open/close all folders
A student at Leafmore High, Shannon Matthews stays after school after her brother Kenny goes missing, as it is the first place to look for clues and she suspects (correctly) that that is where he went missing. Canonically, she survives the experience.In the second game, Shannon has become a student at Fallcreek University, and has taken on a much darker personality. Of the first game's survivors, she is the only one who's been able to adapt to the mortifilia infection, which has driven a wedge between her and Kenny, who needs pills to suppress the infection. She survives the game, helping her boyfriend Stan kill her brother Kenny at the end.
- Action Girl: In ObsCure II.
- Broken Bird: In the second game.
- The Chick: In the first game. By the second, she's taken several levels of badass.
- Final Girl: In the first game, her personality and appearance are heavily inspired by the "final girl classic" model of Laurie Strode or Sidney Prescott, being the more modest and less abrasive of the two female characters. (Not so much in the second game, though.) She's the only female character to survive the events of both games.
- Girl Next Door: In the first game.
- Goth: Becomes one after the traumatic events of the first game.
- Goth Girls Know Magic: Shannon gains both gothness and magic powers in the interval between the first and second games.
- Hotter and Sexier: In the second game. To a lesser extent, this is also true of her New Game+ outfit in the first game, which is a much biggest change from her normal outfit than the other four characters get.
- Kill the Ones You Love: Kills her brother, Kenny, at the end of the second game.
- Magic Skirt: Averted, players can see up her skirt in a few angles.
- The Medic: One of her skills in the first game is using first aid kits more effectively.
- The Smart Girl: She was an ace student in high school, and her skills in the first game were offering puzzle tips and knowing first aid.
- Team Mom
- Took a Level in Badass: Is the only one to successfully adapt to the Mortifilia, and is actually capable of inhaling the spores without harm.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Shannon in the first game: a kind, sweet, caring Girl Next Door. Shannon in the sequel: a goth chick who berates her brother's "weakness" in being unable to suppress his infection.
- Weak, but Skilled: In the first game, her first aid skills and puzzle hints can both be used at the gathering site, making her a character who's only to be sent out fighting as a last resort. In the sequel, she doesn't have any physical advantages, but her symbiosis with the mortifilia allows her to clear doors and passages that are blocked by spores.
Stan JonesA student at Leafmore High, Stan Jones is a layabout slacker who is failing his classes. While he puts on a Pretty Fly for a White Guy attitude, he's otherwise fairly mellow, and is friends with Kenny. He gets dragged into the events of the game when the main gang stumble upon him hacking into his school records and offering to do the same for them. Canonically, he survives the experience.After the first game, Stan dropped out of school and spent some time in jail, and by the second game he's a pizza delivery boy. He needs to take medication to suppress the mortifilia infection. He survives the game, helping his girlfriend Shannon kill Kenny at the end.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Shannon develops a crush on him. They become an Official Couple by the end of ObsCure II.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Delinquent: He was one in the first game, and his dialogue in the sequel reveals that he did time in prison between the events of the two games.
- Expy: In the first game, he closely resembles Josh Hartnett's character in The Faculty. Word of God says that this was deliberate.
- Final Guy: Is the only male character to survive the events of both games.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Master of Unlocking: His skill in the first game is in finding locks that can be picked, as well as picking them much faster than the other characters. In the second game, he's the only character who can pick locks.
- Phlebotinum Muncher: Becomes addicted to his medication used to keep the Mortifilia dormant.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: In the first game.
- The Stoner: While never outright stated, his overall mannerisms in the first game, as well as the fact that his alternate New Game+ outfit is in Jamaican/Rasta colors, seem to imply it. It's largely dropped in the sequel, though.
- Took a Level in Badass
- Took a Level in Kindness: Is much more friendly in the second game.
- Weak, but Skilled: His talent for finding pickable locks and opening them quickly is most useful for after you've cleared out a room full of monsters.
