Characters: First American Blitz
The characters of First American Blitz.
open/close all folders
"You have simply become selfish and indolent, barely worthy of the opportunities you are provided. And this is where it all has led you. So congratulations. Stand and be proud of your achievement. Stand and be proud of one more thing that you get to earn easily; your so-called lives. Afterall, what can be easier than killing someone – be it friend or stranger – to earn your way back to that life of bloat and excess?"The Program Supervisor and Authority Figure within the confines of the Kasanagi Eto. Whilst she isn't particularly evil or vicious, she is cold and ruthless in both her speech and actions with the reasons for these being explored in later chapters. With the exception of Alisia 'Lisi' Benetti she has the honour of being the most mentioned and seen character throughout the Fan Fic, which is justified given her important role. She hasn't yet had a true Day In The Limelight of her own but she does have heavy roles in multiple chapters as well as being the sole focus of the 'Personal Views and Opinions' entries, chapters which take the form of a journal written/recorded some time before the events of the Blitz.
- Antagonist in Mourning: She admits to finding it hard coping with the death of her own daughter in a past Program, however, she still refers to Junko as her greatest failure.
- The Baroness: Of the Rosa Klebb variety.
- Crapsack World: She's one of very few characters within the story that seem to care about the state of teenagers in the US in the slighest, but then again she's aligned with the government.
- Evil Matriarch: A tame Type 2.
- Hidden Depths: At first Omatsu-San seems like your run of the mill, stereotypically evil government official in the 'teacher position'. Come 'Personal Views and Opinions 1', we learn about Junko...
- Ice Queen
- Laser-Guided Karma: This is how Omatsu-San sees the Blitz...
- Speak Ill of the Dead: Several years after her daughter's death, Omatsu-San states "She was – and remains to this day – my greatest failure." for the sole reason of Junko being a wannabe Valley Girl and something of a Bratty Teenage Daughter.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: She's rather fond of these, just check out her quotation.
Red Rock High School
"Look. I…I'm sorry I yelled at you. If you couldn't tell, I'm stressing pretty fucking hard here. I mean, what the fuck? How the hell did this shit even happen?"A contest winner from Red Rock High School in Arizona who has several bit parts and a supporting role before his Day In The Limelight Chapter 10: A Fool's Errand. Noted by several other contestants to be attractive and having a sinister aura. It is revealled that he is a sufferer of a severe case of Bipolar Disorder that results in increasingly poor decisions, a Hair-Trigger Temper and paranoia. Not much else is known about him other than him being a definite Wild Card.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 10: A Fool's Errand.
- Gray Eyes
- Hair-Trigger Temper: When he hasn't had his medication.
- Properly Paranoid: Especially at the start, and now that he's lost his medication he'll probably get worse.
- Mood-Swinger: Brian suffers from Bipolar Disorder.
- Would Not Shoot A Girl: Averted, justified in that he hasn't had his medication for a while but still...
Andrew 'Andy' Higgins
Santa Domingo High School
Jonathan 'Jonny' Chiang
“C’mon! C’mon you fat fuck! Don’t quit now! You’d better do something! ‘Cause if you turn and run now, I fucking swear I’ll make sure you don’t get back up!”A contest winner from Santa Domingo High School in California, he has the honor of being the first student to physically attack another without any true provocation. He is also the first to be seriously injured, though this occurs through his own stupidity more than anything else; learning the hard way that it’s best not to piss off Omatsu Reiko. His Day In The Limelight is Chapter 7: Against the Clock. He is the first character to show a true streak of brutality as well as nearly killing another student; justifying his actions by thinking that everyone will be out to get him because of his injury. It seems that he has some sort of unresolved past guilt after severely injuring someone. It remains to be seen whether or not he can come to term with this before some other student can kill him.
- Bad Ass: Beat the hell out of three freshmen, a sophomore and a senior (whether it was in one go or on separate occasions remains unknown). Talked trash to three boys even though he knew an ass-whipping was coming. Despite being warned to stay quiet during her Orientation, still stands up to Omatsu Reiko. Even with a bullet in the thigh, he attacks - and almost succeeds in killing - another student he'd come across. This guy seems to have extra Bad Ass points to spare at the moment.
- Every Man Has His Price: In a flasback to (un)happier times, his father accuses him of being a 'spoiled ass' after Jonny tells him to 'do what he always does and throw money at the problem'.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Omatsu Reiko and Eddy Escobar would agree.
