocked to find out she's gay.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Shion.
- Threesome Subtext: Or maybe not.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians
- Those Three Girls: With Asami and Kei, though she's a little more likely to take center stage with them as her back-up.
Asakura AsamiAsami is a meek, easily-embarrassed young woman also found in class 1-A. She is seen almost exclusively in the company of Non and Kei, but is also friends from middle school with Kei's twin brother Ken, and Kadoyama. She is completely smitten with Maki, but unfortunately for her, her most important adviser in matters of love is Aikawa, who is also her main rival.
- Dogged Nice Girl: Probably the only girl who hasn't given up entirely on Maki despite Aikawa's presence, though she never really gets the chance to even try.
- Hopeless Suitor: Her hopeless crush on Maki is one of her defining character traits, the poor girl. And the hopelessness of her suit gets rubbed in with nearly every appearance.
- Shrinking Violet: She is very shy and nervous girl who is completly innocent in love matters.
- Those Three Girls: With Non and Kei.
Sasakino KeiOf the trio of Non, Asami, and Kei, the last is almost an enigma. Polite and friendly, Kei is nevertheless fairly reserved and keeps her own counsel when the topic of love (frequently) comes up amongst the three. She is closest to her fraternal twin Ken with a relationship that's mostly playful and teasing, though they don't get to spend as much time together as they once had.
- Sibling Seniority Squabble: Kei usually objects to any teasing from Ken by pointing out she's the "older" of the two.
- Those Three Girls: With Non and Asami.
- Twincest: Kei loves her brother, but has yet to act on it.
- Twin Tropes: Generally averted, aside from a reasonable family resemblance to her brother Ken. If they weren't in the same grade, they'd seem like any pair of siblings close in age.
Sasakino KenKen is Kei's younger fraternal twin. He is smart and capable, and if anything even more level-headed than Maki. He and his sister were part of a rather tightly-knit group of friends at their middle school, along with Non, Asami, and Kadoyama; as a result, he's not actually as close to Maki or Aikawa as he is the others, though he'll still provide a sympathetic ear. He spends most of his time around Kadoyama now, or busy with school and homework.
- Big Eater
- Eyes Always Shut
- Straight Man: To Kadoyama.
- Those Two Guys: With Kadoyama.
- Twincest: Not as many signs shown as Kei, but still some.
KadoyamaKadoyama is an overexcitable goofball who borders on Cloudcuckoolander status given his eccentric and overwrought nature. He is one of Aikawa's most rabid fans at the school, and one of the first to decide "it's okay as long as he's cute" when the question of sex and sexuality comes up. He is inclined toward wacky schemes with little follow-through, and has a gift for dragging others into them. He is also actually the most academically accomplished person in the class if not the whole year.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Kadoyama gets the best grades in the class, if not the year. He still copies Maki's homework.
- Ditzy Genius
- Hidden Depths: Seriously, would you expect his grades to be that amazing?
- Idiot Ball: Glued firmly in hand. He once freaked out at Maki for getting Aikawa pregnant, when Aikawa was hiding a cat under his shirt. Aikawa's a guy. Kadoyama doesn't even have the excuse of the initial surprise and jumping to conclusions that Shion had.
- Large Ham
Wakakusa KanaKana is Shion's middle-school (and early high school) girlfriend, and another late transfer to Midorinohka's first year classes. She is cheerful and strong-willed, even more so than Shion, changing schools just to chase Shion down. She is also Maki's first love, though ended up in a relationship with Shion before Maki could make his move.
- Brutal Honesty: She says exactly what she thinking.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Averted for the most part, Kana is fully aware of Shion's flitatious ways and doesn't seem to mind too much, she herself is shown to flirt with other girls as well.
- Determinator: Once she set her mind on something there really is no stopping her.
- Gaydar: Picks up right away on Non's crush on Shion, having seen it many times before.
- New Transfer Student: Arrives part way into the fall semester, chasing Shion.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut: Maki says Shion was unfaithful in middle school, Kana says its not completely true.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: After meeting and confronting Non about her feelings for Shion, Kana hugs Non and tells her they're going to be the best of friends, apprently one where Kana would constantly flirt with Non.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: With Shion.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Girly girl to Shion's tomboy.
Satou HarukoSatou is a minor, recurring character who first appeared trying to flirt with Maki. Too bad for her, Aikawa ended up in the way. When next she appeared, she had undergone a transformation, consumed with excitement at the idea of a potential "yaoi pairing" in such close proximity to her.