Kenny MatthewsA student at Leafmore High, Kenny Matthews is a player on the school's basketball team. One day after practice, he is kidnapped by Principal Herbert Friedman to use as a test subject for experiments with the mortifilia plant, later to be rescued by his sister Shannon, his girlfriend Ashley, and his friends Stan and Josh. Canonically, he survives the experience.In the second game, Kenny has become a student at Fallcreek University. He needs medication to suppress the mortifilia infection, which drives a wedge between him and his sister Shannon, who has learned to suppress the infection without medication and frequently urges him to do the same. After running out of medicine, Kenny mutates into a giant monster, and proceeds to kill Mei and Corey, as well as kidnap, rape, and impregnate Amy. He is put down by Shannon and Stan in the finale.
- Big Bad: Of ObsCure II.
- The Big Guy: Moreso in the second game, where his special ability is increased strength to move heavy objects. Then, after his Face–Monster Turn, he gets really big.
- Controllable Helplessness: During the prologue, which ends with him getting captured no matter what.
- Decoy Protagonist: Spends most of the first game locked up in a cell after being the focus of the prologue. He also pulls a Face–Monster Turn early in the second game and becomes the Big Bad.
- Distressed Dude: His disappearance sets off the first game's plot.
- Dumb Jock
- Face–Monster Turn: After sniffing a drug made out mortifilia, his infection started to kick in a lot sooner that it should and unfonrtunaly for him, he couln't find his pills in time. After various screams in the hospital the whole gang has to face the mutated Monster Kenny.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Abducts, rapes, and impregnates Amy after his transformation.
- I Know Madden Kombat: His agility from playing basketball serves him well in combat.
- Jerk Jock: At times, mostly in the sequel.
- Lightning Bruiser: In the first game, his special ability allowed him to sprint faster than the other characters.
- Phlebotinum Muncher: In the second game, he is heavily dependent on medication to deal with his infection, which becomes a serious problem when he no longer has access to any.
- * Tragic Monster
- Unskilled, but Strong: In both games, his special ability (speed in the first, strength in the second) is derived from his physical fitness.
Josh CarterA student at Leafmore High, Josh Carter is a school newspaper reporter who offers to help Shannon and Ashley search the school for evidence of Kenny's location after hours. Canonically, he survives the experience. Afterwards, he and Ashley returned to the ruins of Leafmore High, where they were attacked and presumably killed by Jedidiah.
- Bus Crash: Is presumably killed by Jedidiah when he and Ashley return to investigate the Leafmore ruins.
- Camera Fiend
- Going for the Big Scoop: Part of the reason he helps Shannon and Ashley on their investigation. The sequel reveals that he tried to do it again by going back to the ruins of Leafmore, a move that got him and Ashley killed.
- Hollywood Nerd: As seen in the picture above, he's a remarkably handsome dweeb.
- Notice This: His special ability in the first game is being able to detect whether a particular room has any useful items or puzzles that need to be solved.
- School Newspaper Newshound: What got him into this mess in the first place.
- The Smart Guy
- * Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome
- Weak, but Skilled: He's the guy you bring to comb an area for items.
Ashley ThompsonA student at Leafmore High, Ashley Thompson is a cheerleader who is dating Kenny Matthews. After Kenny goes missing, Ashley is initially annoyed, but begins to worry for his safety after Shannon tells her that she hasn't seen him either, and so she helps to search for him at school after hours. Canonically, she survives the experience. Afterwards, she and Josh returned to the ruins of Leafmore High, where they were attacked and presumably killed by Jedediah.
- Action Girl: Her special ability is a rapid-fire attack that allowed her to get off two shots or swings at once.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Bare Your Midriff
- The Big Girl
- Bus Crash: Is presumably killed by Jedidiah when she and Josh return to investigate the Leafmore ruins.
- The Cheerleader
- * Sudden Sequel Death Syndrome
- Unskilled, but Strong: Her special ability only really boosts her fighting ability, but when tackling a horde of monsters, she can easily kick their ass.
DanA student at Leafmore High, Dan was kidnapped by Principal Friedman before the events of the game. He offers to help Kenny escape from Friedman's clutches, but is killed in the process.
- Failure Is the Only Option: He gets killed off in the prologue, serving only to introduce the co-op mechanics and to show that Anyone Can Die.