- Handicapped Badass: He may have started the Blitz with a bullet in the thigh, but that didn't stop him from beating the holy hell out of Eddy Escobar.
- I Regret Nothing: Averted. He allows himself to be beaten up by a gang of guys when he realizes their ringleader is the older brother of a boy Jonny disabled in a fight. Normally he'd be able to take care of himself in this situation (see: Bad Ass Trope), but his guilt and regrets won't allow him.
- Jerk Jock: Possibly. Though it remains to be seen just how he ended up paralyzing the boy he is guilt-ridden over.
- Trash Talk: Seems to do this often; even when outnumbered three to one or being told to be quiet by a woman threatening to have him killed if he isn't or trying to fight another student even though he knows he is slowly bleeding to death and can't afford to waste time doing so.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 7: Against the Clock
- Guilt Complex: Has yet to come to terms with regrets over paralyzing a boy. This has already hampered his performance in the Blitz once and could be the thing that ends up causing him his life.
- Fearless Fool: After being warned THREE SEPARATE TIMES to be quiet by Omatsu Reiko, a woman who has not only just revealed that they have to kill each other to go home but is also being backed by ARMED SOLDIERS; Jonny voices his 'opinions' on the subject. Not surprising that he ends up with a bullet in the thigh for his efforts.
Cold Rivers High School
Madeline 'Maddy' Higgins
Bayside High School
Bear Ridge High School
Robert 'Bobby' CheveyoA contest winner from Bear Ridge High School in New Mexico, as well as being the first character directly introduced through the Day In The Limelight method, his first appearance and starring role being Chapter 3: Awake & Arrival. Despite at first being scared, confused trying (and failing) not to throw up, his first in-game appearance has him rescuing a Damsel in Distress. He is the only character not to be specifically aligned with any sort of clique, hobby or extra curricular activity, making him The Everyman. It is also perhaps notable that including his Day In The Limelight and his other small appearance later on, he hasn't had a single line of dialogue.
- Action Survivor: Despite being The Everyman, Robert manages to rescue Brenda in Chapter 19: The Princess, The Indian and the Death that Came for Them. Whether this is a one time thing or something that will be built on later, he certainly (and surprisingly) has shades of this.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 3: Awake & Arrival.
- Audience Surrogate
- Big Damn Heroes: A frantic version. He manages to rescue Brenda Hughes from being raped and subsequently murdered by Trevor Gates, managing to tackle him away from her. While embroiled in the brief fight, he notices that Trevor's PISCES PRC-001XD has been set off. Remembering the briefing about Mobile Danger Zones, he panics and flees before his collar can activate.
- The Everyman
- Friendless Background: Being the only student from Bear Ridge High School in New Mexico, he's at a severe disadvantage having no friends to rely on for protection or company. It's rubbed in his face when you realise most of the other students from various schools already have predetermined alliances, and will be less than willing to accept a complete stranger into the group.
- Male Gaze: One of the first things the reader learns about him is that he was trying to avoid being caught by Peggy Ryman whilst checking out her chest.
- The Voiceless: Whilst he's been playing this trope straight so far, it isn't yet known how much longer it will last for.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Happens at the end of his Day In The Limelight.
George R. Diomatti High School
Nicholas 'Nick' Lang
Alisia 'Lisi' Benetti
"Seriously, are you deaf or just stupid? God! Why do I have to keep repeating myself with you? HURRY THE HELL UP!"A contest winner from George R. Diomatti High School in New York who has the honour of appearing (or at least being mentioned) in more chapters than any other contestant so far. Her Day In The Limelight was the appropriately named Chapter 6: The Beggars and the Elite. The daughter of a New York Senator and a resident of the Upper East Side, it isn't surprising that Alisia is a fashion-conscious socialite with superiority issues, however according to her condidante Brenda Hughes, there may be more to Alisia than you might think.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 6: The Beggars and the Elite.
- Alpha Bitch: She definitely has all the characteristics, but it is implied in Brenda Hughes' Day In The Limelight that there are worse girls at George R. Diomatti.
- Costume Porn: Best friends Alisia and Brenda have this in spades.
- Every Man Has His Price: Used plenty of times in her everyday life, but subverted in her futile attempts to throw money at Omatsu-San and the soldiers to gain freedom.