- Otaku: After discovering the wonder of Yaoi, she has fully embraced the Otaku life style, from drawing doujin to making well crafted cosplay outfits.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Satou is first presented as a very pretty girl who (we later discover) used to work part-time as a model. Then she reappears as a dressed-to-repress fujoshi, and for so long that she even gains undertones of Beautiful All Along in the way others talk about her.
- Shipper on Deck: For Maki and Aikawa, though more because its her fetish.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Draws MakiXAikawa doujin.
- Yuri Fan: She seems to enjoy Kana and Shion's relationship as well.
President "Call Me Chris" NaitouLoud, hammy, and painfully average in every way but his propensity for bombast, "Call Me Chris!" Naitou is the president of Midorinohka's Absurdly Powerful Student Council. He holds the job entirely because other students think he's funny to watch - which is exactly what he wants, as he is dedicated to keeping high school life fun and full of happy memories for the students. He is also set on the idea of Maki or Aikawa becoming his eventual successors, and pushes them at every opportunity.
- Megane: May be Purely Aesthetic Glasses, knowing him and his love of tropes.
- Genre Savvy: Goofball though he may be, he knows how to entertain and seems to consciously invoke tropes to help the student council and the student body at large.
- Hidden Depths: You would not be wrong to think him an attention-seeking idiot. He also dearly loves the school and has a deep and abiding wish to make others happy, with a strong intuition to suit that wish. All his plans for the culture festival succeed wildly, after all.
- Large Ham: And people love to watch.
- Student Council President: Elected not because he's smart, skilled, or respected, but because people like to watch his antics. For all that, he's dedicated to making school life as fun and worthwhile as it can be for the student body.
YaotomeYaotome is the class representative for 1-A as well as the head of the student council's uniform committee. She is frequently understated and never shows what she's thinking. At least, not until she openly declares something strange or about her sexual preferences without so much as blinking.
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: Head of the uniform committee.
- Bi the Way
- Class Representative: Class rep for 1-A along with her student council duties.
- Covert Pervert
- Emotionless Girl/Deadpan Snarker: A mix of the two, as she is so flat but likes to say some outrageous things.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: To Naitou on the student council.
- Meganekko: Which may be Purely Aesthetic Glasses - she wears the exact same frames as those forced on Maki and Aikawa when they help out the student council
- Sexy Spectacles: She offers President Naitou much praise for putting Maki and Aikawa in Purely Aesthetic Glasses.
Asakura ShizuyaThe vice president of the student council, and older brother of Maki and Aikawa's classmate Asakura Asami. He's shown (in his few appearances) as polite and serious, though President Naitou greatly tries his patience.
Faculty and Staff
Kandaka Ayako-sensei1-A's homeroom teacher and also the first years' math teacher. Kandaka-sensei is serious and always has a sharp word ready. She is also an alumnus of Midorinohka, along with Ranbashi.
- Former Schoolgirl Lesbians: Former schoolgirl, still lesbian, with Ranbashi.
- Smart People Wear Glasses
- Stern Teacher: Homeroom teacher of class 1-A, and math.
Assistant Director Ranbashi RanRanbashi is the assistant director of Midorinohka, and also a former student with her friend Kandaka. She has a bad habit of taking off on trips all over the world, but often returns with gifts. As such, she is very popular with the students who know her.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Kept pace with Kandaka-sensei in grades when they were both students, but didn't have to study to keep up.
- Cool Big Sis: Very popular with the students, and likes to share souvenirs from her travels.
- Hot Teacher: Introduced with a focus directly on her breasts and a caption "Just who is the owner of that pair of incredibly destructive weapons!?"
- Marshmallow Hell: Ably endowed for such a feat and inflicts it on Aikawa in her first appearance.
- Former Schoolgirl Lesbians: No longer a schoolgirl but still a lesbian, and still with Kandaka.
- Sensei-chan: Students refer to her as "Ran-chan" despite being the assistant director of the school.
Aijyou Sennin-senseiAijyou-sensei is the chemistry teacher, and rather old. Very little is known about him, aside from a willingness to indulge student requests when a lesson finishes before the bell.
- Cool Teacher: Chemistry teacher, always willing to do random flashy "experiments" with dry ice in class.
Chairman HaginagaHaginaga is the head of Midorinohka, and presumably Ranbashi's direct superior. She doesn't act very openly, preferring to delegate her duties, including letting the student council take on much more responsibility than normal. As such, few students know who she really is.
- Almighty Janitor: As far as most students know, she's just a groundskeeper. She likes the anonymity.
- Cool Chairman: The head of the school, and is the one who made the Absurdly Powerful Student Council so Absurdly Powerful, as part of a larger drive to teach the students independence and responsibility (and also to just enjoy their high school days).