- From the flavor text of Diablo II we get this poem, "Long Road's End" by C. Vincent Metzen:
“What fires burn within my heart and force me to contend
With the perils that await me at this tragic journeys end?
I have walked the roads that lead to Hell, I have challenged all but Fate.
I have fought and bled and carried on just to reach this final gate.
And now the task before me looms, this dire deed undone;
I shall make my stand against the Three until the battle's won.
What fear or wound could ever still this last defiant cry,
As I stand against the Shadow 'neath the endless burning sky?”
- Deus Ex.
Morgan Everett: We are the Invisible Hand. We are the Illuminati. We come before and after. We are forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the day.
- Dragon Age: Origins has a number of these.
- The creed of the Grey Wardens: "In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice."
- The Warden Oath, spoken at the Joining:
Join us brothers and sisters.
Join us in the shadows where we stand vigilant.
Join us as we carry the duty that can not be forsworn.
And should you perish, know that your sacrifice will not be forgotten.
And that one day we shall join you.
- The Dalish Elves have the "Oath of the Dales";
We are the Dalish.
Keepers of the lost lore, walkers of the lonely path.
We are the last of the Elvhenan,
And never again shall we submit.
- "Death before dishonour," the creed of the Orlesian chevaliers.
- From the Chant of Light, notably spoken by Knight-Commander Meredith in Dragon Age II:
Blessed are the peacekeepers, the champions of the just. Blessed are those who stand before the corrupt and the wicked and do not falter.
- The Qunari have their own, as well;
"Struggle is an illusion. The tide rises, the tide falls, but the sea is changeless. There is nothing to struggle against. Victory is in the Qun."
- In the Dragon Age II DLC quest Legacy, Malcolm Hawke, the protagonist's father, also made one into a Badass Prayer:
"Be bound here for eternity, hunger stilled, rage smothered, desire dampened, pride crushed. In the name of the Maker, so let it be."
- Malcolm Hawke's own personal creed:
"Magic will serve that which is best in me. Not that which is most base".
- In the DLC Mark of the Assassin, Hawke proves that badass creeds run in the family, stating their primary motivation for their actions;
"I have a purpose. I protect Kirkwall."
- In Mass Effect 2, Thane Krios also has his own.
Amonkira. Lord of Hunters. Grant that my hands be steady, my aim be true, and my feet swift. And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness.
- The eponymous Assassins Creed: "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted." It's the main quote on the Badass Creed page and was in fact the actual creed of the historical Hashashin sect, led by Hassan al-Sabbah, from the name of which we get the word "assassin".
- Note that the AC1 version has three tenets in addition to this motto: stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent, discretion in all things, and never compromise the Brotherhood. This is a major plot point, as Altaïr's violation of all three at Solomon's Temple led to his demotion, hence his starting as a Novice and having to literally kill his way back to Master Assassin.
- It is expanded in the sequel, in the scene where Ezio is formally sworn into the ranks of the Assassins. It sounds even cooler that way, once you know exactly what it means... although the "three tenets" are now nowhere to be seen, possibly due to Altaïr's reforms. (Amusingly, it's also how to solve the last of Subject 16's Glyph puzzles.)
"Laa shaya waq'in moutlaq bale kouloun mounkine." (Arabic, literally "Nothing is absolute; Everything is permitted.")
Machiavelli: "Where other men blindly follow the truth, remember:"
Ezio: "Nothing is true."
Machiavelli: "Where other men are limited by morality or law, remember:"
Ezio: "Everything is permitted."
Machiavelli: "We work in the dark to serve the light. We are assassins."
All: "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted."
- The central tenet of the Creed is even more impressive when you consider that it's essentially the answer to an existential crisis, an individual's realization that there exists no rational force governing nature: If there is no universal truth, nothing limits what you can do. And all of this centuries before philosophers would assemble the actual school of thought.
Altair: I understand now that our Creed does not command us to be free. It commands us to be wise.
- Ezio delivers his own explanation at the end of Assassin's Creed: Revelations, after living the Creed for almost thirty years.