- Expy: Of Paris Hilton, so says Word of God.
- Foreshadowing: Could attempting to use a designer sandal pump as a bludgeoning weapon foreshadow a future Curb-Stomp Battle?
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Alisia has her driver fired, but not before beating him in front of the JFK International, all because he may have scowled at her.
- Hysterical Woman: She becomes one of these very early on into the Blitz.
- Idiot Ball: Since her exit from the Orientation Room she seems to have made no attempts whatsoever to retrieve her weapon from the chest, the location of which was handed to her in an envelope.
- Morality Pet: As of Chapter 19, Brenda Hughes.
- Nice to the Waiter: Never.
- Race Lift: Word of God confirms that in the early plans for the Fan Fic, Alisia Benetti was originally Alice Bennett.
- Rich Bitch
Victoria 'Vikki' Shaw
Erin Baker High School
Dillon Maxwell III
"O…Okay. We…we're gonna make it. But to do that…to do that, we need to…to get to our weapons...Only to protect ourselves, Limp-Lungs."A contest winner from Erin Baker High School in Ohio, as well as being one of the four contestants to have a blood relative participating in the Blitz alongside them. She is one of the few contestants who can be easily identified in the chapter "Awake & Arrival" whilst half the contestants clamber about in the darkness and shout for their friends. Her Day In The Limelight is Chapter 8: I'd Do Anything to Keep You Safe. She is one of several contestants that doesn't immediately succumb to fear and paranoia and manages to get her bearings and quickly create a waypoint towards her designated box. She is very protective of her younger sister, Sadie, who suffers from asthma. It is unknown at this point if she'll stay loyal and protective of Sadie throughout the game, or whether her role as the protector will lead to her downfall.
- Action Girl: She has shades of this that puts her at the same rank as Cute Bruiser Leslie Thurston, or perhaps lower.
- Action Survivor: She is being built up to becoming one of these.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 8: I'd Do Anything to Keep You Safe.
- Escort Mission: Due to her responsibility in taking care of Sadie, her entire time on the Kasanagi-Eto will probably be this.
- Heroic BSOD: Played with. In the second half of her Day In The Limelight she breaks down and considers abandoning her sister, but she soon snaps out of it. Could be seen as Foreshadowing to the sisters dynamic once they are truly placed under pressure.
- Tomboy: She certainly isn't interested in manicures and fashion, can take care of herself in a fight and punched out the Alpha Bitch in the school cafeteria.
- Unkempt Beauty: Again with having a strong dislike for the Alpha Bitch and her Girl Posse.
“Y…You d-didn't…have to be…so rough…you…you know…!"A contest winner from Erin Baker High School in Ohio, as well as being one of the four contestants to have a blood relative participating in The Blitz alongside them. She is one of the few contestants who can be easily identified in the chapter "Awake & Arrival" whilst half the contestants clamber about in the darkness and shout for their friends. Her Day In The Limelight has not yet occurred, but she has a supporting role in the chapter ‘I’d Do Anything To Keep You Safe’. She, like her sister is one of several contestants that doesn't immediately succumb to fear and paranoia however she is hindered by her asthma, earning her the nickname ‘Limp Lungs’, and also slowing both her and her sister down. Although she seems to be fairly clever, it is unknown at this point if she’ll become The Smart Guy to JoAnne’s Big Guy, or if she’ll become The Load, but one thing that is for certain is that her sister is fiercely protective of her.
- Escort Mission: What her and JoAnne's dynamic appears to be in the earlier, and possibly later chapters.
- Fun T Shirt: "No, I'm The SMART One!"
- Ill Girl
- The Load: Sadie seems to be this, however it is hinted that whatever talents she may have will come into use later on.
- The Smart Guy: If her T-shirt and geeky demeanor are to be trusted.
Grand Terrace High School
"You DO remember what 'fun' is right? You know. That thing doesn't involve us talking about bullies who take delight kicking my ass on a daily basis? F-U-N? Fun? Ringing any bells? Jogging any memories?"A contest winner from Grand Terrace High School in Oregon who is referenced several times before his Day In The Limelight Chapter 26: Emptiness and. He is one of the very few contestants who has any concern for his peers, regardless of whether or not they are family. He has an edge in that due to his fathers profession, he has a familiarity with the layouts of numerous drilling platforms similar to the Kasanagi-Eto which could make him a valuable asset for any potential La Résistance hoping to pull an escape attempt. His best friend is Leslie Thurston, who makes a habit of fighting Casey's battles for him.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He has a crush on his best friend Leslie, but finds his feelings both inappropriate and awkward.