- Playing with Syringes: He had been experimented on for an unspecified amount of time, leaving him emaciated.
- Red Shirt
- Sacrificial Lamb
- What Could Have Been: The game files reveal that he once had a much larger role in the game. He was originally meant to be the survivor of the prologue, with Kenny getting killed instead.
Herbert FriedmanThe principal of Leafmore High, Herbert Friedman is also kidnapping and carrying out grotesque experiments on his students. He and his brother Leonard went on an expedition to Africa to discover the secret to immortality, and discovered the mortifilia plant, which seemed to have such properties. While the plant worked on Herbert and his wife, Elisabeth Lucy Wickson, it had disastrous effects on Leonard, turning him into a monster. Distraught, Herbert founded Leafmore High as a cover for his experiments and to have a steady stream of test subjects, hoping to find a way to save Leonard. At the end of the game, he is killed by Mr. Walden, who had gone crazy due to his mortifilia infection.
- Big Bad
- Dean Bitterman
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He's doing it all to save his brother from his mutation.
- Evil Teacher: Or principal, in his case.
- Love Makes You Evil: His quest to cure Leonard pushed him over the edge.
- Mad Scientist: He's been kidnapping and experimenting on students in his lab beneath the school.
- Obviously Evil: No bones are made about the fact that he's up to his nose in what's going on at the school, even if the game takes some time to spell out exactly what that is.
- Really 700 Years Old: He's well over a hundred years old, but due to his experiments, he hasn't aged since the early 1900s.
Leonard FriedmanHerbert Friedman's brother. He and Herbert discovered the mortifilia plant while on an expedition to Africa to find the secret to immortality, and while it worked on Herbert and his wife, it turned Leonard into a monster. He now lives in the school's basement, having grown into a giant Plant Person whose roots stretch across the campus. He is killed at the end of the game by the protagonists, serving as the Final Boss. The second game reveals that he was Not Quite Dead, using his son Jedidiah to take care of him and spread the mortifilia plant around Fallcreek University. Both of them are killed at the end.
- [Big Bad: [spoiler: Of ObsCure II, having survived the final battle at Leafmore and uses his son Jedidiah to spread the Mortifilia into the Fallcreek campus.]]
- Final Boss: Of the first game.
- Madwoman in the Attic: Leafmore High's dirty little secret.
- Not Quite Dead: Survives the final battle and goes on to become one of the Big Bads of the second game.
- Plant Person
Denny WaldenA biology teacher at Leafmore High, Denny Walden learned about Friedman's experiments, and attempted to investigate for himself. He escaped, but got himself infected and accidentally released the mutated test subjects onto the campus. He tries to help the main characters, but slowly goes insane from the infection, eventually killing Friedman in an attempt to get the cure. He is then killed by Leonard.
- Badass Teacher
- Sacrificial Lion: He gets killed by Leonard just after shooting Herbert Friedman.
- The Smart Guy: In between teaching biology classes, he also figures out how the Mortifilia plant works.
- Zombie Infectee: He was infected early on, causing him to behave more erratically as the game progresses. By the end, he is too far gone to safely use the antidote — not like it would've saved him from getting killed by Leonard anyway.
Elisabeth WicksonThe nurse at Leafmore High, Elisabeth Lucy Wickson is also Leonard Friedman's wife. Like Herbert, she was granted immortality by the mortifilia plant. At mid-game, Mr. Walden, who begin to show symptoms of the infection, came to ask about something to fight it, but didn't get any response by the nurse; so he desperately beat her, trying to get information about the cure. She did told him about the cure, but he had hurt her critically..
- Distressed Damsel: The cafeteria level involves racing to get the lights back on while she's locked in her office.
- Really 700 Years Old
- Sacrificial Lamb: While the group felt awful out not being able to saver her, Stan was the most affected as at that moment he felt defeated. He had thought the whole event as an adventure, but it was at that moment that he finally realized what was really the danger, the horror and the mortality of the infection that flooded their veins.