Ezio: To say that nothing is true, is to recognize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.
- While most of the cast in Team Fortress 2 carry a Badass Boast in their "Meet the..." videos, the Sniper has a code. "Professionals have standards. Be polite, be efficient, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
- "Have a plan to kill everyone you meet," became the official slogan for US Marine India Company's Forward Operations Center, out of Fallujah, Iraq.
- Kim Kaphwan would like to remind you that evil is UNFORGIVABLE.
- Too Human, in a sendup to the Klingon example:
Berserker: It's a good day to die!
Soldier: You always say that.
Berserker: It always is.
- Richter Belmont from Castlevania: "I'm a Belmont. That's my job."
- The Elites have one in Halo 2 that is chanted as a call/response series:
"When we joined the Covenant, we took an oath."
"According to our station, all without exception."
"On the blood of our fathers. On the blood of our sons. We swore to uphold the Covenant."
"Even to our dying breath!"
"Those who would break this oath are heretics, worth of neither pity nor mercy. Even now they use our Lord's creations to broadcast their lies."
"We shall grind them into dust—"
"—And continue our march to glorious salvation!"
- There's one for the Spartan-IIs and IIIs too:
"Spartans never die. They just go to Hell and regroup."
- Don't forget the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers of the 105th Shock Troops Division:
"Jump Feet First into Hell."
- The ODSTs get an even more badass one in the We Are ODST trailer. The song lyrics, translated from Welsh:
"We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us, we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise."
twice been conquered-
Three times more,
And never the Pfhor.''
- Swords, not words!
"Jump on your swords while you can, villainy, for I won't be as gentle!."
- "Nothing is pointless! And the reason is... because I'm the President of the United States of America!"
- World of Warcraft and the rest of the Warcraft franchise has a good number.
"I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
- The Horde in general has: "Lok'Tar Ogar! Blood and Thunder! My life for the Horde!", although the entire creed is rarely ever spoken in its entirety, except during a quest to grant the Taunka membership in World of Warcraft..
- Lok'tar Ogar translates as Victory or Death!
For The Horde!
- The Blood Elves have the straight-to-the-point
Death to those who oppose us!
High Commander Halford Wyrmbane
: Through the valleys and peaks of Mount Hyjal, across the shifting sands of Silithus, against the Legion's dread armies - we have fought. We are the nameless, faceless, sons and daughters of the Alliance. By the Light and by the might of the Alliance, the first strike belongs to us and the last strike is all that our enemies see. We are 7th Legion
- From Beyond Good & Evil, the code of Carlson & Peeters... kinda. While it does contain such statements of solidarity and strength as "W.W.T.A.O.: We Work Together As One!," the book's designated mouthpiece, Double H, seems to have... trouble separating the genuinely awesome from the mundane, treating both with equal gravitas.
- Reversal from Hitman 2, and possibly Real Life: "I don't know anything, I didn't see anything, I wasn't there, and if I was there I was asleep." A reversal because, rather than pointing out that people should be afraid of the speaker, it's pointing out that he should be afraid of other people.
- The Brotherhood of Nod from the Command & Conquer: Tiberian Series has plenty, being a Army loyal to Kane, the most prominent being:
Brotherhood. Unity. Peace.
One vision. One purpose.
Peace through Power. (Sometimes combined with the previous one)
You can't kill the Messiah. (Kane's personal motto.)
- And, in one scene from Tiberian Sun:
Slavik: In the name of Kane!
Army of Nod Troops: Kane lives in death!
Slavik: In the name of Kane!
Army: Kane lives in death!
Slavik: In the name of Kane!
Army: Kane lives in-
Kane: KANE... LIVES!
- [PROTOTYPE]'s Blackwatch:
- I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come!
- The N.O.L. has their own:
"Dispatched in mankind's darkest hour, we are knights of the blue flame!"
- And three more, though the second is a parody.
"Hailed by the heavens, earth, and people, the one and only Bang Shishigami
is now here!"
"The heavens, the earth, and a million squirrels call to me!
* Huh? What? They don't?"
