Anime: Mokku of the Oak Tree
Kashi no Ki Mokku
(known as Pinocchio: The Series
in the Western world) is an anime adaptation of the story of Pinocchio
, made by Tatsunoko Productions
. It ran for 52 episodes in 1972 on Fuji Television. In 1990, Saban Entertainment
adapted the series into English. This version ran on HBO in 1992 and all over the world via Fox Kids
. Another dub was made in the mid-80s, this time of several episodes cut together into movie form. This version was made by Harmony Gold
Unlike the Disney version
, this version is far more like Carlo Collodi's original story, which was rather dark. In one infamous episode Pinocchio tries to kill a boy and take his heart to become human. Pinocchio himself was characterized as being prone to all the flaws of humanity, and he had to learn how to overcome them.
This anime contains examples of:
- Bowdlerize: The aforementioned episode where Pinocchio nearly commits murder had so much cut from the Saban dub that it ran several minutes short.
- Butt Monkey: Being a live toy puppet isn't easy when you are Pinnochio. He would constantly get tormented, persecuted, bullied, humiliated, tricked, ridiculed, and beaten.
- The Conscience: The Cricket, of course. Much as in the original book, he died in the beginning of the series and appeared as a ghost after that.
- Darker and Edgier: Considered to be more darker than the Disney and Nippon Animation ones.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Many of the voices, like Rick Jones and Walter Massey, can be heard in such other shows as The Littl' Bits and Samurai Pizza Cats.
- Kids Are Cruel: Many kids often pick on Pinocchio in the beginning of the show.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Pinnochio get this in an episode when he is forced to be adopted by a Nobleman and becomes the Prince, but becomes a huge Jerkass to his servants and randomly riding down any person who gets in his way, laughing at the horror, indignity and danger inflicted upon others for his personal amusement. But then get's punished by the blue fairy and turns his nose into a tree. And his stepfather who could not stop laughing at Pinnochio kicks him out, and the people he tormented comes back to plan on killing him but is saved by his real father.
- Pinocchio Nose: As is common to all versions of the story. It wasn't used very often, though.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Look back to the LaserGuidedKarma trope.