Anime: Mokku of the Oak Tree
Kashi no Ki Mokku
(known as Pinocchio: The Series
in the Western world) is an anime adaptation of the story of Pinocchio
, made by Tatsunoko Productions
. It ran for 52 episodes in 1972 on Fuji Television. In 1990, Saban Entertainment
adapted the series into English. This version ran on HBO in 1992 and all over the world via Fox Kids
. Another dub was made in the mid-80s, this time of several episodes cut together into movie form. This version was made by Harmony Gold
Unlike the Disney version
, this version is far more like Carlo Collodi's original story, which was rather dark. In one infamous episode Pinocchio tries to kill a boy and take his heart to become human. Pinocchio himself was characterized as being prone to all the flaws of humanity, and he had to learn how to overcome them.
This anime contains examples of:
- Adult Fear: Pinocchio breaks into a boy's bedroom at night and almost kills him before the boy's parents stop him.
- Bowdlerize: The aforementioned episode where Pinocchio nearly commits murder had so much cut from the Saban dub that it ran several minutes short.
- The way the episode is cut makes it seem like they fully dubbed the uncut version but they left the dubbed dialogue unchanged when they censored it, as Johnny somehow knows Pinocchio is trying to take his heart without Pinocchio telling him and the part where Johnny's father calls him a good-for-nothing as part of a Secret Test of Character where he pretended to let Pinocchio kill him and Johnny's father explaining why he put them through the Secret Test of Character were still left in even though said Secret Test of Character was cut.
- The death of the cricket was cut, though the cricket is still stated to be dead later.
- Butt Monkey: Being a live toy puppet isn't easy when you are Pinnochio. He would constantly get tormented, persecuted, bullied, humiliated, tricked, ridiculed, and beaten.
- Cats Are Mean: In the episode where Pinocchio almost kills a kid to steal his heart, a cat is the one who gives him the idea in the first place.
- The Conscience: The Cricket, of course. Much as in the original book, he died in the beginning of the series and appeared as a ghost after that.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: Pinocchio attempts to remove a boy's heart with a chisel.
- Darker and Edgier: Considered to be more darker than the Disney and Nippon Animation ones.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: The cricket is accidentally crushed by a mallet, with its insides frothing out of its mouth. In the dub, the part where the cricket falls over dead was cut.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Many of the voices, like Rick Jones and Walter Massey, can be heard in such other shows as The Littl' Bits and Samurai Pizza Cats.
- Kids Are Cruel: Many kids often pick on Pinocchio in the beginning of the show.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Pinnochio get this in an episode when he is forced to be adopted by a Nobleman and becomes the Prince, but becomes a huge Jerkass to his servants and randomly riding down any person who gets in his way, laughing at the horror, indignity and danger inflicted upon others for his personal amusement. But then get's punished by the blue fairy and turns his nose into a tree. And his stepfather who could not stop laughing at Pinnochio kicks him out, and the people he tormented comes back to plan on killing him but is saved by his real father.
- Papa Wolf: When Pinocchio attempts to kill a boy to take his heart, the boy's father attempts to kill Pinocchio in retaliation.
- Pinocchio Nose: As is common to all versions of the story. It wasn't used very often, though.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Look back to the LaserGuidedKarma trope.