Upon activating his Bang Install
super: "Quicker than the Winds and as Still as the Forest! Hotter than Flames and more Magnificent than a Mountain!
- Several characters use one during their Astral Finishes. For Example:
Oh silver blade, forged in the depths of the beyond, heed my summons and purge those who stand in my way! Lay waste.
- Better yet, her other Astral quote:
From beyond the realm of souls and birth; I call upon the Ur-Sword to bring ruin upon my enemies. Perish
- That's right. The UR-SWORD. The original blade.
White feathers for innocence. Black feathers for darkest sin. We are the message endeavors of God, come to deliver righteous justice! Let sinners be punished. Let justice be done!
This world was created by the hands of the Gods. Every thing is false. Everything is a lie! The final days have come. And now, LET EVERYTHING BE DESTROYED!!!
Allow me to show you the power... Of the full moon! Night has now fallen... The moon shines bright! The play is now through!
I'll show you there is no hell. Only Darkness! This is the power of the Azure!
- Occasionally subverted by Makoto, who sometimes does the N.O.L creed, but gets halfway through saying it and then forgets the rest. Of course, played straight when she does it correctly.
Dispatched in mankind's darkest... Uh... *mumbling* Oh, forget it!
- The Bonus Boss of Super Mario RPG:
I am matter.
I am antimatter.
I can see your past.
I can see your future.
I consume time...
And I will consume you!
- Devil May Cry 4 with Dante when he receives Lucifer.
- Also some kind of an oath (of Holy Knights of the Order of the Sword?) from "Shall Never Surrender":
My honoured brethren
we come together
to unite as one
against those that are damned
we show no mercy
for we have none.
Our enemies shall fall
as we uprise
to claim our fate
now and forever
we'll be together
in love and hate.
- Here's one in Tales of Destiny 2, said by Judas:
Majiwara zarishi inochi ni, ima mo tarasaren setsuna no kiseki/Instant miracles are not brought to mix with life now
Toki wo hete...Koko ni yuugou seshi mirai he no taidou!/Time passes... Unite here and rise to the future!
Boku wa... kako wo tachikiru. Chire!/I cut off the past... Scatter!
Blood rejects blood, heart breaks heart,
Miracles won't come true, therefore, they don't exist...
- My name is Ultima... I am power both ancient and unrivaled... I do not bleed, for I am but strength given form... Feeble creatures of flesh... Your time is nigh!
- Or, as we used to know it, "My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!"
- The title character of Mega Man Zero gives us this little gem, said at the end of the fourth and final game (of the series):
Zero: "I never cared about justice, and I don't ever recall calling myself a hero... I have always only fought for the people that I believe in. I won't hesitate... If an enemy appears before me, I will destroy it!"
- Copy X's Guardian Hidden Phantom has one as well.
Phantom: Give light to people. Give death to Mavericks. No one shall disgrace master X. Your termination will now commence!
- In Modern Warfare 2, Captain Price gives an epicly poetic-awesome speech in response to General Shepherd betraying him & Soap:
"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury. Not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory. Outgunned. Outnumbered. Out of our minds. On a suicide mission. But the sand and the rocks here, stained with thousands of years of warfare...They will remember us. For this. Because out of all our vast array of nightmares, this is the one we choose for ourselves. We go forward like a breath exhaled from the Earth. With vigor in our hearts and one goal in sight: We. Will. Kill him."
- The only line not chosen by the player, from the Demifiend/Hitoshura from Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne in Digital Devil Saga.
Dying message: "Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road. Neither human, nor devil... all bends to my will."
- Final Fantasy X
Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain - or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!
- Planescape: Torment has Dak'kon with this:
Know that when death comes for you,
know that I shall meet its blade with mine.
Know that when all dies around you,
Know I shall live for your sake.
- What about: "Endure. In enduring grow strong."?
- Devil Jin starts every fight with "Kyoufu o oshiete yarou." ("I will teach you how to fear.")
- Sanger Zonvolt would like to remind you that HE IS THE SWORD THAT SMITES EVIL!
- NCR 1st Recon: The last thing you never see.