- School Nurse
Corey WildeA student at Fallcreek University, Corey Wilde is a daredevil skater whose first and second love are his girlfriend Mei Wang and his muscle car. Corey and Mei try to sneak into a Delta Theta Gamma party just as it was being overrun by mortifilia monsters, and they must fight their way out and try to survive and stop the outbreak. At the end of the game, with his car trashed, Mei dead, and infection coursing through him, Corey is Driven to Suicide by Kenny.
- Action Survivor: He's just a normal student, yet he decides to fight through a town full of monsters. Plus, he fights and defeats a now very powerful mutated Kenny, by his choice.
- Battle Couple: With Mei.
- Berserk Button: The thought of anything bad happening to his car. Or Mei, but don't tell her he said it in that order.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: He shoots himself rather become a Monster like Kenny.
- Driven to Suicide: At the end of the game he's infected and to not become a monster he chooses this option.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: After Mei's death.
- Made of Iron: One of his special abilities is that he's capable of taking some pretty nasty falls and blows without serious injury. He took a pipe to the stomach, yet he still was capable of fighting to end the nightmare.
- The Precarious Ledge: He can climb along narrow ledges without falling.
- The Precious, Precious Car: He loves his vintage muscle car. He calls it the "quintessential automobile".
- Trauma Conga Line: He is infected by the Mortifilia, his car is destroyed, and his girlfriend is murdered right in front of him. He ends up shooting himself in the head at the end.
- Zombie Infectee: He is infected at the climax of the story by Kenny, but he didn't infect him to become another senseless monster, Kenny was going to make him a sentient monster, just like him. To avoid this he decides to end his life, so he won't hurt his remaining friends.
Mei WangA student at Fallcreek University, Mei Wang is a computer whiz and gamer who is dating Corey Wilde and whose roommate is her beloved sister Jun. While Mei and Corey are sneaking into a Delta Theta Gamma party, it is overrun by mortifilia monsters, and they must fight their way out and try to survive and stop the outbreak. She is killed by Kenny, who crushes her head beneath his foot in front of Corey.
- Asian and Nerdy: The hacker of the group.
- Asian Chick Dies First: Out of the six main protagonists (not counting her sister Jun), she's the only one who's non-white, and also the first one to bite it.
- Battle Couple: With Corey.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Not only does Kenny stomp her head flat, he does it while her boyfriend Corey watches on helplessly.
- Gamer Chick
- Hackette: Her special ability is using her PDA to hack electronic locks.
- Sacrificial Lion: She's the first of the six main characters to die.
- The Smart Girl
- Theme Twin Naming: With Jun.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Your Head Asplode
Sven HansenA student at Fallcreek University, Sven Hansen is a Norwegian exchange student who plays on the school hockey team and dates Amy Brookes. He and Amy were at the Delta Theta Gamma party when people started mutating, and had to fight their way out. He is killed by Jedidiah and hanged on a meat hook.
- The Big Guy: Able to push heavy objects that the other characters can't.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: One worthy of Leatherface.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: He ships his Norwegian heritage throughout the game. Amy mostly rolls her eyes at his forced Viking references.
- Foreign Fanservice: He's every chiseled Nordic stereotype rolled into one, and the girls love him for it.
- Funny Foreigner: He's easily the most outwardly jovial of the main cast.
- Horny Vikings: He frequently references Norse legends and myths in his dialogue.
- Ice Hockey: He's on the school's team, and you can make the hockey stick his Weapon of Choice if you so desire.
- Lovable Jock: Probably the most jovial character in the game.
- Mr. Fanservice
- Norway: Loves talking about his homeland, despite spending nearly his whole life in America, as Amy points out.
- Sacrificial Lion: Is killed by Jedidiah immediately before the final act.
Amy BrookesA student at Fallcreek University, Amy Brookes is a bubbly, yet intelligent, girl who is dating Sven Hansen. The two of them were at the Delta Theta Gamma party when people started mutating, and had to fight their way out. She is kidnapped, raped, and impregnated by Kenny, and is later captured by Delta Theta Gamma, who seek to study her mutant offspring. She gives birth to a monster, which destroys the helicopter she was in and presumably kills everyone on board.
- The Chick
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Getting raped by a monster, then getting killed by the equally monstrous offspring he impregnated her with.