- Humiliation Conga: A non-villainous example, Casey has hidden feelings for his best friend Leslie, but refuses to act on them, and is constantly embarrassed by her fighting his battles for him. In addition to this he is frequently bullied and mugged at school, and to make matters worse not only is Leslie now in a relationship with the guy who has been making Casey's life a living hell, but she is also carrying his child. and now of all things he's been placed into the Blitz.
- The Smart Guy
- Stupid Sexy Friend: Casey often feels uncomfortable when Leslie shows too much skin.
- The Woobie: Whether or not he is the Woobie of the entire story isn't yet clear, but he certainly makes a good candidate.
James 'Jimmy' Turner
William Mc Haven High School
Robert 'Rob' McKean
Walker Clemens High School
Eduardo 'Eddy' Escobar
“Y-You attacked me! And sc-screaming like…like some kind of cr-crazy nut on top…on top of that! I…I had every right to defend myself!”A contest winner from Walker Clemens High School in Texas, he is a conflicted young man who is unsure of his place in the world. He also had the great misfortune of being the first student to be brutalized physically. His Day in the Limelight is Chapter 23: Dramatis Personae Overture, “A Question of Faith”. Revealed to be a devout Catholic, he nonetheless wavers between full belief and doubt due to his being bullied in school. He also fears his size and the possibility that he can end up hurting others because of it. While he is quiet and unassuming, completely devoted to his faith; he has exhibited uncontrollable burst of anger in both the past and in his current situation. Whether this leads him down a darker path or not remains to be seen.
- Butt Monkey: Out of all the characters thus far, Eduardo sure has taken the most beatings.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 23: Dramatis Personae Overture, “A Question of Faith”
- Good Shepherd: So far. Remians to be seen whether or not this particular trope will last the length of the Blitz.
- Raised Catholic: By his parents, obviously. His brother, Raphael, also contributes.
- Faith Heel Turn: Possible. With everything that has happened to him already in just the first two hours, Eddy's faith in the Almighty might start to fade faster and faster.
Charlene 'Charlie' Rae Dolan
"Look. I know you're a Buddhist and everythin' but you gotta understand what's goin' on 'round here, Rahdi. This here's a situation where it's killed or be killed. To protect you, I ain't got no choice but to fight. It's the only way to keep you safe."A contest winner from Walker Clemens High School in Texas, she is a state-native who has spent the majority of her young life divided between the two ideological worlds of her divorced parents. Her Day in the Limelight is Chapter 2: “Instruction on How to Kill Your Best Friend”. Charlene comes across as a pragmatic realist, as evidenced through her run-in with Wendy Prince. She also shows signs of a sort of 'violent overprotectiveness' in her desire to keep her best friend Rahdi Patel safe from those who would hurt her. It is hinted at early on that she might not have a problem killing the other students when she begins to mentally size a few of them up during Orientation. With her skills in hunting and tracking along with the survivalist philosophy instilled by her estranged father, Charlie Rae could become a force to be reckoned with in The Blitz.
- Abusive Parents: According to best friend Rahdi Patel, her father. Charlene doesn't have the best of relationships with him. This also evidenced by the mentioning of 'supervised visitations' at one point.
- Action Girl: Charlene is a relatively straight example.
- Action Survivor: Charlie Rae most likely ranks relatively high among the 28 other students brought to the Kasanagi Eto. Her skills in hunting and survival training taught to her by her father only makes this even more of a certainty.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 2: “Instruction on How to Kill Your Best Friend”.
- Big Damn Heroes: Her subsequent rescue of Rahdi. Comes complete with a freshly opened can of whoopass on Rob McKean.
- Cold Sniper: This seems more than obvious. I mean, her weapon is a BOW of all things.
- Escort Mission: Charlie Rae makes this her self-appointed mission during The Blitz.
- Expy: The Hunger Games. Charlene shares MORE than a few similarities with Katniss Everdeen.
- The Load: Not Charlie Rae herself. But her best Rahdi Patel definitely qualifies as this.