- "It was pretty accurate, and so were we."
- And boy do they live up to it. Sending a single squad of these guys was considered a major military asset.
- The Zuul from Sword of the Stars have the species-wide creed, which also finishes its leader's Badass Boast in the intro:
- Alpha Protocol, for the eponymous organization: Quo Nemi Sequi Potest. "Where No One Can Follow."
- EVE Online:
- The Ushra'Khan alliance: "We come for our people."
- Those who fly Minmatar ships: "In Rust We Trust."
- The Amarr loyalists have their age-old Battle Cry "Amarr Victor!"
- When the Empyrean War broke out, some Minmatar loyalists adopted the rejoinder "Matar Victor!"
- Battlefield: Bad Company has the Legionaires and their motto "Acta Non Verba" which literally means in Latin "Action, Not Words."
- What about Andrew Ryan's personal motto?
"A man chooses. A slave obeys..."
- From BioShock 2 "We will be reborn in the cold womb of the ocean."
- Demonbane: "From the hate-scorched sky / With righteous anger in our hearts / We draw forth the sword that smites Evil / Thou art the innocent blade—Demonbane!"
- From Fire Emblem the guild of assassins knows as The Black Fang "The Fang lets none escape"
- The Midnight Squad in City of Heroes:
We gather in moonlight
when the clock strikes midnight,
With intellect our torch
and humanity our compass.
Quill or sword in hand,
we move through the mysteries of the night,
Despite what horrors we face
or dark lore we uncover.
We shall press on.
For this is the oath
and the burden of the Midnighter.
- From Samurai Shodown
It is a Bushi's nature
To fight and die
I will be a victorious devil
And all of my enemies will be
Cut into pieces
- And also:
To have no fear
To slice and kill
- The Orders of Tyria in Guild Wars 2 each have one (or several, in the case of the Whispers):
Order of Whispers: "Fight what cannot be fought." / "Know what cannot be known." / "Kill what cannot be killed."
The Vigil: "Some must fight, so that all may be free."
Durmand Priory: "Your power is only equal to the sum of your knowledge."
- In Dangan Ronpa, Naegi's "I'm more optimistic than most people" becomes this by the end of the game.
- From Dawn of War we have the creed of the Blood Raven Chapter's Chaplain:
"Pain now; reward in the afterlife."
- Another one that is said by just about all the Adeptus Astartes:
"Only in death does duty end."
- Or for those chosen to be interred in Dreadnoughts:
Duty does not end in death; death is only the beginning.
- After the Aurelian Crusade, we get this gem from the Blood Ravens:
"None shall find us wanting."
- The Dark Eldar has one that is (appropriately) equal parts inspiring and terrifying: "No death!" Heartening, until you realize they mean no death for their enemies. The longer version is "Death only after great pain."
- A meta example in Dwarf Fortress: "Losing is fun." Translated to the common man, this would read a bit more like "We entertain ourselves through fire and death".
- In Kult: Heretic Kingdoms, the five rulers of the Ancient Conspiracy each have their own rote phrase to describe their job in metaphorical terms. ("I am the fire...", "I am the blade...", etc.). One of them later becomes a Survival Mantra after one member is nearly killed by another.
- In Fate/stay night, there is Archer's Unlimited Blade Works aria, delivered in Surprisingly Good English:
I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unknown to Death, nor known to Life.
Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
Yet, those hands will never hold anything.
- Shirou gets their own version:
I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
I have created over a thousand blades.
Unaware of loss, nor aware of gain.
Withstood pain to create weapons, waiting for one's arrival.
I have no regrets; this is the only path.
- In the minecraft game Dwarves Vs Zombies, when the mobs get released, Old Man Wilikers shouts the dwaves:
I AM A DWARF! AND THIS IS MY SHRINE!
WE FEAR NOT DEATH, WE FEAR NOT TIME,
FOR WHEN THE SHRINE RUNS LOW,
AND THE ALE RUNS DRY,
KNOW THAT DEATH DID NOT CHOOSE ME,
I CHOSE THIS NIGHT!