- Dumb Blonde: While she sometimes exhibits mannerisms in line with this trope, she's otherwise a subversion. Her unique skill is decrypting, which allows her to solve puzzles that the other characters can't.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: Both Kenny and Sven are competing for her.
- Face Full of Alien Wing-Wong
- Genius Ditz: See Dumb Blonde.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty
- Ms. Fanservice: While Shannon, Mei, and Jun are all plenty good-looking, none of them show it off like Amy does.
- The Smart Girl
Jun WangA student at Fallcreek University, Jun Wang is Mei's sister and roommate. She helps get Sven and Amy into the Delta Theta Gamma party, and is later trapped in her dorm when monsters attack. Despite Sven and Mei's best efforts, the monsters succeed in getting to Jun.
- Asian Chick Dies First: The first death out of the major characters.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Is discovered badly mutilated by one of the monsters.
- The Cutie
- Damsel in Distress: Her main role. She dies.
- Gamer Chick
- Knight of Cerebus: The game gets a lot darker after her death.
- Morton's Fork: One level midway through the game has Sven and Mei racing to save her. She dies whether or not you get to her in time; they'll find her dead if you don't, and if you do, they'll get separated from her and find her dead soon after.
- Sacrificial Lamb
- Theme Twin Naming: With Mei.
Professor Richard JamesA professor of biology at Fallcreek University, Richard James assists the students in their quest to end the outbreak, supplying them with upgrades to their batteries and healing items. He also works for Delta Theta Gamma, and helps them kidnap the survivors after Leonard and Jedidiah are defeated. He is presumably killed when Amy gives birth, her mutant offspring destroying the helicopter they were in.
- Badass Teacher
- Gadgeteer Genius: He provides upgrades for the battery life of the taser and chainsaw, as well as for the syringe used to extract health serum from fallen enemies.
- The Mole
- Team Dad: Subverted.
Jedidiah FriedmanJedidiah is a mad, mentally damaged man who lives in an empty, decaying mansion in the woods, occasionally venturing out to kidnap and murder people. He is Leonard Friedman's son, and serves to care for his father and spread the mortifilia plant around the Fallcreek campus. The two of them are killed at the end of the game.
- Chainsaw Good: Uses one to murder Sven and try to kill Corey and Stan. Later inverted when Corey uses his own chainsaw to kill him.
- Disc-One Final Boss: After he is killed, the credits begin to roll but the game is far from over.
- The Dragon: To his father, Leonard.
- Expy: Hold much in common with Leatherface, between his Weapon of Choice, his overall appearance, the state of his house, and his hanging victims on meathooks.
- The Grotesque
- Hero Killer: Tortures and kills Sven. Also possibly killed Josh and Ashley prior to the start of the second game.
- Hillbilly Horrors
Delta Theta Gamma (ΔΘГ)Delta Theta Gamma is a fraternity operating on the campus of Fallcreek University. The mortifilia outbreak started at a party they were holding. They're basically your typical hard-partying Delta House wannabes. At least, on the surface. Beneath their frat-boy exterior is actually a powerful secret society hundreds of years old, with members highly placed in the US government.
- Ancient Conspiracy: They're basically a fictional version of Skull & Bones.
- Ballroom Blitz: Everything started at a particularly out-of-control fraternity party.
- Fratbro: What we see of their members until the secret comes out.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Herbert and Leonard Friedman were both members of the organization, which sponsored their African expedition and later supported and covered up Herbert's experiments at Leafmore High School, as it views the mortifilia plant as the key to immortality. They also have a behind-the-scenes hand in the events of the second game, with Professor James being The Mole for them.
- Playing with Syringes: It's implied that they were going to do this to Amy after Kenny impregnated her. Her Express Delivery, however, killed the agents who had been sent to capture her (along with Amy herself).
- Secret Circle of Secrets: Hints of this are dropped when the characters explore their frat house early in the game, but it's only at the end when we see how far it goes.
- Short-Lived Aerial Escape: The agents transporting Amy didn't realize just how dangerous their "cargo" really was.
- Wacky Fratboy Hijinx: Their stock in trade seems to be this. The key phrase being "seems to be".